Three questions that stunned me this afternoon

This is a discussion on Three questions that stunned me this afternoon within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Those questions were asked because they ran a credit report on you. It is fairly common practice....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Three questions that stunned me this afternoon

Those questions were asked because they ran a credit report on you. It is fairly common practice.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    The Internet is a wonderful thing... There is no anonymity anymore.
    Anonymity_?

Strange! I've never been asked, or heard of anyone else being asked, questions like this before!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    I hate the business managers part of the sale. did he try and sell you a $250.00 wax job on a new car also?

Note to self: Buy cheap, used cars through Craigslist.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    It would have cost him $10,000 either way with me. If he didn't ask the gov't would fine him. How would they knowif hr asked or not? He would have had to drop the price that much to ask them with me. There are other dealerships. Almost reminded me when I bought my truck 9 years ago. I paid a deposit by check and came back the next day with cash. I had $10,000 in $100 bills. The salesman was great the cashier needed glasses. I paid what I owed ($9200) and she counted it as $920 not once but three times. I was getting ready to cancel the sale when the salesman turned on her lightbulb. She almost cost them a $19200 cash sale. I wonder if she is still there?

I just went online to buy a birth certificate for my daughter. I was asked about five questions very similar to the OP's to verify I was who I said I was. All of them seemed really weird until
    I recognized a few of the addresses and names from my past. Apparently the identity theft guys have not figured out how to answer all these questions correctly, so the fact they let you have
    the car shows you passed the test.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    My ex had something like this happen to her when she tried to buy some furniture on credit. They asked real crazy questions, like, what color was your van that you had....10 yrs ago. They were difficult questions because they pertained to things that happened years and years ago. I think she failed the interview because they denied her and she didn't buy any furniture that night. The lady at the counter told us that it was something they had to do for the credit agency they were going through - I can't remember who it was, etc.

You'll have to tell us more about the truck. How about some pictures? Remember that truck thread we had going some time ago? If you can find that one, you should post some in that one.

Congrats on the new ride. ;-)

1) What is your name?
    2) What is your quest?
    3) What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

(Don't even ask if the swallow is African or European)
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Never heard of anything like this. At that point I would have departed for a different dealership.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

StarPD45
    Just bought a new car about a year ago. Financed a small part of it. Never heard any questions like that.
    I think I would have walked out if they had started that &^%$#.
    Eagleks likes this.

There is an Identity theft bill that was passed several years ago as part of the Patriot Act(don't get me started on that...) EVERY financial institution is REQUIRED to verify your identity.
    There are various means to do that. The questions are generally taken from your credit report and are computer generated. The questions are designed so that an identity thief, might get 1 or 2 of the answers correct, but will not be able to answer all of them correctly. Here in AZ, I had to answer those types of questions for our mortgage and a pickup I bought. Since I've gone back to the same dealer again and again, I've not had to answer them again. It's like some one asking me for id when I pay with a CC thank you for looking out for me....

VIP Member
    With all the identity theft, it's probably to your advantage that they make sure YOU are who you say you are and not some joe wanting to buy a big ticket item on your dime.

It's annoying, but that's the world we live in now...no going back.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scout706 View Post
    There is an Identity theft bill that was passed several years ago as part of the Patriot Act(don't get me started on that...) EVERY financial institution is REQUIRED to verify your identity.
    There are various means to do that. The questions are generally taken from your credit report and are computer generated. The questions are designed so that an identity thief, might get 1 or 2 of the answers correct, but will not be able to answer all of them correctly. Here in AZ, I had to answer those types of questions for our mortgage and a pickup I bought. Since I've gone back to the same dealer again and again, I've not had to answer them again. It's like some one asking me for id when I pay with a CC thank you for looking out for me....
    This sounds like what was going on. I did talk to my credit manager cousin and he says he only needs a valid photo ID when doing paperwork with their customers. Actually he'd never heard of those three questions, he guessed it was some layer of protection in their business credit software. Although I wasn't using credit, it was part of the built-in process.

No, I didn't like any of this, in fact that's why I posted it to see how widespread this was. I am quick to walk, but I did my best not to get riled up. I have been searching for the specs/options of a truck equipped like I want it. I searched the inventory of 24 different dealers and found one truck like I needed, and they had the one I needed. Of course I didn't tell them that. For tax purposes I needed to buy it in 2012, and I accomplished all of that.

The main thing the credit manager wanted out of me was another 3K for extended warranty. He drug that presentation and information on forever. After I told him "no" about 3 times, it dawned on him we were done, and the lengthy presentation ended.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scout706 View Post
    According to the banks that my company uses, "know your customer" law was weak on details. They were told that they had to suffucient measure to identify their customers or face the govenment's wrath. Each has different ways that their legal dept's determined was "sufficient." We have stopped doing business with one because their requirements were riduculous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links