Why many eye witnesses are mediocre at best

This is a discussion on Why many eye witnesses are mediocre at best within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Look at this picture....... witness.jpg ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ At first glance most people will say the woman is sitting ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Why many eye witnesses are mediocre at best

Look at this picture.......

witness.jpg

At first glance most people will say the woman is sitting down......
    Attached Images
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Saw that on FB. I'm calling 'shopped on that one. Somethig is "off" about it IMO. The "girl" in the back has feminine legs and jeans, but a very guy-like shirt on, no semblance of boobs, and where the shirt sleeve meets the arm it looks prety funky. And those have got to be the most feminine pants I've ever seen on a straight guy...JMO

But people are bad witnesses coz they walk around in the white zone, oblivious to everything around them.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Saw that on FB. I'm calling 'shopped on that one. Something is "off" about it IMO.
    You most likely are correct that it is photo shopped. However it is a picture that shows sometimes what we think we see turns out to be not so true.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Glad to know that I am not one of those walking in the fog. Looked pretty straight forward to me. Arms to seem a bit funky as stated earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Saw that on FB. I'm calling 'shopped on that one. Somethig is "off" about it IMO. The "girl" in the back has feminine legs and jeans, but a very guy-like shirt on, no semblance of boobs, and where the shirt sleeve meets the arm it looks prety funky. And those have got to be the most feminine pants I've ever seen on a straight guy...JMO

But people are bad witnesses coz they walk around in the white zone, oblivious to everything around them.

Better look again Tala... White cargo jean/shorts, as long as they wear them today... women's polo shirts... boobs hidden by shoulder, pressed against his back and perhaps she's not well endowed. I don't think it's been PSd...

But, when I first saw it, I was looking for 3 people.... the boy and girl hugging a second male with his head between the two, hidden.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

There are some common misconceptions about perception. People think that their senses capture an objective picture (or sound or feeling, etc.) of what is around them. It's not true. Our sensory organs merely take in raw data and send it to the brain. The brain then constructs the perception that we experience. That means that our perceptions are very easy to fool. It also means that our biases, life experiences, and many other factors can influence the content of the perception.

Senior Moderator
    yeah but did you guys notice the squirrel in the background?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

At first glance most people will say the woman is sitting down......

AAAHHHHH! Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    yeah but did you guys notice the squirrel in the background?
    Missed the squirrel... but saw the sniper in the ghillie suit preparing to take the guy out as soon as he had a clear shot, for wearing feminine jeans on his hairy legs.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Wow, fooled me and my Wife, good one!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    There is another problem with eye witnesses: bias and opinion. Many years ago, I was in a rather minor car accident. I had just pulled left out of a parking lot and was traveling straight on a brick road. About the same time, a car had pulled out of a parking lot, just down the road in the direction I was traveling but turning towards my direction. He saw me coming and stopped with his car turned left at about a 45 degree angle, in my lane. The road was brick and wet and even though I was going less than the legal speed, I could not stop in time. The result was that I hit the corner of his bumper square in the middle of my front bumper. To reiterate, the guy pulled out into oncoming traffic, turning left and stopped in the lane of oncoming traffic. The police were called. There was also a witness, a university professor. I was a student of this university and the other guy (and his young daughter) were customers of the McDonalds on the street. The police officer refused to render a fault opinion claiming that there were conflicting statements and that he would let the insurance companies fight it out. I obtained a copy of the police report with the witness statement. It amounted to this: "I saw the whole thing. It was definitely (my) fault. He must have been going too fast."

Ultimately, I paid the deductible on getting my car fixed. A few months later, my insurance company reimbursed me for the deductible after they filed a suit against the guy and won.

Lead Moderator
    Without looking again how many can report what colored clothes each person is wearing? Approximate weight and height of each person? How many remotes are sitting on the table?
    Unless you practice noticing these things it can be difficult to recall even the most basic details.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

At first I was fooled all the way,after a long close look it is quite clear.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Without looking again how many can report what colored clothes each person is wearing? Approximate weight and height of each person? How many remotes are sitting on the table?
    Unless you practice noticing these things it can be difficult to recall even the most basic details.
    Him: black shirt, white cargo jeans, 180, 5'10-6'0"
    Her: Purple knit top, denim jeans, probably stretch, 120, 5'6-8"
    3 remotes... 1 laptop

It was that stuff I WAS looking for...

4 chairs (low barstool height) at an extension of the counter in the kitchen/LR division
    1 vase of flowers on the coffee table... pinkish? with the remotes and laptop
    black and white striped Hoodie/scarf/overshirt on the back of the red chair in which he sits. The chair matches the sofa or loveseat upon which left arm she is resting her weight.

He has white anklet socks on... they sell 'em for men, but I think they're fey. She... was she barefoot? can't remember. That was without a re look after my posting above about the ghillie suit.

ETA after a re look...

I did not notice the vertical stripes on his shirt... missed half the flowers in the vase the greenish ones. And, I was wrong about the height of the chairs at the bar.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

That was easy, no real guy would wear a purple shirt like that! :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Sponsored Links