funny but true.

This is a discussion on funny but true. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Truth!!!! 155928_315190288596816_1196005203_n.jpg...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: funny but true.

VIP Member

funny but true.

Eagleks, niks, wmhawth and 9 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Perhaps but regardless of parenting, kids grow to have their own thoughts, beliefs, and feelings and can turn into anybody.
    Jeanlouise and bigmacque like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Perhaps but regardless of parenting, kids grow to have their own thoughts, beliefs, and feelings and can turn into anybody.
    True. But when you don't spare the rod you have fewer deviants.
    atctimmy, DMan, Mattmann and 1 others like this.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    +1 .
    Ksgunner likes this.

Re: funny but true.

Spare the rod spoil the child? I believe there is an old book that speaks on this a tad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    atctimmy, mprp and minimalbrat like this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Got the switch once. Decided I didn't like it. Behaved myself pretty well since.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Well, if you don't spare the rod you sure do have less spoiled children. They say do not hit your children. This will squash their personality. Let me tell you, my mother squashed my personality all over the house and I turned out just fine.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Research indicates that hitting children isn't the most effective way of doing things.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Dr Spock didn't know Squat !!
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Research indicates that hitting children isn't the most effective way of doing things.
    Sure, if it's the only thing you do. But if it's just one of many options there is really nothing wrong with it. I don't anticipate spanking my girls any more. Mainly because I have in the past. Funny that I get lots of compliments on how well behaved, kind, and well mannered they are. Unlike some other kids. I'll assure you that spanking played a part. And equating hitting with spanking is loading the statement with negative meaning that is not there if it's used for discipline. Generally, my kids were warned where things were headed if they did not straighten up. And they chose the path they took, so they chose the consequences that were laid before them as well. Going straight to spanking was only for things I considered quite serious, and was rare.

I'll tell you what's hateful. Raising bratty, selfish little brutes that have never heard the word "no". Setting your kids up to fail in real life because they were raised in a fantasy world. Picking self esteem over self respect or self discipline. That's hating your kids via bad parenting.

Spanking can't be the only option. But it needs to be an option.

I worked in the field with at risk teenage boys. I was trained in physical restraint and therapeutic crisis intervention when it still used one and two person restraints. I can assure you that those physical restraints (which were very near brawls at times), were key to teaching those boys that there were serious consequences for behavior that was way over the line. They key to it was using the physical aspect to end the behavior immediately and following that up with debriefing and counseling when it was over. Without the physical intervention of the restraint they generally felt free to do whatever they pleased even if it was potentially harmful to themselves or others. That's pretty much the method I have carried over to parenting. Any spanking is followed up by explaining to them why I did it, what got them there, and what they needed to do next time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Lead Moderator
    More like "sad but true".
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

What Tim says has a lot of truth to it but it's a multitide of things that contribute to the problem.

We live in a permissive society that glorifies behaviour that is not moral. Regardless of what people think, the Liberalism that is taking over a little at a time is the major factor. Liberal/Progressive thinking for the most part helps to create the problem. The intention is to better society; to "protect" children from abuse, to appease them and that is supposed to make them grow into responsible adults. Sounds like a wonderful idea, doesn't it?

Schools can no longer teach morality, it basically does not exist inside, that responsibility is left to parents, who may not be able or even want to instruct their children in right & wrong. Plus, when the State is allowed to tell parents how they can teach and raise their kids, it is easy for bad behaviour to have an express way to them. Heaven help us if we dare to insist that any Christian or other "moral religious" teachings are allowed in our tax dollar funded schools.

Liberalism fosters the belief that you are "victims" of those who have more than you do and sow the seeds of entitlement for people who believe it. No personal responsibility on your part is allowed, it's always someone else's fault that you don't have everything you want.

That kind of behaviour is glorified by the Media. We hear it in song, we see it in movies and just about everywhere. Say anything against it, and there will be an attack by those who like bad behaviour.

Lastly, believe it or not, we are immersed in evil. I feel it everyday and it is growing worse as time progresses. We have stopped resisting it, we have let those who like evil over good to tell us we are no longer relevant and in many cases, are not allowed to speak out against it.
    wmhawth, RAL, atctimmy and 2 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Worked pretty well where I grew up!!
    minimalbrat likes this.

Distinguished Member
    It's a whole combination of things, personality types, parenting styles etc. I never got spanked when I was a child and I'm pretty normal (discussion later...stay on topic ). I didn't spank my kids and all three are nice, decent, productive members of society. But, we never allowed them to be rude or selfish from day one. That's not to say we never had issues with them, we just did't hit them for punishment.
    I'm not necessairly against spanking, but you don't have to, there are other ways.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; December 11th, 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo
    bigmacque likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Ever grateful to my parents for whipping my but when I deserved it. Hand, leather belt, wood shingle, switch, flyswatter, etc. It worked, I grew to fear the consequences for messing up and learned to do what I was told to do. I didn't fear my parents but I feared getting in trouble.
    atctimmy and mprp like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links