TV commercial that makes me go GRRRRRR!!!

This is a discussion on TV commercial that makes me go GRRRRRR!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, this AM while I'm reading some of the posts here on CC.COM, I have FoxNews on in the background...... Commercial starts with a man, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV commercial that makes me go GRRRRRR!!!

VIP Member

So, this AM while I'm reading some of the posts here on CC.COM, I have FoxNews on in the background......

Commercial starts with a man, obviously out of town, getting a call from his wife that someone burgled their home. (no one home at the time).

He then thinks...'What if BG had still been there when his wife got home?'.....

His answer...........call ADT & get a burglar alarm.

I'm sitting there hollering at the TV.....

teach her how to use & carry a firearm....

While a burglar alarm can help, if someone is intent on getting in & doing harm, ADT isn't enough! I also realize that they are trying to sell a product, but the most effective way of protecting yourself isn't even alluded to.

(end of rant)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

My wife and I laugh at those commercials all the time. We were at a relative's house and the same commercial came on. My wife asked what ADT would do for you NOW. The relatives responded (in liberal Long Island NY mind you) that you just waite for the police. I responded that my wife would use the 12 gauge Remington 870 Shotgun in the bedroom and we also had gotten a big enough dog to put a serious hurting on any intruder (100 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback). Conversation died at that point...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    My wife and I laugh at those commercials all the time. We were at a relative's house and the same commercial came on. My wife asked what ADT would do for you NOW. The relatives responded (in liberal Long Island NY mind you) that you just waite for the police.
    What they forgot to say is that first ADT will call the number you provided them to check and determine that you did not accidental set off the alarm. If you do not answer or if you confirm that it is a real incident they will call the police. So you get an extra layer of bureaucracy with ADT and an additional 5 minutes to wait before the police arrive. If calling 911 and waiting wasn't sufficient for you to be killed having ADT call you and then the police will add enough time to insure your death. Sounds like a plan to me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I like the ADT commercial were the family is home happily going about their business. BG is casing the joint, waiting for Dad to leave. He smashes the door down with a crowbar, looking like he is ready to decapitate the entire family. The ADP alarm sounds off, causing the BAD guy to flee terrified. The panicked family is huddled around talking to the ADT rep, "Thank you ADP, I think we are safe now".....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Lew
    ADT,= Another Dead Tenant
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll bet the sheep lap up that commercial info - ''Oh look honey - we must get that - it's the answer to all our security and safety concerns''

Well sure - if you are out and get burglarized it might help - but as for when folks are at home - well - we all know about the efficacy of response times.

Now - a gun (or two) and ADT might be a useful combo.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I came home early to surprise my mom last Christmas. They changed the alarm codes and didn't tell me because I wasn't supposed to be home for another week. The alarm went ape-$#!^ and I didn't even hear the phone ring. The the house gonged for about 15 minutes before shutting off. The cops show up just shy of 30 minutes after the alarm went.

30 minutes.

A LEO buddy told me that his department gets about 15-20 alarm calls a day per officer. He later told me that in the 15 years he had been doing his job, he had only busted one perp for it, and that was because the guy was drunk/drugged/passed-out (I can't remember what he said). A lady standing nearby who heard our conversation asked him what she should do if the alarms never worked properly. My buddy asks her "You stay at home all day?"
    "No."
    "Get a big dog, love it a lot, and make sure it can get a death grip on something higher than the ankles. Get two dogs if you can."

Yeah, ADT is awesome, isn't it?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Too funny.....

I had the fortunate opportunity to have an "ADP Security Professional" call me several month ago trying to sell me their "ultra elite something or other." After he started his spiel I interrupted and stated that I already own a security system. He politely asked "Which One", I responded, "Rotweiler and Smith and Wesson brand.... He apologized for bothering me....
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I hate those commercials. I always get a kick out of them though, because I sit there and watch that, and think about how stupid and weak it is to rely on someone hundreds of miles away to protect your family.....
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    The alarm went ape-$#!^ and I didn't even hear the phone ring. The the house gonged for about 15 minutes before shutting off. The cops show up just shy of 30 minutes after the alarm went.

30 minutes.
    The best part is that the anti's don't think that the BG's know this

A lot can happen in 30 minutes while you're waiting to be rescued.

Senior Moderator
    Another deception that misleads the SD illiterate American public. In some ways, I think it serves them right.

Delay

Comments about the delay are right. I used to work in a (fire and EMS, not LEO) 911 center. The delays on some fire alarms were sometimes up to 8 or 10 minutes. Not counting the wrong addresses, wrong locations or reported fire alarms that were really burglar or holdup alarms. Wrong jurisdictions were common too. The big companies are only better because they don't charge as much for repeated false alarms as the cities or county does. Want to protect your house while you're away? Get to know your neighbors and look out for each other. I've seen more success from that than with any alarm system. I do however think the "I've fallen and I can't get up" services do work if you have elderly or infirm relatives. That's the only kind of alarm remotely worth anything.

We moved into our new house about a year ago. At our old house we had an alarm because it came with 3 free years of service (which I terminated the day the free service was up). My wife was on the phone with one of her friends and I guess the friend asked if we had an alarm at our new house. My wife told her that we went the other route and have something that is a bit louder and has more of an effect on an intruder.
    Last edited by Todd; October 12th, 2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: I can't speeel

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    My wife told her that we went the other route and have something that is a bit louder and has more of an effect on an intruder.
    I love your wife.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    We have an alarm system of sorts; it is a "German engineered perimeter control and early warning system".

His name is Fritz and he is our 115lb White German Shepard.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links