Parent Run Security Group

This is a discussion on Parent Run Security Group within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Starting next year I will have two young boys in an elementary school. I am tired of worrying about their safety and decided I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Parent Run Security Group

Parent Run Security Group

Starting next year I will have two young boys in an elementary school. I am tired of worrying about their safety and decided I am going to do something about it. The perfect solution would be for the school district to be able to afford to have a full time police officer in every school building. With the tight budgets that most school districts have right now this is not very realistic.

I read an article about a Jewish school that has parents guarding the school. I thought this was a great idea why not harness the one group of people that have a vested interest in keeping the kids at a school safe, the parents. I am thinking about starting a group that I would call a private security group. We would contract with the school district to offer armed in school security at no cost. Also the individual at the school working security for the day could also help out with other volunteer activities. The school is always looking for parents to help out and this would be a guaranteed volunteer every single day of the year. Members would volunteer either a full day every 4-5 weeks or a half day every 2-3 weeks. We could also recruit faculty members to join if the school district would allow it.

To be a member of the security group there would be several requirements.

• background check
    • resident carry permit
    • 4-8 hours of training every 90 days(edited to be more clear)
    • pistol qualification
    • live fire training
    • Retention holster
    • Child or Grandchild in the school district
    • If no children retired LEO or Military
    • Panel review of application
    • $50 a year for dues

Ideas to work out would be if the security person would be wearing a vest or special shirt. Also should firearms be worn in the open or should they be concealed??

The hardest part of the whole plan is going to be finding a school district that will bite and allow the Security Group to offer their services. It is kind of a chicken before the egg problem. It will be hard to recruit members if there is no chance for the district to utilize the security service. The district isn’t going to say yes to something that just started up. It might take a little bit of finesse to get this going.

So I am curious to know if you this is something you would be willing to put your time and energy into??
    Last edited by Sturmruger; December 17th, 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: miss spelling

2. Remove Ads

I generally like the concept, but a few comments:

90 day training requirement????

I would say no to a special shirt and yes to concealed carry only. To me, special cloths and open carry would draw unwanted attention to the security agent. In addition, it would need to be clear that these folks are there NOT to provide the role of traditional event security or LEO. Their sole purpose is to engage an active shooter (or arsonist, etc.), not to enforce cafeteria policy, dealing with an obnoxious 8th grader, or handling the bag of pot found in the boy's locker room.
    darbo, Bark'n and atctimmy like this.

That should have been worded better. What I meant was 4-8 hours of training every 90 days.

Here is a link where one of the bigger LEO websites talks about this type of idea.

To me , it would also be important that they "float" around the school during the day, spending time in the teachers lounge, front office, library, lunchroom, playground, etc. If they ALWAYS sit in the chair by the front door, guess who gets the first bullet?
    darbo, atctimmy and Bark'n like this.

I applaud your forward thinking Sturmruger. Your plan will take some fine tuning, but at least you're getting it out there, and that's a GOOD thing.

As Webleyhunter said, "90 Day Training Requirement????" LOL This may be necessary for a soccer mom/dad with no previous training or experience, but I'd think that the majority of your volunteers will not require this 90 day training.

I'd opt for two person teams versus the single model, just because two guns/heads are better than one, and I don't think there will be any shortage of volunteers. I'd opt for plain clothes, concealed carry, with long guns readily accessible in tamper proof & locked cases at strategic locations. For most schools, we should have multiple long guns (M4 carbines, MP-5 Submachine guns, etc) secured and concealed on the premises, to make ready access to the weapons for the security team, but out of reach for anyone else. Weapon systems, and an active shooter ready bag with spare mags, flash bangs, body armor, first aid/trauma kits located in the vicinity of all of your exits would be handy. I'd spend a great deal of training on trauma medicine as well. Stopping blood flow is critical, and life saving.

Would need to train and liaise with local law enforcement, and perhaps have a secure radio channel dedicated to this effort, so the calvary would know whatto look for when they arrive. I'd also agree that this team shouldn't be caught up in the day to day minutia of the school, but rather laser focused on the physical security of their location.

Once established, the biggest problem you'll experience I think, is complacency. Right now, when the bloodshed is so fresh and new, everybody is amped up. But six months from now, or three years from now, I can see the attention waning, and keeping your team(s) focused will be a challenge.

Again, thanks for a great thread and idea. I think you're on to something, and solutions, versus rhetoric and ill advised gun grabs by politicians, is like a breath of fresh air. Be safe.
    darbo likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Once you put into place a system that is designed specifically for a security of any business, school, movie theater etc. you are now talking about liability and a high dollar insurance nightmare. To me, there is already a system in place to ensure the freedom to choose whether or not someone wants to protect themselves or others. It's called concealed carry. It's not a solution to all but it would almost instantly change the odds of an uninhibited tragedy if gun free zones were no more and staff along with the private citizen were to take it upon themselves to arm themselves. Everything else seems to be a "slippery slope" when discussing possible solutions.

I know there's the whole thing about some people not wanting to help and they would get them and theirs to the nearest exit. I am one of those and choose to carry for a last resort. But having knowledge of this last event, there is no freaking way I'd do that in a school setting. I'm going in to set up as fast as I can.

"Yeah BUT, What if??, and the cops are gonna shoot you blah blah blah" Don't wanna hear it. I've lived long enough and will think of nothing but, "This is why I was put here."
    KBSR likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Myk
    It's a great idea, and if anything was put together or offered in my area, i know plenty of people who would participate.
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Once you put into place a system that is designed specifically for a security of any business, school, movie theater etc. you are now talking about liability and a high dollar insurance nightmare. To me, there is already a system in place to ensure the freedom to choose whether or not someone wants to protect themselves or others. It's called concealed carry. It's not a solution to all but it would almost instantly change the odds of an uninhibited tragedy if gun free zones were no more and staff along with the private citizen were to take it upon themselves to arm themselves. Everything else seems to be a "slippery slope" when discussing possible solutions.

I know there's the whole thing about some people not wanting to help and they would get them and theirs to the nearest exit. I am one of those and choose to carry for a last resort. But having knowledge of this last event, there is no freaking way I'd do that in a school setting. I'm going in to set up as fast as I can.

"Yeah BUT, What if??, and the cops are gonna shoot you blah blah blah" Don't wanna hear it. I've lived long enough and will think of nothing but, "This is why I was put here."
    I like most of what you said Sir, but if you leave it up to chance, the two coaches and the one assistant principal that choose to carry happen to be off the day the wolf decides to attack the flock. With a dedicated team, you'd have constant coverage, at a minimal cost, other than the insurance cost. Seems to me the cost of insurance is cheap, compared to salaries and benefits, and the life of a single precious 6 year olds life. My life experience is law enforcement, and I'm conditioned to run towards the sound of the guns, not away. Like you, I know "This is why I was put here". Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

If the schools go for it and they are well trained then cool. But just before folks start going off the deep end here: The chances of an active shooter in a school like Sandy Hook is EXTREMELY rare. There are over 125 thousand K-12 schools in the US. Sure, there is lots of crime and violence. BUt not the type that this "security force" would handle. As stated they are there for the active shooter scenario which is extremely rare.

If you back and research most shootings are isolated to a single room. By the time anyone would get there the damage is done.

I am not minimizing at all the importance of keeping our kids safe. But the fact is they are in more danger on the school bus.

Good luck though
    satori59 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Administrator
    Your biggest hurdle is liability and insurance. The easiest way to deal with that is get all your people certified as armed security. It'll still cost some money, but not as bad as trying to insure "some
    Dude with a gun" on school property.
    Hopyard and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The idea of a uniform brings Red Lake massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to mind. The security guard was the first targeted. I do like your thoughts. Perhaps some Gun Free zones will be cancelled and you can carry concealed and volunteer at the school. I'd welcome you at mine.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    If the schools go for it and they are well trained then cool. But just before folks start going off the deep end here: The chances of an active shooter in a school like Sandy Hook is EXTREMELY rare. There are over 125 thousand K-12 schools in the US. Sure, there is lots of crime and violence. BUt not the type that this "security force" would handle. As stated they are there for the active shooter scenario which is extremely rare.

If you back and research most shootings are isolated to a single room. By the time anyone would get there the damage is done.

I am not minimizing at all the importance of keeping our kids safe. But the fact is they are in more danger on the school bus.

Good luck though
    All of what you say is accurate. My concern, and it's been a concern for a long time, is what's keeping the radical islamists from doing the very same thing? I know it's "what if", but look at the gazillions of dollars we've spent on TSA, after the fact, to ensure that another plane isn't hijacked and used as a weapon. Imagine the sheer terror, an organized and motivated terrorist group could achieve, by simultaneously attacking soft targets here in the United States? That's what I'm concerned about sir.

We must, IMHO, harden our soft targets, NOW, to minimize the damage. These radical muslims are crossing our border every day now, commingled with the regular illegal immigrant groups. They aren't headed here for work. Their only mission in life is killing us, the infidels. Should we have the resolve to take action now, to thwart terrorist intentions, we'll already be in place to deal with the occasional whack job as a collateral benefit.

Advertising the fact that our schools are no longer free fire zones for cowards, will also go a long ways to preventing a repeat incident. We could do it, and we could do it cheaper than our government did TSA, and if the government wasn't controlling it, we'd probably be able to do it efficiently and cost effectively. Just sayin... LOL Be safe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And one armed security guard at a school is going to thwart a terrorists attack? Okee Dokee. I was on board with you at first but if that is your rationale then I am not so sure.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

mkh
    FIn Florida your concealed weapon license doesnt allow you to carry in schools or at school sponsored events.

Liability insurance will eat you alive.

This is really more about dissuading deranged young men from choosing to target a school. Knowing there is an armed person in the school ready to respond will keep most of these attacks from happening. Yes it is a small chance of happening but if you son or daughter are dead that small chance will not make you feel any better.

As for Liability insurance here in Wisconsin they built liability protection in to our carry law. Any place of business that allows concealed carry is not liable for the actions of someone that is carrying.

Also here in Wisconsin individuals can be authorized to carry on school property.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links