funny but true. - Page 3

funny but true.

This is a discussion on funny but true. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My oldest daughter was a toddler terror. She had some awesome tantrums. I would walk out of the room, tell her to have fun and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: funny but true.

VIP Member
    My oldest daughter was a toddler terror. She had some awesome tantrums. I would walk out of the room, tell her to have fun and come out when it was over. Most of the time she would fall asleep on the floor. She grew out of them eventually.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The stories I could tell you about my kids and their terrible two's... short version quite a number of years back I had a confrontation with a person that did not like my discipling my kids, when I brought up their own kids and found out they were jail birds I slammed dunked them so badly they left near in tears...

BTY my kid I was spanking in public... Eagle scout and graduates as a mechanical engineer on the 15th, pro gun, never had a run in with the law...
    Jeanlouise, atctimmy and JoJoGunn like this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The thing is, you want your kids to do the right thing because it's THE RIGHT THING, not just because they'll get spanked if they don't. If you aren' t around to spank them, would they do it then? You aren't always going to be there.

I've seen some incredible brats in my life but they were always the product of permissive parenting where the kid was allowed to "express" themselves and not made to behave. That's horrible parenting IMO.
    I would say that I have to agree and this is definitely noteworthy. I very rarely have had to resort to spanking but recently had to. To me it's just pretty much a last resort when all other warnings and restrictions have failed and yet serious enough to warrant such action. I believe that spanking for every little thing can do as much harm, if not more than doing nothing. Kind of like how I see some parents yelling at their kids the whole time they're in a store and it's brushed off because it happens so often. It becomes normal to them that their whole day is played out like an episode of Jerry Springer. Not good.

So to add to what is in bold, this is why the last time I had to spank my youngest recently, (almost 11) there was a lot of equating to reality even if I wasn't around as I explained what was going on, to what happens when he grows up or what would happen to me if I behaved like he did at school. I made him forfeit all of his airsoft guns and other things that would require a level of responsibility only the people who do the right thing are allowed to do. I told him, "That's what they would do to me, they'd take them away." He also has been told that the next time he behaves like that at school, they will be smashed. (Ask my brother about Dad smashing his BB gun when we were kids from him doing something stupid with it.) So, my view of spanking isn't to cause tremendous pain. It's an attention-getter when all else has failed. I also see where IMO, some people take it too far. But when kids' behavior can be taken as criminal or unjust, it's a parents responsibility not to pass up an opportunity to show them that you care.

Now I'd like to leave you all with a song that I heard a while back. Daddy's Hands - Holly Dunn - YouTube
    Jeanlouise and atctimmy like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I spanked my two children combined. It isn't the amount of times that counts. It is how well you have made your point when you did it. Standing in a corner works and soap in the mouth for smart talk is a time honored tradition. My main form of punishment was washing walls. Being grounded was no fun at my house. There was no tv or radio. There were no games nor company. A 5 year old can hold a rag and wash a wall as well as a 25 year old lol. I had the cleanest wainscoting in town and still do.

I thought sometimes my children were devil seeds. They fought with each other. They could only talk at the top of their voices in the house. They could get into mischief while you blinked. That was all the longer your eyes had to be closed. I never had a problem with them in school or church. To my surprise everyone thought I had the nicest and most polite children they had ever seen.

We teach our children not only by what we say but by what we do. The morals of this county have slipped into the pit more and more each year. People have no respect for them self's anymore. Sleeping around is a way of life. Being selfish and not interested in anyone else's needs nor pain is a day to day walk for most. If you want your child to be a loving and kind person you have to teach them to be this way by how you treat others.

My son has gotten rid of the snow in three old woman's drives for years. I one time asked him how much they paid him, I think he was about 13 at this time. He was offended, MOTHER they are old people and they have no money. This year I said you gonna do my drive without me begging. He laughed and said Mother you are not old yet lol. HEAVY SIGH The begging will start soon lol.
    Jeanlouise and mprp like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Research indicates that hitting children isn't the most effective way of doing things.
    It got my attention - quick. Not to pick on your terminology, but I see a big difference between spanking and hitting.

Of course, all kids are different. I have two sons -- one I could have beat with a 2x4 and it wouldn't phase him. Telling him I was disappointed worked wonders. The other responded to a spanking.

Fortunately I never had to resort to spanking my son, he was just the type who did not test the old man or his mom (my ex). He was rasied correctly.

My ex's half brother (who stayed with us much of the time because of the situtation with Mom in Law) got to the point at near 8 years old, he was NOT taking a bath, he was NOT living with the rules of the house and WE were NOT his parents.

One day he spouted off at the mouth to my ex when she ordered him to go upstairs and really take a bath, not just run water in the tub and swish it around in a make believe one. He said "I'm not taking a bath you are not my mom".....and then my ex FLEW across the room to the stairs and ***SMACK*** right across his face with an open hand slap. Scared the daylights out of me it was so sudden.

I had never witnessed that before. Kind of felt sorry for the kid but his words and attitude just "went through" my ex and she put it to rest once and for all. After that episode, his level of respect went to the top and he never gave us any more grief.

I don't recommend any punishment like that, but there comes a time when administering a good whack is what the doctor ordered. He just pushed the wrong button and suffered the consequences.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    timmy, this was a great thread! I like hearing other people's opinions about things like this. I don't think there's a "right" and "wrong", just different ways of bringing up kids.

ps...I think your comic is funny. Look at those 3 Liberals.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Also, I can assure you that I have a few tricks up my sleeve that will be WAAAAAYYYY worse than a spanking if it gets to that point. I have outlasted several kids with ODD, and actually "broke" a group of 10 teenage boys in 48 hours with nary a physical incident. That was a weekend to remember. The only problem with raising my kids right is I don't get to use as many of these great ideas.

As much as I agree that spanking needs to stay an option, I will also say the more you work at parenting the less you should need it. You learn to pick up on the cues and cut the behavior off before it escalates to spanking. As an example, when I started working with kids I would have 2-4 physical restraints per week. Mainly because of lack of experience on MY part. The last 18 months I worked there I had 2 restraints total. One to break up a fight and one to keep a kid off of a cop and out of much bigger trouble. I basically learned how to see it coming, catch it, and diffuse the situation with lesser consequences. The same applies to parenting. And setting the standard that you will do it if necessary likely plays in the kids mind as well.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Works for me,

or should I say........

Worked for me.

Tim
    JoJoGunn likes this.

There are millions of kids in these united states and millions of ways to raise kids. Most ways are good, a few ways are bad. What works with one kid will not necessarily work with another one. I do believe too much permissiveness is not good for most kids, but there again nothing works accross the board for everyone. Two of my great grandchildren have very permissive parents and I worry about them. Keep your mouth John, they will turn out ok.

Parenting involves a lot of tools, spanking is only one of them. The biggest thing is to spend time with your children and SET THE EXAMPLE of what it is to be honorable, loving, kind and when to stand up for yourself.

I believe a lot of the problems we see today are because the parents did not set the right example, did not spend time with their children and did not allow them to experience reality. They were 'parented' by television, video games and peers.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links