And they say MJ is harmless . . . - Page 3

And they say MJ is harmless . . .

This is a discussion on And they say MJ is harmless . . . within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise Marijuana is a lot stronger than it was in the 60's when Alice was baking them up in her restaurant. The ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: And they say MJ is harmless . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Marijuana is a lot stronger than it was in the 60's when Alice was baking them up in her restaurant. The problem here is that the people didn't know they were getting high. If I suddenly became dizzy and started passing out I might think I was having a stroke or who knows what. I would be very scared. I completely understand them going to the ER.

I think legalizing MJ use is big mistake. The law of unintended consequences is going to come into play.Obviously many people disagree and will defend drug use... so be it.
    It should be treated like alcohol, which has already led to many,many more unintended consequences than marijuana ever has. Plus alcohol has already taught us what prohibition of any kind does to crime. It's the same as prohibiting guns

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    It should be treated like alcohol, which has already led to many,many more unintended consequences than marijuana ever has. Plus alcohol has already taught us what prohibition of any kind does to crime. It's the same as prohibiting guns
    Then why not allow all drugs? Why just Marijuana?

With alcohol you know what you're getting. With Marijuana you don't, it can be much stronger than you expect or laced with other drugs or substances. Alcohol can be cleared from your system in a matter of hours, MJ can show up in your blood a week later; this is going to be a problem when writing the new laws in states that are legalizing it.

As you rightly pointed out, alcohol use can cause a lot of problems, so why do we now want to add another drug to the problems we already have?

Personally I like to be in control of my brain and actions so I don't really "get" those who don't.
    BurgerBoy and RAL like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

With alcohol you know what you're getting. With Marijuana you don't, it can be much stronger than you expect or laced with other drugs or substances. Alcohol can be cleared from your system in a matter of hours, MJ can show up in your blood a week later; this is going to be a problem when writing the new laws in states that are legalizing it.

As you rightly pointed out, alcohol use can cause a lot of problems, so why do we now want to add another drug to the problems we already have?

Personally I like to be in control of my brain and actions so I don't really "get" those who don't.
    Marijuana doesnt even belong in the same class as alcohol. In my opinion alcohol is much worse. The reason, although pretty rare that its laced with anything, that you dont know what you're getting is that you have to buy it illegally.
    All the "problems" associated with marijuana are due to the fact that its illegal. Where all the problems with alcohol are due to the fact that it IS legal.
    Also, I dont smoke anymore, but I've smoked a lot in my life. And the point is you dont lose those functions, certainly not like you would if you were drunk.

Prohibition is always someones version of a nanny state, and it ALWAYS gives income and power to criminals. Cant complain about cartels at the border, when it's our drug policies that are funding them
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member

Slow and Spurious

article-2245573-1672D075000005DC-71_306x423.jpgPictured is brownie suspect, Thomas Ricardo Cunningham, with Obama.
    This is the Administration's attempt to undermine and torpedo CO's Amendment 64.
    Seriously, pot affects function and is an intoxicant. That's why people consume it.
    If pot were all bad, it wouldn't have to be illegal.
    It's also right that lacing and surreptitious dosing is a felony. However, there are more and worse unintended consequences from prohibition than from repeal and less government involvement. Mere consumption by consenting adults is not worth pursuing by government resources and is not something that the founders would authorize government to pursue.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member

I like to be in control, too, so I have been drug-and-alcohol-free since 1994. I arrived at this conclusion based on my own experiences, not on legislation or public approval. Yours are a few of the same arguments I heard in 1969 health class, and they have become no more believable to me (and millions of others) now than they were when I was thirten. People are going to do what they do for recreation whether they have popular approval or not. These guys Don't Step On The Grass Sam - YouTube were about nine years old when the original Steppenwolf: Don't Step On The Grass Sam HQ (Lyrics) - YouTube came out, and Nixon's drug war was still several years out. The words and sentiments still ring true. Millions of convictions and nearly a trillion dollars later, the drugs, unlike the rationale for their demonization, just keep getting more and more potent.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

To be analogous, weed is like a bb gun. Desomorphine, which is a popular opioid used in Russia and called krokodil on the street, is much more dangerous and powerful than heroin. That would be your belt feed machine gun or rocket launcher in the classic argument of "where does your 'right to bear arms' end?"
    Last edited by Cold Shot; December 11th, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
    BigJon10125 and msgt/ret like this.

Some of you guys must be high on Fox News...
    suntzu and Darrow75 like this.

And they say MJ is harmless . . .

On the other side of the coin it could read:
    "And they say guns are harmless.....

Many things are harmless in life until misused/abused by someone......
    suntzu likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Marijuana is a lot stronger than it was in the 60's when Alice was baking them up in her restaurant
    Not quite. Studies now, compared to the original studies done on Marijuana and LSD in the '50s/'60s, show THC levels being the same as they ever were. Different strains are stronger/weaker and a well/poorly tended garden have an effect on potency. But folks have been mixing strains (on all farmable plants, not just pot) since the agricultural revolution, thousands of years ago.

This is the uneducated trying to lead the educated, just like the gun war.
    Cold Shot and suntzu like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    Same reefer madness scare tactic.
    steffen likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Not quite. Studies now, compared to the original studies done on Marijuana and LSD in the '50s/'60s, show THC levels being the same as they ever were. Different strains are stronger/weaker and a well/poorly tended garden have an effect on potency. But folks have been mixing strains (on all farmable plants, not just pot) since the agricultural revolution, thousands of years ago.

This is the uneducated trying to lead the educated, just like the gun war.
    Can you provide proof of this? I agree that SOME people may have had knowledge of mixing strains to improve pot, but common sense tells us that technology in horticulture has improved drastically over the last 100 years. Are you denying that the access to information on the internet has not increased the knowledge of those who would not have access to technology, techniques, or other experienced people?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    Marijuana doesnt even belong in the same class as alcohol. In my opinion alcohol is much worse. The reason, although pretty rare that its laced with anything, that you dont know what you're getting is that you have to buy it illegally.
    All the "problems" associated with marijuana are due to the fact that its illegal. Where all the problems with alcohol are due to the fact that it IS legal.
    I don't agree with this entirely. With Beer, Wine, Liquors, you have the option to know what percentage of the beverage is alcohol. It's hard for me to imagine that even legal "pot" growers will be able to accurately publish the amount of THC in every joint, bowl, blunt, brownie, whatever. That's one contribution to not knowing what you are getting.

Regarding the original post. Prank or not, the people who chose to make and distribute the weed to unknowing people are fools that need a serious life lesson from this. Body chemistry is the domain of the individual and their doctor, not an area to joke or "infringe" upon.

I am well aware of the effects of pot. However harmless one tries to make it, it does effect people differently....hence why some like it, some don't, and for some it may be a huge health risk. If a person has never been high or cannot identify why their body is acting weird, than of course going to the doctor is understandable.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

All things in moderation, sometimes even, uh...moderation. No, it was not wise, moral or legal to sneak ganja brownies in on your classmates. But (IMHO) this is such a tempest in a teacup. With all the current world events over which we might wring our hands, THIS ISN'T IT! It was pot folks. No addiction, no Hep C, no internal organ damage, no one was date-raped, no one was subsequently sold into slavery. C'mon friends, the worst possible side effects are eating an entire bag of Oreos in one sitting & thinking Pee Wee Herman is funny. An overdose results in an extended nap. I'm not saying the act was funny or appropriate, but I'm surely not mandating shock therapy & a class action lawsuit against the perpetrators.

I need a drink.
    steffen likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    All things in moderation, sometimes even, uh...moderation. No, it was not wise, moral or legal to sneak ganja brownies in on your classmates. But (IMHO) this is such a tempest in a teacup.
    Like most blather that's sensationalized in the media, these days. Same ol', same ol'.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Like most blather that's sensationalized in the media, these days. Same ol', same ol'.
    Yep, I think I enjoyed life more fully BEFORE the idea that we all needed a 24 hour news-cycle.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links