Nook or Kindle?

This is a discussion on Nook or Kindle? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kindle for me... I have one of the "first editions" and still use that occasionally, and now use the Kindle app on my android phone. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Nook or Kindle?

Kindle for me... I have one of the "first editions" and still use that occasionally, and now use the Kindle app on my android phone. Next purchase may well be a fire...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Kindle. You never hear about Amazon on the brink of bankruptcy. Barnes and Noble on the other hand...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm not real tech savy, but am going to investigate Kindle and Chromebook. Now if I could just get through the pile of books already on the coffee table.
    You'll be surprised how much faster you read on an e-reader. I don't know why that is but it's true! Also, I love that I can bring tons of books with me in one little device! Can't do that with paper books.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Kindle for me... I have one of the "first editions" and still use that occasionally, and now use the Kindle app on my android phone. Next purchase may well be a fire...
    Get a Fire, you won't know what you did before having it! The new 7" HD model is fabulous. The size makes it very portable. I got the 8.9" for the 4G capability but if you're usually near a Wifi connection then you might not need it. It's quite a bit bigger but the good part about that is that it's easier to see without your reading glasses!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Nook... It reads epub which is every library in the US

And most importantly, the Kindle books via Amazon are not owned by you. You are leasing them and if Amazon thinks your kindle was ripped off, they can delete your account and remove your books from your kindle at any time. A friend lent her kindle to her dad for a cruise. He decided to purchase a couple of books using the on line Amazon app. Amazon assumed that the kindle was stolen and deleted the daughters account and zeroed her books off the kindle. Took her a few months to get her account back up due to a run around at Amazon.

Nook books are owned by you. Sure, if your account is compromised because your Nook was stolen, YOU can contact B&N and they will zero your Nook. YOU have control... not B&N... I own three nooks and had a kindle. All are great readers. My Nook Color is now a small tablet using the N2A chip ($19.99 or $17.99 with online coupon) and I can switch between an Android tablet or a reader. Not the fastest processor but it works. My favorite is the Nook Glow. I can read it outside like a Kindle paper but I can also read it in a dimly lit room using the LED's that surround the tablet. You can access/borrow from the local library for books and after two weeks, they will go away on their own.

BTW, my nooks that are B&W last over a month on a charge, the color nook lasts a couple of days depending on what is on (blue tooth, location services, etc) like a smart phone.

Good luck on whatever you decide on... as I stated, both a great e-readers... you just have more choices with a Nook...

oh and the bankruptcy thing about B&N are the brick and mortar stores in some areas. The B&N online is a separate company and is in no way close to any financial concerns... Plus Nook books are available outside of B&N... not true for Kindle unless you torrent.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I suggest Nook if your getting a color reader.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm telling you, Chromebook.

Supports .epub, does color, the whole nine yards.
    And you can buy books from Amazon and own the copy.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

My youngest daughter has the Nook. She can get library books and more importantly school text books. In our house my daughters and wife have IPAD, IPOD, I phone, the nook and each have a lap top. All I know is I PAID.
    Last edited by txron; December 4th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
    niks and bigmacque like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Book. Don't need no stinkin' Kindle or Nook crapping out on me. Progress isn't worth a hoot when it quits on you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Still using cap and ball, OldVet? ;-)
    Cook74 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Still using cap and ball, OldVet? ;-)
    As a matter of fact, I do have one!! And a bow. And a knife. And a few sizeable rocks on hand!!
    bigmacque likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nook or Kindle?

Neither, I Pad mini.

Faster browsing then my wife's Nook and I was not impressed with the Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Book. Don't need no stinkin' Kindle or Nook crapping out on me. Progress isn't worth a hoot when it quits on you.
    I'm sure some guy way back in the day said "I don't see what all this fuss about paper is. It'll be a cold day in hell when I give up my stone tablets! Hey you kids... GET OFF MY LAWN!"
    OldVet and Jeanlouise like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Can't speak for others, but I have a Kindle Fire, and I love it. Easy to use and nice screen. It does NOT have 3G, (maybe newer ones do) just wi-fi... My original Kindle (without the color screen) did have 3G, which was really nice. Not having 3G on the Kindle Fire has not been an issue at all...

VIP Member
    I bought the Kindle Fire for my Dad last Veterans Day, he loved it. Of course, I played with it for a while before giving it to him. I've also used the Nook, but I'd much prefer one of the newer Galaxy tablets over either or, since as many have said, you can just download either app for your e-reading needs.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm in the neither group. Get a Nexus 7. Load the Kindle and Nook reader and go with it. The Kindle has a more limited set of the Google Play store apps.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links