"Arming" the students!??!?!

"Arming" the students!??!?!

This is a discussion on "Arming" the students!??!?! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I just saw a quick soundbite on Fox News about this. Supposedly there is a company/contractor out there that is teaching that hiding under ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Question "Arming" the students!??!?!

So I just saw a quick soundbite on Fox News about this. Supposedly there is a company/contractor out there that is teaching that hiding under desks and running away from attackers is not the way. This company instructs teachers and students how to take-down students with firearms/disable them and what to do with them. The "Fight Back" mentality.

Thoughts?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm all for the fight back mentality, but what they really need to be teaching is tactical sense. Rushing someone with a gun is going to get you shot, plain and simple. Using availible cover, arming yourself with whatever you can get your hands on, staying calm, and moving with tactical intelligence is the best way for students, who cannot legally carry their own guns, to stay alive.

Bob is right on key here. Tactical Intelligence is what should be taught and practiced until no other choice or opportuntiy avails itsself. Taking a table leg to someone with a gun is not a smart choice, but may be the only one in some instances. The object is to be able to decide which is which.

I caught a bit of this at lunch today. They told students to throw everything they had at the attacker to distract them so an adult could take them down. How's that for tactical.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Cover fire :D

Nothing like a dictionary upside the head. Oh, and a valid reason for eraser fights!

Josh <><

If this is the tactic the be taught to students, you can be sure that down the road, these kids will be the same people to author and support CCW and self defense initiatives.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I am all for the "fight back" mentality. We are raising far too many sheep in this country. I think this might be plausable over a certain age, and maybe with certain students. You don't want to teach the bully of the class to be more aggesive than he/she already is for example. This would have to be very carefully applied.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I think they should be taught in these horrible situations that it is either....

FIGHT or FLIGHT....they should be taught to do something other than cower in the corner & wait to be slaughtered!

They should be taught to MOVE....MOVE....MOVE....MOVE....

A MOVING TARGET IS HARDER TO HIT & DISTANCE IS THEIR FRIEND
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Fighting back is the best option most of the time. Sometimes the best option is to wait and watch for a better opportunity to fight back. Of course this depends greatly on the situation.
    Hard stuff even for teenagers to learn if they've been brought up in the "give in so you don't get hurt" mentality.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

being that I just left high school a couple years ago, I was in school during columbine and some other school shootings, I aways wondered what the teachers and admin were smoking when we had to run these drills. They taught us to pull the blinds, shut and lock the door, and then everyone get into one side of the room.

I always had a problem with that. one, ok if the BG comes in we are all standing hundled into one area, very easy to take everyone down at once. Stupid.

Another problem I see is, they taught us to never to leave because there could be bad guys outside, again, stupid, id rather be outside then in a confined space, Unless I saw a guy with the gun right out the window. I know if it was truly happening I would throw a chair through the screen/glass and get out.

If I couldn't get out, I know I would fight if he came into the room, I would be standing behind the door or whatever and try to get his gun away from him from behind and then do whatever needed to be done at that point. And who knows what layout or whats happening, but I wouldn't be one to stand in a corner, even if the rest of the class was. I have seen to many of these shootings, and they arn't taking hostages.

I have no idea if any other kids thought about this, maybe I was the only one.

It's about time.

Maybe somebody is figuring out that raising a bunch of pacifist isn't the way to go. That's what France did before WWII and look where it got them.

I seem to remember one school shooting in the 90s that was stopped when a couple of boys attacked the perp. They said they knew about guns because their dad took them shooitng, so they waited until he was reloading and bumrushed him. I can't remember which school it was in though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I remember that, too, SgtD. One guy was a wrestler and manager to knock the guy out and literally sat on him until the police responded. I think that was Kentucky??? When I heard that on the news, I physically cheered.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I remember that, too, SgtD. One guy was a wrestler and manager to knock the guy out and literally sat on him until the police responded. I think that was Kentucky??? When I heard that on the news, I physically cheered.
    That would be the Springfield, Oregon shooting from 1998.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Thank God....

Its about time we stopped training our children to be frightened pacifist sheep waiting for slaughter.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    being that I just left high school a couple years ago, I was in school during columbine and some other school shootings, I aways wondered what the teachers and admin were smoking when we had to run these drills. They taught us to pull the blinds, shut and lock the door, and then everyone get into one side of the room.

I always had a problem with that. one, ok if the BG comes in we are all standing hundled into one area, very easy to take everyone down at once. Stupid.
    I agree with you, pappy. Unfortunately, this is still the default mode in schools (at least here in Tennessee). I personally think that administrators are still concerned with control. Most cannot really conceive of having to deal with one of these awful situations, so they are still more concerned about a child lost in a neighborhood somewhere (since they can "visualize" that) than they are with a number of children shot because they were cornered (that they cannot even begin to comprehend). BTW, many classroom teachers saw the fallacy of "cowering in the corner" immediately, but the administrators listen to the mayor and the chief of police, not their teachers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links