Nook or Kindle?

This is a discussion on Nook or Kindle? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After glancing at the option 1 or 2 thread, E-readers came to mind. I'm in the market and would like to know what people use ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Nook or Kindle?

Nook or Kindle?

After glancing at the option 1 or 2 thread, E-readers came to mind. I'm in the market and would like to know what people use and some pros and cons between the Nook and Kindle. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I would recommend the Kindle. Amazon runs a lot of daily deals and limited time free books that I've not seen on the Nook. Kindle Buffet is a great website to get a heads up of books temporarily running for free. I believe you can borrow from the library on both devices (that might vary where you live though?) but in our experience, borrowing on the Kindle has been pretty easy.

I use an iPad and have the Kindle, Nook and iBooks apps on it, but use the Kindle one 99% of the time. One of my kids has a Kindle and another might get one for Christmas.

Kindle...just because it is the only one I have used.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What are you going to use it for? Just reading and nothing else? Depending on what you are looking to do, a refurbished iPad2 has a Kindle app and gives you more versatility. The Kindle Fire has 3G capability. Nook is cheapest.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I'm a fan of my Kindle Fire. I admit I have no experience with the Nook, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    What are you going to use it for? Just reading and nothing else? Depending on what you are looking to do, a refurbished iPad2 has a Kindle app and gives you more versatility. The Kindle Fire has 3G capability. Nook is cheapest.
    I was just planning to borrow from the library and purchase a book when necessary. Really don't know all the technical stuff that can be done.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Neither. For the price, buy a Chromebook. Then you have a full blown computer for the same price, and everything follows you around.

Kindle is just an app, a Kindle is an app with it's own carrying case. But the Kindle app can run on anything, even an Apple device. So you can store all Kindle content in the cloud, and access it on your phone or your little Chromebook.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Add me to the Kindle list. I have 4 of them. A couple of years ago I got the Kindle e-reader and liked it so much I got one for my husband for Christmas that year. Then came the Kindle Fire 7" w/wifi last year and I loved that! I used it constantly.
    This year for my birthday my husband got me the Kindle Fire 8.9" with wifi and 4G capability. Amazon offers a $49.00 a year deal for 4G service, I have that. Now, where ever I go I can read, search the web, e-mail or whatever. I never did get a smart phone so this takes the place of it for me. It's an Android system and has lots of apps.

I love Amazon's service and there are lots of help sections on their web site. I've never had a problem with any of my Kindles.

I don't know about the Nook but just having Amazon support made the decision for me at first.
    bigmacque likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Kindle Buffet is a great website to get a heads up of books temporarily running for free.
    Lish, thanks for posting that web site. It's one I haven't seen yet. I'm going to browse through it later this afternoon.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

kindle.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Put me down in the Amazon camp for service and selection as well. The iTunes store is limited compared to Amazon, and the Nook is just going to cater to B&N -- and I don't know if you've ever noticed this or not, but B&N's selection is limited to the point of censorship. Amazon is it for me, and that seques perfectly into Android devices and Chromebook for a portable computer / e-reader / e-mailer, etc. And I don't need tap-a-talk to come here and harrass you folks.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Kindle, at least for the iPad. The Kindle app lets you download directly to the device so you can read anytime. The Nook app requires an internet connection so you can't use it when you have no internet availability.
    bigmacque likes this.

Thanks everyone. I'm not real tech savy, but am going to investigate Kindle and Chromebook. Now if I could just get through the pile of books already on the coffee table.

Oh yeah, I think it was mentioned before. You can use the Kindle app on your iPhone or iPad and have your books synced no matter which way you read it.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I prefer the Nook because of the .EPUB format support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links