Syria & sarin gas - Page 2

Syria & sarin gas

This is a discussion on Syria & sarin gas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What happens here directly impacts our foreign policy and position in the region. Iran wants Syria to stay in its sphere of influence, that is ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Syria & sarin gas

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What happens here directly impacts our foreign policy and position in the region. Iran wants Syria to stay in its sphere of influence, that is its direct conduit to its proxy army in south Lebanon, Hezbollah. Turkey wants to replace Iran as the regions power player, and events at its border with Syria could drag in NATO as Turkey is a NATO member. Lebanon is already destabilized due to the civil war, it is spilling over into northern Lebanon already. I read this site daily along wiht numerous others in the region, a better "boots on the ground" view:

Lebanon news - NOW Lebanon :: If not now, when?

Our dithering has enabled Iran in this situation.
    Toorop likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I heard that Sarin gas is made from Iocane powder. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to Iocane powder.
    Inconceivable!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Ehh both sides are full of terrorists, I lose no sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Ehh both sides are full of terrorists, I lose no sleep at night.
    Huh? Assad is a despicable despot who has murdered in cold blood tens of thousands of his own people. The opposition groups ( a loosely organized federation has some jihadist elements, but I would not compare the two sides. The longer this goes on the more of a mess the jihadists will be able to stir up.

Scary stuff... Human bug spray...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I find it interesting that this isn't getting much coverage outside of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Huh? Assad is a despicable despot who has murdered in cold blood tens of thousands of his own people. The opposition groups ( a loosely organized federation has some jihadist elements, but I would not compare the two sides. The longer this goes on the more of a mess the jihadists will be able to stir up.
    You wouldn't but I do. Fight like a terrorist (which the they are) get labeled a terrorist.

Lesser of two evils doesn't really apply here. They both suck. If the radicals had access to Assads arms, they'd use them too.

Not saying it's right, I just don't support either and don't want my taxes helping them. That part of the world is screwed anyhow.

VIP Member
    I have long been personally surprised by Assad's bad behavior. When his father died
    I actually thought he might turn out to be a huge improvement; as Jordan's present King seems
    to be.

I noted that Assad is well educated-- an M.D. Opthalmologist; lived and was educated and I think practiced
    medicine in the UK. I had hoped that his exposure to things British would have brought him to be
    much more moderate than his father. Apparently not so.

I have no strong feelings on the mess except that it sure seems a horrid shame that so many are ending
    up dead and maimed because of the actions of so few. Ain't it always the case :-
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I find it interesting that this isn't getting much coverage outside of the US.
    Actually it is heavily covered in the middle east and the Levant. See my first post for a link.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I heard that Sarin gas is made from Iocane powder. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to Iocane powder.
    You're sick.

Ahaa! A cure: stop with the daily Iocane regimen. I'm sure you'll cease needing the double-ended bucket there.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And knows full well that all that "sanctuary" is is a prison cell he gets to decorate. And when his presence becomes inconvenient he will be handed over to the world court for trial or get a little polonium in his salad dressing. He can die alone as a "guest" somewhere or he can wait until the rebels are knocking on his door and be at ground zero for his gas attack.

This is his Alamo.
    We've helped other dictators to get out the door alive and stay free. Notably Marcos. Russia offered Assad sanctuary
    or so I read. There are plenty of 'nice guys' who wouldn't turn him over to any international court; e.g., some of
    the new dictators of old Soviet stans.

Some folks are just stubborn and don't believe what they are being told is happening, is actually happening.
    Quadafi and Sadam are two examples of folks who had exit options but chose to not take them.
    Mubarak (an improvement on the others by far) also didn't make a graceful exit when he had the opportunity.

Looks like Assad has not learned by watching the fate of those around him. That will become a tragedy for him as
    an individual, one which I think is still avoidable if he would use the brain he obviously has.
    Last edited by Hopyard; December 6th, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I think he meant Muslims. That seems to be the new synonym by the ignorant for Terrorists.

Either way it is an interesting situation and very tragic.
    Edward7 likes this.

Do we even have a foreign policy???
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Do we even have a foreign policy???
    Yep. It's ferrin to us.
    paaiyan likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links