F250

F250

This is a discussion on F250 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy, do I hate to "bite this bullet" but I need a new truck. My current F250 is 17 years old with mechanical issues, plus ...

Thread: F250

VIP Member

F250

Boy, do I hate to "bite this bullet" but I need a new truck. My current F250 is 17 years old with mechanical issues, plus this would be a good tax year for me to begin depreciating a new farm expense.

Long story short, I am looking at buying at new 2012 or 2013 F250 4X4 diesel. Right now both year models are available. My big question is there any appreciable changes from 2012 to 2013? I know that 2013 brings on the Platinum series, which I'm not interested in, and there may be some color changes or slight cosmetic differences. I understand that the powertrain is no different from 2012 to 2013.

Is there any other differences that I need to know about. If not, I'd be happy with a 2012.

Do ya'll realize how many guns I could buy vs buying one truck? However I can't pull a load of cows with a gun.
    Gain a 2A vote, take a fence-sitter shooting.

The 2012 has the new Ford designed diesel. I would get the 2013 so you don't get the first model year of the new design. Hopefully they have addressed any issues. Also, having owned a 2001 F-250 and moved to a 2008 350, I would strongly consider the upgrade in size. As of note, the 350 series has larger brakes. Probably a non-issued to a flatlander but it is something I would consider since you pull cows.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    The 2012 has the new Ford designed diesel. I would get the 2013 so you don't get the first model year of the new design. Hopefully they have addressed any issues. Also, having owned a 2001 F-250 and moved to a 2008 350, I would strongly consider the upgrade in size. As of note, the 350 series has larger brakes. Probably a non-issued to a flatlander but it is something I would consider since you pull cows.
    F350 also has a lot more... truck... to stop. Average capacity on an F250 (diesel) is roughly 9-12,000lbs. F350 tends to be 10-13,000lbs. Or, go all out and get an F450 wich is 14,500+.

But, remember, the bigger the truck, the more is costs to repair when it breaks. If an older F250 works for you, a new one would would probably make all he difference in the world to you. -Just make sure you get the diesel (awesome oil drain plug on those; have the oil out of it in about 1 minute). That's the only one worth having.
    "Gun control should mean hitting your target every time."

Please try to remember- I have a very dry sense of humor. It usually sounds mean, but isn't meant to be.

From what I understand, the 2013 F250 just adds the Platinum line and some additional stuff on the lower trim levels like power doodads and SYNC.

The 2012 year model had the exhaust scrubber [ catalyst] on diesels here in CA. These have been troublesome. I'm not sure if it has been sorted out or even if its just a CA thing But its something Id definitely check out first! The exhaust scrubber required a urea tank to clean the catalyst and was prone to plugging up while pulling a load. A plugged exhaust is just like an exhaust brake. The only diesel model I can get without the catalyst are the Dodge Trucks. Good luck DR

VIP Member
    I just bought me a sweet 2013 F150 FX4 and I love it. The ecoboost engine is great!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links