A Word To The Wise!!

This is a discussion on A Word To The Wise!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As this Holiday Season approaches, I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving. As you well know, some of us ...

Like Tree31Likes
  • 21 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By Mn01r6
  • 5 Post By Glhadiator
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By IronMike
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: A Word To The Wise!!

VIP Member

Exclamation A Word To The Wise!!

As this Holiday Season approaches, I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the various social sessions over the years.

A couple of days ago, after golf, I stayed for a few drinks with my friends and had a few too many margaritas and then topped it off with a shot. Not a good Idea. Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block, but because it was a taxi, they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident........which was a real surprise.
    I have never driven a taxi before and am not sure where I got it.

Be safe, Be smart always....
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

GunnyBunny, you are my CHH (Complete Holiday Hero). I LIKE golf, and tequila, and to drink adult beverages with my friends, and not, I repeat - NOT, going to jail! Well Done! Merry Christmas!
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I like it, but sobriety checkpoints should be unconstitutional. They don't get to pat everyone down walking into the mall for guns, and they shouldn't be allowed to detain people when driving when there is no individualized suspicion of wrongdoing.

ETA: Thank God I live in a state that found our (exactly worded) 4th amendment of the state constitution to offer greater protection than the Supreme Court found in the federal 4a.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post

If I was in your shoes I would try and return that taxi before someone notices its missing,

and a taxi is just a yellow car, nothing different than driving your car

It's better than taking a patrol car home!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    It's better than taking a patrol car home!
    Those Patrol Cars haven't taken me home since my college days. Now, they seem to all head toward...JAIL! Any more, I like catching a ride home with the County Judge after Poker Night. He seems to have an aversion to Road Blocks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn01r6 View Post
    I like it, but sobriety checkpoints should be unconstitutional. They don't get to pat everyone down walking into the mall for guns, and they shouldn't be allowed to detain people when driving when there is no individualized suspicion of wrongdoing.

ETA: Thank God I live in a state that found our (exactly worded) 4th amendment of the state constitution to offer greater protection than the Supreme Court found in the federal 4a.
    Around here we refer to them as “revenue enhancement stops” and they are usually profitable.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You Sir are ... Da Man!!! ..... I hope more will follow your example. Thank you.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mn01r6 View Post

It is not unconstitutional since driving a motor vehicle that is not guaranteed via the constitution. A drivers license is granted to the citizens of each state via laws. Obviously these laws vary from state to state and rightfully so.

To my knowledge these checkpoints do not consist of searching the vehicle unless at some point it time there would be probable cause for the search. (someone correct me if this is wrong)
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Gunny Bunny! Thanks for the great JOKE!
    I truly love a great joke, but it's so sad when people with no sense of humor, turn it into a constitutional discussion.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member
    Funny, but this same joke was just posted a couple of weeks ago.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

My two primary drinks are Sweet tea and when I want something stronger I go for the A&W root beer.... So did you tip yourself after the ride home ;-)
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    As this Holiday Season approaches, I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the various social sessions over the years.

A couple of days ago, after golf, I stayed for a few drinks with my friends and had a few too many margaritas and then topped it off with a shot. Not a good Idea. Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block, but because it was a taxi, they waved it past.

If you return my taxi within the next 12 hours, no scratches or damage to it and the tank full of gas, I won't press charges!
    mprp likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    It is not unconstitutional since driving a motor vehicle that is not guaranteed via the constitution. A drivers license is granted to the citizens of each state via laws. Obviously these laws vary from state to state and rightfully so.

To my knowledge these checkpoints do not consist of searching the vehicle unless at some point it time there would be probable cause for the search. (someone correct me if this is wrong)
    Whenever a police officer accosts an individual and restrains his freedom to walk [drive] away, he has "seized" that person within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. This isn't about searching a vehicle. This is about "seizing" someone without any particularized suspicion about them.

Links