What's the story behind your avatar?

This is a discussion on What's the story behind your avatar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Matt Helm played by Dean Martin. A Pittsburgh based.... Rat Pack ..... with me as the Dean character [I sing a little before I count ...

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: What's the story behind your avatar?

Matt Helm played by Dean Martin. A Pittsburgh based.... Rat Pack ..... with me as the Dean character [I sing a little before I count my money, gamble ,a little, and drink moderately.
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

2. Remove Ads

Mine is me in my green belt (TKD) just before my purple belt test, the last belt I obtained before it was "suggested" by my Orthopedic Surgeon that I change disciplines before I need 2 knee replacements.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Mine is a pic of a cow elephant that is " somewhat" people friendly. She is on a game reserve in the Limpopo province of South Africa, and is used to raise orphaned calves.

I had been feeding her sunflower seeds, which she really likes, and when I was posing for this pic, she was walking up behind me for more seeds.
    It was very difficult to stand still for the pic knowing she was walking up behind me.
    I also stop and visit her, bringing lots of American treats for both her and any little orphaned calves she may be raising.

If you look at the pic closely, you can see the back of a baby elephant on the lower right.
    That's a good story to hear. I always thought you had crappy SA for letting an elephant sneak up on you like that!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    Well, I didn't have one before this thread but had been thinking about it. Went with the USAF Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon since I earned the right to wear it.
    So you managed to empty the gun without hitting the guy next to you, huh? Me too.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 21st, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
    DontTreadOnI and blanco64 like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Share if you care to.

I don't take myself too seriously. I'm not professionally trained, I'm not ex-military, and I don't fool myself into giving self-defense "advice." I have opinions, and sometimes the opinions are well thought out, and sometimes they are not. If you read my posts, you'll be able to tell which ones are which.

Hence the revolver with a minor design flaw.
    Didn't Annie Oakley design that?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I used to dabble in Linux years back. I couldn't find the Linux penguin in a theme that had anything to do with defensive arms, so I thought this one would do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    What was your original avatar? If you don't mind me asking lol
    Since none of the Mods are reading this thread ... I'll tell you.

It was the Medical symbol with the following words underneath it:

Ask your doctor if getting off your (insert other word for donkey) is right for you.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Born and raised in Brighton Beach neighborhood in Brooklyn, just down the boardwalk from Coney Island where the parachute jump ride is located. As kids we wasted quite a bit of our allowance money on those rides

I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky in 1978. Wore that patch on my left shoulder.
    Last edited by Luis50; December 21st, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    blanco64, 64zebra and Exacto like this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I like the Godfather...my wife thinks I've watched it too many times...I think I know every line...

If it shows up on the TV guide, she'll say, "Hey, the Godfather is on, you haven't seen that one yet!"
    Hahaha! That actually did just make me laugh out loud. I get a lot of good natured ribbing from my wife regarding my "little idiosyncrasies"...and to be honest, I deserve it. I have a lot of them. She is a saint!

I work in IT and use the Linux OS on my personal computers. One of my coworkers showed me this video which is pretty funny if you're into computers.

blanco64 and 64zebra like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Since none of the Mods are reading this thread ... I'll tell you.

It was the Medical symbol with the following words underneath it:

Ask your doctor if getting off your (insert other word for donkey) is right for you.
    Leave it to the mods for no sense of humor:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Leave it to the mods for no sense of humor:)
    I did not find that humorous
    Darrow75, atctimmy, OD* and 5 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Mine is of a Dragonslayer.

Looks like he was prepared for everything and anything that roamed the earth in medieval times.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How many of you exist today because your fathers or grandfathers were not killed invading mainland Japan?
    Me, my wife and her 4 siblings.

My dad was AAF training in gliders for the invasion of Japan. Father-in-law was a ground pounder, 96th infantry, who survived the invasions of Leyte and Okinawa, but the next one would have been the biggie.
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links