Interesting question at my physical today...... - Page 3

Interesting question at my physical today......

This is a discussion on Interesting question at my physical today...... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...and you should really worry if the Dr. Does a double take while examining you and asks, "What IS that?"...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Interesting question at my physical today......

...and you should really worry if the Dr. Does a double take while examining you and asks, "What IS that?"

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Yeah... I get that one at the VA twice a year...

Always a good and honest "no"...

Scared to think what might happen if I answered otherwise...

Read the papers. People are losing their gun rights, especially if you were at the VA.

I think the "are you depressed" and " have you thought about ending your life" questions were added after Obama was re elected.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I was asked these questions for the first time in early September. When I pushed back, the nurse got a confused look on her face. She was just reading off the laptop and had never thought why they were now part of the routine. I tried to get her to think a bit but it was obvious it wasn't going to happen so I just said no and moved on. I suspect I will be having a lot opportunities to practice biting my tongue in the days to come.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Then just say, "No. Ever since I heard about BEC's I don't feel safe anywhere".
    Bacon, egg, cheese… I can think of nothing that makes me feel safer!
    Jeanlouise and Spirit51 like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Alot of doctors used to have their own practice. In the last ten years or so, malpratice insurance has gotten really expensive and many of those osld their practices to a hospital or larger medical group. The doctors became employess again and are now dictated some of these types of requirements by their employer. I think it is a sign of increased beauracracy and will probably get worse as obamacare is furhter implemented.

Interesting question at my physical today......

I've often been asked the do you feel safe at home questions, especially at the hospital even when there for illness not injury. I had to laugh because my husband was sitting right there - I do feel safe at home but you really think someone in an abuse situation is going to answer honestly with the spouse RIGHT THERE? I think not. It was obvious it was a checklist question. The only time I've been asked about guns was by the pediatrician and her only follow up was do you keep them in a safe? Okay, good - moving on...

VIP Member
    I'm one of those RN's that have had to ask those questions. Believe me, we know how lame some of them are. As Lish points out, who's going to say, "no" when the abuser is there in the room? There are none verbal cues though. If I ask a woman that question and she hesitates, locks eyes with her husband and then says "no"...something might be up...or not. I'd check the "no" answer because that's what she said but I might also write in a note for the Social Worker to stop by her room (when hubby isn't there) to talk.

ANYHOO...depending on the computer program they're using, if all the answers aren't check marked, you can't move on to the next page. The computer will give you a message that you have not completed the page and highlight the questions you skipped. Since we obviously can't make up answers for the patient, we have to ask. Much of it is CYA for the hospital because of law suits and government requirements. The medical field is mired down in bureaucracy and it's about to get a million times worse. As it is we spend more time taking care of the computer than we do the patient. That's why a LOT of people are leaving the medical field.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Bacon, egg, cheese… I can think of nothing that makes me feel safer!
    On a biscuit with a touch of hot sauce. Hmmmmmm. Now I need to make breakfast.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Re: Interesting question at my physical today......

I wouldn't suggest answering anything regarding firearms honestly at the VA.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Those are "commonly required" questions. Different places have different requirments. As stated before those answers go into a software program, many of which will not allow you to procede until the questions are answered. They simply are a Yes or No or a Unable to answer due to unconsciouness answer, there isn't a space for an explination.
    Often the staff that are asking these questions feel bad or even stupid for doing so, but it is part of thier job.

In the city where I worked as a medic, the local Emergency Departments were mandated to help prevent domestic violence. One shift, while transporting a combative patient, she tore open my arm with her finger nails and a very gross story made short, I was expoused to various bodily fluids during the restraining process. So I needed to have my blood drawn and get tested for HIV, all the Hepitities series etc and start an antibiotic protocol. During the process the nurse had to ask me "Do you feel safe at home?" We both got a good laugh out of stupid that question sounded being asked to me.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links