Panic attack from cold medicine

This is a discussion on Panic attack from cold medicine within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What a crappy night i had. I have been pretty sick since Saturday with head cold/sinus type of thing. I think i over did it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Panic attack from cold medicine

What a crappy night i had. I have been pretty sick since Saturday with head cold/sinus type of thing. I think i over did it on over the counter cold meds, and when i took Afrin nasal spray, it just made things worse... heart racing, anxiety, cold sweat.... what a lousy feeling. No sleep. It is wearing off now, but i was pretty close to going to the ER cause i felt like i was going to have a heart attack... I am going to Dr. in morning, and show them what i have been taking, and see if there is something else i can take that wont give me the shakes. Sorry for the long rant, just trying to calm down. Thanks. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

Yikes. Feel better, man.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Administrator
    Yes, there are seemingly harmless OTC Over The Counter meds that can give some people really serious complications and adverse reactions.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

To dry up your sinuses most OTC cold Meds have ephedrine, or similar drugs. They all can cause havoc with people,that are prone to panic attacks.

Most of time for a bad cold i just use benadryl. It can help with panic attacks too. Stay away from caffeine for a while.
    I find the most effective thing for a cold is just to flush your sinuses with a saline rinse
    Seeing the doc is a good idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Also, always read the labels for contraindications, especially when taking more than one med. Over-the-counter meds might interact with any prescription meds you take as well. Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; December 18th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

VIP Member
    Ugh, sorry about your bad reaction to Afrin. That's a horrible feeling.
    What works the best for me is Sudafed for sinus stuff but everyone reacts differently.

The most important thing IMO is to drink a LOT of water every day, especially when you're sick. Fill a pitcher up and leave it on the counter, then try to finish it by noon. Then fill it up again and finish that by evening. The more hydrated you can keep your cells, the better they can fight off the sickness.

Hope you feel better soon!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I have bad anxiety to begin with, so I'm the same when it comes to cough syrup. I take whatever they make in pill form, like Theraflu or something. Then I'm fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The most important thing IMO is to drink a LOT of water every day, especially when you're sick. Fill a pitcher up and leave it on the counter, then try to finish it by noon. Then fill it up again and finish that by evening. The more hydrated you can keep your cells, the better they can fight off the sickness.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the fluids, also as soon as I feel a cold coming on I take some Vitamin C daily as long as I have the cold. Also if you feel a cold coming on don't do a lot of physical exertion, you need to rest instead. At one time, I'd work through a cold and tough it out, and I noticed my colds lasted a long time. Not anymore, I stay in the house and rest, Vit C, drink fluids and it has shortened my cold durations.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Another problem with such "medicines" that dry up the fluid flow are that they directly impinge on the cells' ability to eject the "bug" and get you well. With colds (assuming that's all you've got), particularly given the risk of side-effects and all that, I've never found them nearly so useful as the basic one-two punch of (a) water and (b) rest.

Perhaps your doc will identify something else that'll avoid the racing heart, but frankly you might simply be better off with simple water/rest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No problem with Afrin here, but I minimize its use to only when absolutely necessary.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Use a saline nasal rinse, it really clears me up with no side affects. Twice a day will clear up a sinus infection for me without any antobiotics.

Decongestants work by constricting your blood vessels. So they are bad news for your blood pressure as well.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    The less medications you put into your body, the better off you are. We're really lucky to have antibiotics as long as you don't take them very often and built up an immunity to them.

I know a lot of people use the "Neti Pot" Buy SinuCleanse Neti Pot All Natural Nasal Wash System & More | drugstore.com. I had never heard of it till a couple of my co-workers were raving over it. It's like Saline nasal spray on steriods.There are lots of different versions, I saw one at Wal-Mart just yesterday.

There's a positive side to everything though. I had Bronchitis about 3 weeks ago and lost 5 pounds!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member
    I tried the neti pot, but I had better results with squeeze bottle version. I needed the saline to get further up in my sinuses than the neti pot could deliver.

All good suggestions... i am headed for the Doctor in an hour. I usually dont push myself when i get sick, as i treat cancer patients with radiations, and some are immunosuppressed.... whenever anyone in clinic shows signs of getting sick, its off to home till you are better. I have been drinking a ton of fluids, but will inquire as to what else i should do, other than rest. The bummer is our hospital gives no true sick time off, just paid time off... i have plently of time accrued, but it means i may have to cut a vacation short this summer... oh well. thanks for the suggestions. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    All good suggestions... i am headed for the Doctor in an hour. I usually dont push myself when i get sick, as i treat cancer patients with radiations, and some are immunosuppressed.... whenever anyone in clinic shows signs of getting sick, its off to home till you are better. I have been drinking a ton of fluids, but will inquire as to what else i should do, other than rest. The bummer is our hospital gives no true sick time off, just paid time off... i have plently of time accrued, but it means i may have to cut a vacation short this summer... oh well. thanks for the suggestions. bunker
    Maybe you have a sinus infection and DO need antibiotics. If so, they should help a lot in addition to the water and rest. When I say "rest" I mean in bed, not down in the work shop or cleaning your gun collection. Most active people don't know how to rest. Good luck and feel better by tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I tried the neti pot, but I had better results with squeeze bottle version. I needed the saline to get further up in my sinuses than the neti pot could deliver.
    Oh, you must use the one that you have to have a perscription for: FREE SHIPPING NorthStar Gas Powered Wet Steam & Hot Water Pressure Washer with Honda Engine 3000 PSI, 4 GPM | Gas-Hot Water| Northern Tool + Equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links