Strength Training/Bodybuilding Workout on a Time Crunch

This is a discussion on Strength Training/Bodybuilding Workout on a Time Crunch within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm pretty familiar with the usual, split up the body parts workouts. I used to do strength 5-6 days/week, along with cardio...that's how I lost ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By iguanadon
  • 1 Post By CobraPace

Thread: Strength Training/Bodybuilding Workout on a Time Crunch

Strength Training/Bodybuilding Workout on a Time Crunch

I'm pretty familiar with the usual, split up the body parts workouts. I used to do strength 5-6 days/week, along with cardio...that's how I lost all my weight and got in awesome shape. I'm also familiar with endurance training, and that's what I've mostly done this year chasing an Ironman finish line. Now that that's done, I want to find the most effective way to balance the two. I lost a lot of strength and upper body muscle mass doing 25 hours of cardio per week, and I want my strength and muscle back (and to trim some extra lard I packed on training for the Ironman). However, I need less hours of weights per week and more time to still train for shorter triathlons and some foot races.

I'm thinking 3-4 strength sessions per week. Hardcore, gonna make you puke sessions - not the light, fluffy stuff most endurance athletes do. What are your favorite exercises and/or whole body routine for building?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

I got a little winded just reading that...
    oakchas likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

At 40 years of age I decided to get in the best shape of my life, would have been a lot easier at 18-25 but it is what it is.

I've had great results so far doing heavy, concentrated weight and targeting specific muscle groups, and I'm in the gym for 30-45 minutes tops, 3-4 days/week.

I switch between cables and dumbbells, and throw in power sets now and then to switch it up (biceps/triceps for example).

3-4 exercises per muscle group
    3 sets of 10 reps is my goal, if I do 3 sets of 10 I increase weight the next time.
    30 seconds to a minute (max) between sets.

My only supplements are energy drinks (I really like the Great Value stuff in the black box) and whey protein (~an hour before and about 30 minutes after the workout).

If it works for me at 41 it has to work even better for someone younger.

Check out Crossfit. It is very intense. Good for strength and stamina. Will get you in shape.
    HKinNY likes this.

First Welcome back Cupcake. I go to CrossFit almost every morning. I did Tough Mudder about 6 weeks ago. Lost appx 20 pounds and gained alot of muscle. PM me your email and will send you the WOD Work Of Day. Worldest Greatest thing. Workout is appx 16-28 minutes after warm-up. You get more done in less time. Most places will give u a free tryout.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Thanks for the input! I would for sure be interested in crossfit, but a guy can only afford so many gyms... So far, I've got the Rock climbing gym and LA fitness so I have close access to a pool at numerous locations. I'll be doing tough mudder in June...some WODs would be awesome!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links