What's the story behind your avatar?

This is a discussion on What's the story behind your avatar? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife gave me a 'Dogfather' t-shirt long ago, back when the 'Godfather' films were in vogue. There has been a dog, ( or dogs), ...

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: What's the story behind your avatar?

My wife gave me a 'Dogfather' t-shirt long ago, back when the 'Godfather' films were in vogue. There has been a dog, ( or dogs), in my life as long as I can remember. (Most) dogs have always seemed to take to me. I'm a dog man. I am the Dogfather. I sure love these two in my avatar. They may be small in stature, but they are huge in heart, in character, and attitude.
    Doghandler, Jeanlouise and mprp like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Yes. I am a pirate, 200 years too late!

Wow. I thought you were Johnny Depp.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Well that's the LCR .38Sp that replaced my S&W Airweight that punished my hand with every shot.
    The Ruger IMO is much better, unfortunately the wife thought so too. That's her hand showing how
    well it fits. Still my favorite pocket carry !

That's the LCR .38Sp that replaced my S&W Airweight 642.
    Better fit, accurate and much softer recoil. Great for pocket
    carry in a Galco. Unfortunately the wife took a liking to it
    after one trip to the range, that's her hand I have to pry it
    out of.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    EOD school is a pass/fail grade. You don't want to fail!
    Actually it's the post-graduation work that is really pass/fail. Like we say "Initial Success or Total Failure".
    msgt/ret, OldVet and blanco64 like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My cat, Bubbie. First picture taken with my digital camera.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Actually it's the post-graduation work that is really pass/fail. Like we say "Initial Success or Total Failure".
    I knew that, seeing as my son is Navy Reserve dive-salvage/EOD officer amongst other things.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just a default Army picture
    blanco64 likes this.

It is from a video I made a few years ago. I like it since you can see the bullet clearly because of the sun's reflection off the base of it.

blanco64, PEF and 64zebra like this.

It took me hours of soul searching to pick out my avatar. I wanted something that was personal, but did not give away too much. I wanted it to be a reflection on "me", but without coming off as arogant. I felt that this avatar was the closest to this idea as I could find.

Mine is of me racing in a VCHSS hare scramble.

I love the smell of premix (and gunpowder) in the morning.

Good times.
    NCSoxFan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    It's from a horror film called "Antichrist" by Lars von Trier. Check out the specific clip below (warning: might be graphic, but probably not):

EXCELLENT FILM!!! I cannot get anyone to watch it because of the Subtitles! :(
    As far as my av it's a german SS soldier. I've been fascinated with German militaria for years. I'm not a racist neo nazi supporter I just like history alot. I am switching my avatar to the unit my grandfather served in during ww2 tho. Has some history :)
    blanco64 likes this.

RAL
    I recently changed mine. I switched from a picture of one of my registered therapy dog's, to a picture of another of my registered therapy dogs.

This dog was thrown from a moving car on a country road (my friend saw her flying through the air). She was starving, had 4 kinds of internal parasites, no hair on her back, was in heat, dripping milk, and the other dog they threw at the same time, died. No rescue had a space for her, and our local Humane Society just killed dogs that looked like her. It was a choice of her death, or life at my house. I chose life and I'm glad I did. The dog that no one wanted is now wanted by everyone. She visits hospitals, nursing homes, day care centers, pre-schools, elementary schools (helping children learn to read), libraries, colleges, churches, vacation Bible schools, funeral homes, and a lot of other places. She helps me teach
    Bite Prevention programs. She has helped me work with Hospice patients.

She has gone from a dog that did not know how to snuggle, to a champion cuddler. We've had her for the past 4 years (we think she's 6 or 7 but we don't know). This is the dog you want with you if you camp in the winter. She loves to be in a sleeping bag with you. She doesn't even want her nose sticking out. She has almost no hair on her tummy, so all that heat comes directly to me. She doesn't move all night.

She is named after a WWII pin-up. She's a hard working, red head with lots of muscles. You'd love to meet her! She would make you at least smile or laugh out loud.
    Jeanlouise, usmcj, Lish and 8 others like this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Distinguished Member
    RAL...bless you for saving this sweet dog! That's an amazing story. It sounds as if she was meant to be your dog all along but had to go through hell to get there.
    Merry Christmas to her and especially to you for being such a God send.
    OD* and RAL like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    I recently changed mine. I switched from a picture of one of my registered therapy dog's, to a picture of another of my registered therapy dogs.

This dog was thrown from a moving car on a country road (my friend saw her flying through the air). She was starving, had 4 kinds of internal parasites, no hair on her back, was in heat, dripping milk, and the other dog they threw at the same time, died. No rescue had a space for her, and our local Humane Society just killed dogs that looked like her. It was a choice of her death, or life at my house. I chose life and I'm glad I did. The dog that no one wanted is now wanted by everyone. She visits hospitals, nursing homes, day care centers, pre-schools, elementary schools (helping children learn to read), libraries, colleges, churches, vacation Bible schools, funeral homes, and a lot of other places. She helps me teach
    Bite Prevention programs. She has helped me work with Hospice patients.

She has gone from a dog that did not know how to snuggle, to a champion cuddler. We've had her for the past 4 years (we think she's 6 or 7 but we don't know). This is the dog you want with you if you camp in the winter. She loves to be in a sleeping bag with you. She doesn't even want her nose sticking out. She has almost no hair on her tummy, so all that heat comes directly to me. She doesn't move all night.

She is named after a WWII pin-up. She's a hard working, red head with lots of muscles. You'd love to meet her! She would make you at least smile or laugh out loud.
    Thank you for sharing that, God will smile upon you for what you have done for one of his injured creatures.

Betty or Grable?

Oh, you said red head, so it ain't Betty.

Rita?
    RAL and Rock and Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Links