Prepping - or Fiscal Cliff Survival - What are you doing to survive?

This is a discussion on Prepping - or Fiscal Cliff Survival - What are you doing to survive? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I like the skylight, I will remember that...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Prepping - or Fiscal Cliff Survival - What are you doing to survive?

Senior Moderator
    I like the skylight, I will remember that
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I like the skylight, I will remember that
    I was going to put in two of them but figured one was enough to allow enough light in to see around when the door was closed. I put in a 2' wide shelf on that back wall that's 6 feet off of the ground so that in the spring, we'll be able to maybe start some plants in there from seed beings that it may be cool outside but having a black roof, it should get nice and warm in there. Not sure how good that will work but we'll see.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    I dont think that we will go over the fiscal cliff or that Obamacare will hurt us , im not worried about those things. Thats not to say i dont have plans for other events that wouldn't help should an economic collapse occur.
    "We are near the end" has been said before, I get that. But being in debt up to your chin and still spending more than you make has got to end at some point and time. I'm curious what other "events" you think could collapse the country economically? It will happen, as sure as the sun comes up, but when and what comes from it, is the question.
    atctimmy and Jeanlouise like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    "We are near the end" has been said before, I get that. But being in debt up to your chin and still spending more than you make has got to end at some point and time. I'm curious what other "events" you think could collapse the country economically? It will happen, as sure as the sun comes up, but when and what comes from it, is the question.
    Bad times will come but I dont feel it will ever come so fast or unexpectedly that they (the feds) wont have plans to control social collapse. I think they will get their act together in time, neither party wants their program spending cut (hence the problem.) so they'll work on a compromise or maybe the dems will just win, we'll see. Lastly I think Obamacare is a good thing so im not scared of that at all, id rather a system closer to England's then Massachusetts but we've had our system for a while and its ok.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I was going to put in two of them but figured one was enough to allow enough light in to see around when the door was closed. I put in a 2' wide shelf on that back wall that's 6 feet off of the ground so that in the spring, we'll be able to maybe start some plants in there from seed beings that it may be cool outside but having a black roof, it should get nice and warm in there. Not sure how good that will work but we'll see.
    I've made some cold frames out of scrap windows and an old entertainment console. They help me get my tomatoes started 3-6 weeks early.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Bad times will come but I dont feel it will ever come so fast or unexpectedly that they (the feds) wont have plans to control social collapse. I think they will get their act together in time, neither party wants their program spending cut (hence the problem.) so they'll work on a compromise or maybe the dems will just win, we'll see. Lastly I think Obamacare is a good thing so im not scared of that at all, id rather a system closer to England's then Massachusetts but we've had our system for a while and its ok.
    Maybe I'm just misinformed as hell, but if not, why would we set a goal below what we currently have? If we are to think that the HC system is poorly run, cost inefficient, and burdened with red tape... why would anyone think adding a level of beauracrats would improve it? Is this not the definition of insanity? Don't know about you but I'm paying more and the job creators that I know, have been sitting on their hands for the last 4 years, wondering what would come of it. It's a trainwreck.

Lets get it over I say. Give the Dems the keys and get in the bunker.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It WAS about Kentucky.

"I want to be in Kentucky when the end of the world comes, because it's always 20 years behind."
    Mark Twain
    It is possible that he also said it anout KY, but ...

If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there ten years later.
    Mark Twain

More Mark Twain Quotes
    Read more at If the world comes to an... at BrainyQuote
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Are you guys trying to tell me that I have to take care of myself?

Isn't that what the government is for?

What's prepping?

Do they have an App for that?
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

A full fall over the fiscal cliff will result in a recession, not zombies and civil unrest. We have been in recession anyway for the past many years. Just a step backward not some Great Depression. But as always I am prepared for any event..

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Maybe I'm just misinformed as hell, but if not, why would we set a goal below what we currently have? If we are to think that the HC system is poorly run, cost inefficient, and burdened with red tape... why would anyone think adding a level of beauracrats would improve it? Is this not the definition of insanity? Don't know about you but I'm paying more and the job creators that I know, have been sitting on their hands for the last 4 years, wondering what would come of it. It's a trainwreck.

Lets get it over I say. Give the Dems the keys and get in the bunker.
    I dont think that our current health care system works and doing nothing certainly wont help that. Also i never bought the whole the government always fails thing, when its in their best interest they do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    A full fall over the fiscal cliff will result in a recession, not zombies and civil unrest. We have been in recession anyway for the past many years. Just a step backward not some Great Depression. But as always I am prepared for any event..
    I agree, I just have hope that these things will lead to a better situation but at worst it will be the steady fall we've been experiencing anyway.

How are these gardens, orchards, etc. gonna' help anyone get through the collapse when you won't be able to protect the veggies & fruits from roaming bands of hungry people? And if you FIND enough people to protect the food, then you've got to have LOTS MORE FOOD. Isn't that the basis of...civilization?
    Edward7 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How are these gardens, orchards, etc. gonna' help anyone get through the collapse when you won't be able to protect the veggies & fruits from roaming bands of hungry people? And if you FIND enough people to protect the food, then you've got to have LOTS MORE FOOD. Isn't that the basis of...civilization?
    I can't speak for others here but my plan doesn't include feeding the masses or finding people. My plan is to be able to use the resources that I have at my disposal, mix it with a little work and in return, be able to ease the affects of the dollar becoming worth less and less. Hopefully the investment will pay off in the long run and it doesn't come down to any of us having to defend what we have. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared for a disaster whether it be financially or naturally.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

It's all European style Physcological Warfare on the mind tatics! There isn't going to be a Fiscal Nothing happening. Mind you, yes, we are in Debt but this Government of ours always seems to have a Crises to scare the Hell into People.

I pray that this country's Citizenary wakes up from being Hypmotised and gets on the ball of being Conscience! Your Conscience is Almighty God and HE is trying to keep us from actually falling off a cliff!

I agree with an earlier post that is political theater used to advance an agenda.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links