What is your greeting this season? - Page 4

What is your greeting this season?

This is a discussion on What is your greeting this season? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Merry Christmas, Have a Happy Hanukah, a Kwazy Kwanza and a tip top Tet....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: What is your greeting this season?

Merry Christmas, Have a Happy Hanukah, a Kwazy Kwanza and a tip top Tet.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If they start the Christmas music and displays any earlier, by the time Christmas actually gets here it will be a greeting I can't say on the forum.

Seriously, do they have to start before Halloween is even over?

Halloween - Happy Halloween

Thanksgiving - Happy Thanksgiving

Christmas - Merry Christmas

Birthday - Happy Birthday

Anniversary - Happy Anniversary

I don't start off saying Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays on the day after Halloween like the department store commercials do.
    Civil_Response and msgt/ret like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Im a secular, war on Christmas, liberal kinda guy, I just think its rude to assume a stranger is the same religion as you. Its more on the fact that you're assuming then what you're assuming.
    I don't assume anything about whether someone is the same religion as I am. To me, it's not about verbal technicalities, it's about the spirit of the holidays and wishing someone goodwill in the name of the holiday season. If I say Merry Christmas to someone and they respond with Happy Hanukkah, I'm fine with that, that's the way it should be.

We have to live together and it should be more about understanding, and appreciating the diversity of freedom we have, and less like interpretations of "offended" and "rude".
    RAL, Lish, mprp and 3 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Merry Christmas has always my greeting and I ain't gonna change now.

I actually don't typically initiate a holiday type greeting. I don't want to get someone riled up if I say Happy Holidays, which has happened before... So I'll smile and say "hi" or "bye" or "good to see you" or whatever. If someone gives me a holiday greeting, I'll respond in kind.
    Civil_Response likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If any sort of "Seasons Greeting" offends anyone, those folks need a good butt-kicking so that they know there are so many other things in life to be concerned about. Really.

There, I said it. Bah, Humbug!
    Civil_Response, mprp and Hoganbeg like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Merry Christmas. It doesn't matter if you believe or not, Christmas only exists because we celebrate the birth of Christ. "Merry Christmas" is always appropriate. If He had not been born there would be no Christmas season. You can give any greeting you desire and I will not be offended. I just most firmly believe you are mistaken.
    RAL likes this.

VIP Member
    You don't have to be Christian to be "merry" on Christmas and you don't have to be Jewish to be "happy" on Hanukah.

You just have to be willing to be "merry" or "happy".

If you are offended by someone who wishes you to be "merry" or "happy" you have a lot bigger problems to worry about than what day of the year they wish you to be "merry" or "happy" on.
    Civil_Response, RAL, Lish and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

What is your greeting this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Im a secular, war on Christmas, liberal kinda guy, I just think its rude to assume a stranger is the same religion as you. Its more on the fact that you're assuming then what you're assuming.
    Always glad to meet a fellow raging liberal atheist. I know what you're saying, but I think at this point it's just cultural and not religious.
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If they start the Christmas music and displays any earlier, by the time Christmas actually gets here it will be a greeting I can't say on the forum.

Seriously, do they have to start before Halloween is even over?
    One day the only candy given out on Halloween will be candy canes and everyone will wear santa and elf costumes, mark my words.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Merry Christmas & if that offends someone,,,, they will get over it.

You cant get upset with people getting mad at you if you're doing it on purpose. I always side with the anti christmas folks for that very reason, if the religious folk used common sense it would never have become a law argument.

Hey ... good day.

If the other offers up a season/holiday-oriented greeting, I typically offer a "... and to you" reply.

Simple enough, warm enough for those open to simple greetings, non-invasive, and accommodating enough in reply to cater to everyone's tastes (religious, not, other).

Back when, occasionally we'd all be skiing on a holiday when the powder was great, and we'd often say "Great snow day to you!" Worked just fine, for whomever we met. They understood, occasionally responding with "Happy Christmas" or whatever. It all worked out fine, as everyone was just out enjoying living that day anyway.
    Edward7 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ValpoHawkeye View Post
    Always glad to meet a fellow raging liberal atheist. I know what you're saying, but I think at this point it's just cultural and not religious.
    I'm not an atheist, but I was just going to say the same thing. I think it is a bit high-handed to get offended when someone is trying to be courteous. If someone said, "Merry Flying-Spaghetti-Monster-mas" and meant it as friendly well-wishing, why should I be offended?

As for me, it is Merry Ramahaunakwanzmas

ramahanukwanzmas.jpg
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links