Have you lost guns in a boating accident?

This is a discussion on Have you lost guns in a boating accident? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I see many people say they lost all their guns in a tragic boating accident. That's such a shame. I really wonder why people would ...

View Poll Results: Have you lost guns in a boating accident?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my whole collection went under

27 56.25%
  • No, never happened to me

11 22.92%
  • I'm afraid of the water, so no guns ever got close

1 2.08%
  • I want to know where this lake is!

9 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Have you lost guns in a boating accident?

Have you lost guns in a boating accident?

I see many people say they lost all their guns in a tragic boating accident. That's such a shame. I really wonder why people would take their gun collections out on the water in the first place.

Perhaps we need a new law banning guns on lakes. This may be the only way to prevent these terrible tragedies in the future.

To that end, we need to get an idea of how many people have experienced this tragedy. After all, it's for the guns!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

2. Remove Ads

How else are you supposed to hunt fish?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    No but I had one stolen from out of my house.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Three times it's happened to me!
    aus71383, JoJoGunn and oneshot like this.

It's a tragic thing when it happens - usually people don't want to get into the details. Picture putting all of your guns and ammunition, magazines, etc.. - on a boat. Because you need to get from point A to point B, and at the time - using a boat makes the most sense.

Now jump ahead to the end of the sad saga - you have nothing left except your pocket knife (if you're lucky).

I'm getting a little teary eyed just thinking about it.

Austin
    atctimmy and Jeanlouise like this.

Yes I have, and it was one of the saddest days of my life.
    A custom-built .500 Nitro express double-barreled rifle.
    I had just picked it up in Freeport, when the boat I was ferrying back for the Bahamas
    cracked a sea strainer, the boat sank in less than a minute along with $10,000 worth of custom rifle.
    When the Coast Guard picked me up, they thought I had lost a person as depressed as I was.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Mine all went under on an ocean trip. Nah, they're all rusted up, ruined and in the middle of murky shark-infested waters anyway. You wouldn't want to try and find them. Horrible day indeed. But the fishing was good though.
    Pistology likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    No, but I've been thinking of taking a little trip.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Maybe we need to charter a forum fishing excursion for the day of the financial cliff.
    Pistology and atctimmy like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I take my weapons out on the lake to clean them......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    You should add an option. I lost "most" of my guns in a boating accident. Here are my highpoint and single shot .22 rifle that you can take to make you feel better.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member
    BigStick is right. Funny and sad at the same time. Only gun salvaged high and dry was the collectible WWII P38 and holster and mags that my dad got off of a dead German officer. And maybe my Savage single-shot O&U (.22LR on top 20ga on bottom).
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    You should add an option. I lost "most" of my guns in a boating accident. Here are my highpoint and single shot .22 rifle that you can take to make you feel better.
    That's good that you didn't lose them all. Mine are all safe and sound, locked away in Davy Jones Locker. You're welcome to all in my sig line though. Well, all but the dogs and the flag.
    68blackbird likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

It seems every time I buy a gun I end up losing it in the water. I guess I'm just clumsy. I wish I could remember exactly where each one of them went into the water so that I could find them but unfortunately I can't. Actually, I guess I'm clumsy and forgetful. I hope no one every comes looking for my guns because they will just end up wasting a whole bunch of time looking in all those lakes and swamps. All those places start to kind of look the same after a while. They are welcome to look all they want but it might be very dangerous for them with all those gators around.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Damn that's a sore point. LOL I lost a .45 that I'd had built in the Wolf River, in southern Mississippi, while on a canoe trip many, many years ago. I had a buddy of mine that was Marine Gunnery Sgt build this beauty, with a Essex frame and a Colt slide, and she was a shooter. Ironically called it my "River .45". Hahah. Went canoeing with my brothers, father and friends, and flipped the canoe in some ugly rapids, and the pistol, cocked and locked and secured in a military shoulder rig went to the bottom of the river. Don't need to tell you how bad this ruined this otherwise great trip. We returned to scene of the stupidity the following weekend with a huge magnet and rope, and we lost the magnet in the rapids. Opted not to advance to scuba gear at that point. Made me sick then, and still does talking about it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links