Why do we accept the premise that we need a reason to carry/own/etc.?

This is a discussion on Why do we accept the premise that we need a reason to carry/own/etc.? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Often I read threads in which the OP asks for reasons to defend his or her decision to carry/own a gun/own more than one gun/etc. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By mprp

Thread: Why do we accept the premise that we need a reason to carry/own/etc.?

VIP Member

Often I read threads in which the OP asks for reasons to defend his or her decision to carry/own a gun/own more than one gun/etc.

Why do the OP's feel they need to respond to such questions? To do so is to accept the premise that we need to justify our decision.

I think such questions do not merit a response.

Would you respond to the following questions with a "reason" for your decision?

Give me a reason why we should be allowed to criticize the President.
    Give me a reason why you should be allowed to raise your child without a background check to determine if you are a fit parent.
    Give me a reason why you should be allowed to defend yourself against violence.
    Give me a reason why I cannot have relations with your spouse.
    etc.

Of course you would not respond.

I simply respond, if at all, with "Because it is my choice to do so."

If the questioner (in the real world) really wants to learn about the benefits of carrying, then fine, go ahead. But if the questioner is arguing against a position, then I see no reason to engage (I don't bother arguing with anti's, as they won't change my mind and I won't change theirs).

Thoughts?
    blanco64 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Most people have been brainwashed into letting someone else think for them and they haven't exercised their brain enough to be able to pour piss out of a boot without spilling on them.

I simply respond, if at all, with "Because it is my choice to do so."
    That works for me!
    Paco, PEF and msgt/ret like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Maybe not all of us do. If I really need to find a reason, then I wouldn't know where to look.

I absolutely agree. There should be no need to justify exercising unalienable rights, ones that our founding fathers felt were important enough to enumerate in the document that is the foundation for how our country is supposed to operate.

I don't think the "because I'm right and you're wrong" type attitudes benefit anyone. Our right to bear arms does come with some negative consequences and I think a healthy discussion can educate both sides on the matter. It shouldn't ever be off the table to discuss, regardless if it is currently legal or not.

I don't feel like I need to answer that question PEF. End of discussion!
    KBSR and PEF like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Most people have been brainwashed into letting someone else think for them and they haven't exercised their brain enough to be able to pour piss out of a boot without spilling on them.

That works for me!
    Now that is the common man's poetry! I am adding that to my rotation!

Links