Three questions that stunned me this afternoon

This is a discussion on Three questions that stunned me this afternoon within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I bought a truck at a dealership today. As I began the final paperwork with the business manager he began by stating that he had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Three questions that stunned me this afternoon

VIP Member

I bought a truck at a dealership today. As I began the final paperwork with the business manager he began by stating that he had to ask me three questions, and if he didn't he'd be faced with a $10,000 fine !!!

He asked me if I added the first and last number of my social security number what would the answer be? Note he didn't ask me my SS, he just wanted the sum.

He asked me did I have a family member that was associated with one of these addresses, and he named off about five street and house numbers. Yes one of them was at one time my son's residence, though he had since moved about 3 years ago. He didn't ask me his address, he just asked me was one familiar.

He asked me was I personally familiar with one of these addresses and he named off about 5 street and house numbers. Yes one of them was at one time my residence, where I once lived about 25 years ago.

He said I passed the valid ID test and the program said I was who I was. Although he had my DL, he stated the "government" required him to do that or be fined. I thought I was in another country !!! I'm just buying a pickup truck and I'm not even financing it.

Has anyone ever experienced this themselves, or know more about this?

Someone knows my old address from 25 years ago, I wonder if they know about my shop fire where I lost most of my guns?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Leased my truck about 3months ago now, and had none of that. Peculiar
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Very strange.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    That's the type of stuff they ask you to do an online credit check.
    mano3 likes this.

would they have refused to sell the truck to you if you had elected to not answer those questions?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

The questions might have had to do with transactions involving over $10,000 in cash - rules related to money laundering.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That is so bizarre. I live in NJ and never had to go through that. You should have asked more detailed questions and for a copy of the law that required him to ask you those questions.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

I did a verification to attach a credit card online last summer that had the same questions. I'm guessing you used a credit card for part of the purchase?

At least they didn't ask you if you were a tree what kind of tree you would be.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    That is a new one on me and I just bought a new truck back in July.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've had similar questions to verify ID for a credit check, but not about other people's addresses, only mine and never the add SS number trick. Usually have you ever lived in one of these three counties? have you ever had an account at any of these banks? (can be tricky since they sell accounts and buy each other out all the time...) and usually one about previous street addresses. I think I've been asked about payment amounts too, like for your mortgage with xyz bank your monthly payment is closest to $600, $300 or $500? I dunno if the government fines them for not asking. I have a fraud alert out on my Credit report, so I expect extra questions.

I doubt they know about fires, I don't think insurance payouts or police reports show up on regular credit checks. I'm sure if you applied for a new insurance company to cover the new truck, they would know about the fire, at least the official reports on it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

When I wired money to somebody, I was asked these same questions.

I was definitely a little creeped out.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

You mean you didn't get the prostate check too?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes the same three questions were asked me, when I set up a Walgreens prescription auto refill account, they even had two addresses places I lived that 20 years ago, when I was off the grid I thought.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You mean you didn't get the prostate check too?
    Funny you mentioned that, because much to the chagrin of my wife, I asked him was a prostate check the next part of the process? I even pointed out the container of hand sanitizer mounted on the wall next to the exit door in his office.

No credit card used or financing endeavors. The guy said it was an identity check to guarantee the right person's name was on the title. The questions seemed harmless since I wasn't giving him answers that were particularly meaningful. I have a cousin who is a credit manager for a different type of business, I'll see what he says about this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links