Surprising reply from one of our Democratic senators

This is a discussion on Surprising reply from one of our Democratic senators within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the wake of Sandy Hook and the renewed push for the AWB and other gun control legislation, I emailed my various representatives twice. Once ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By AK_Brian
  • 3 Post By KBSR
  • 1 Post By Smilinswordsman

Thread: Surprising reply from one of our Democratic senators

Surprising reply from one of our Democratic senators

In the wake of Sandy Hook and the renewed push for the AWB and other gun control legislation, I emailed my various representatives twice. Once about safety in our schools, and again about Senator Feinstein's AWB legislation.

Somewhat unexpectedly the only reply I received that I felt was positive was from our Democratic senator, Mark Begich. The rest of the Republican representatives gave me various replies including "not wanting to engage in gun control politics" or "now isn't the time to bring up the Second Amendment."

Here's the critical bit of reply from Senator Begich that surprised me, though I do know he has generally not been anti-gun in the past:

In the aftermath of this awful crime, we must be vigilant about addressing future threats to public safety. There is no simple solution, but I do not believe more restrictive gun laws will prevent criminals from committing acts of violence. I have always been and continue to be a strong defender of Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens.
    Could just be lip service, but again I just was a bit surprised that the response I expected to see from our Republican reps came from our Democrat and the Republicans kind of...waved it aside.
    Jeanlouise, cn262 and SayVandelay like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    In the wake of Sandy Hook and the renewed push for the AWB and other gun control legislation, I emailed my various representatives twice. Once about safety in our schools, and again about Senator Feinstein's AWB legislation.

Somewhat unexpectedly the only reply I received that I felt was positive was from our Democratic senator, Mark Begich. The rest of the Republican representatives gave me various replies including "not wanting to engage in gun control politics" or "now isn't the time to bring up the Second Amendment."

Here's the critical bit of reply from Senator Begich that surprised me, though I do know he has generally not been anti-gun in the past:

Could just be lip service, but again I just was a bit surprised that the response I expected to see from our Republican reps came from our Democrat and the Republicans kind of...waved it aside.
    There you are. Going against the American people on gun control issues is political suicide, and even most Democrats realize this. Outstanding. Thanks for the post.
    atctimmy, AK_Brian and Brad426 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Yeah he went on to say how the issue isn't with the tools but with the judgment of the users, and especially the mental stability of users. Now this is definitely the liberal part of his stance coming through - in which he describes pushing legislation forward to provide training and aid in early detection of mental illness, but I'll take training people and recognizing issues over knee-jerk gun control reaction anyday.

The Democratic Party will pull his card if they get wind of this...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Yeah hopefully not - could use more Democrats with that mindset right? :P That much said I'm glad to see the support.

This makes me happy.
    AK_Brian likes this.

Spoken like a true Alaskan!

Links