F250

This is a discussion on F250 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy, do I hate to "bite this bullet" but I need a new truck. My current F250 is 17 years old with mechanical issues, plus ...

Thread: F250

VIP Member

F250

Boy, do I hate to "bite this bullet" but I need a new truck. My current F250 is 17 years old with mechanical issues, plus this would be a good tax year for me to begin depreciating a new farm expense.

Long story short, I am looking at buying at new 2012 or 2013 F250 4X4 diesel. Right now both year models are available. My big question is there any appreciable changes from 2012 to 2013? I know that 2013 brings on the Platinum series, which I'm not interested in, and there may be some color changes or slight cosmetic differences. I understand that the powertrain is no different from 2012 to 2013.

Is there any other differences that I need to know about. If not, I'd be happy with a 2012.

Do ya'll realize how many guns I could buy vs buying one truck? However I can't pull a load of cows with a gun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

The 2012 has the new Ford designed diesel. I would get the 2013 so you don't get the first model year of the new design. Hopefully they have addressed any issues. Also, having owned a 2001 F-250 and moved to a 2008 350, I would strongly consider the upgrade in size. As of note, the 350 series has larger brakes. Probably a non-issued to a flatlander but it is something I would consider since you pull cows.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    The 2012 has the new Ford designed diesel. I would get the 2013 so you don't get the first model year of the new design. Hopefully they have addressed any issues. Also, having owned a 2001 F-250 and moved to a 2008 350, I would strongly consider the upgrade in size. As of note, the 350 series has larger brakes. Probably a non-issued to a flatlander but it is something I would consider since you pull cows.
    F350 also has a lot more... truck... to stop. Average capacity on an F250 (diesel) is roughly 9-12,000lbs. F350 tends to be 10-13,000lbs. Or, go all out and get an F450 wich is 14,500+.

But, remember, the bigger the truck, the more is costs to repair when it breaks. If an older F250 works for you, a new one would would probably make all he difference in the world to you. -Just make sure you get the diesel (awesome oil drain plug on those; have the oil out of it in about 1 minute). That's the only one worth having.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

From what I understand, the 2013 F250 just adds the Platinum line and some additional stuff on the lower trim levels like power doodads and SYNC.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The 2012 year model had the exhaust scrubber [ catalyst] on diesels here in CA. These have been troublesome. I'm not sure if it has been sorted out or even if its just a CA thing But its something Id definitely check out first! The exhaust scrubber required a urea tank to clean the catalyst and was prone to plugging up while pulling a load. A plugged exhaust is just like an exhaust brake. The only diesel model I can get without the catalyst are the Dodge Trucks. Good luck DR

VIP Member
    I just bought me a sweet 2013 F150 FX4 and I love it. The ecoboost engine is great!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links