Culture of Violence - Root Cause - Page 2

Culture of Violence - Root Cause

This is a discussion on Culture of Violence - Root Cause within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ksholder Let me start off by saying I don't have all the answers - or maybe many of them. In the wake ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Culture of Violence - Root Cause

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Let me start off by saying I don't have all the answers - or maybe many of them. In the wake of the Newtown shooting, there has been a ton of analysis, posturing and pontificating. I have seen many people state that we have a "Culture of Violence". They tend to have as many "causes" for that culture as there are analysts.

I have seen at least the following blamed for causing the Culture of Violence (and I am sure there are a ton more):

- Hollywood
    - Video games
    - Easy availability of guns (regardless of the fact the shooter could not legally buy his guns)
    - Poor mental health services or lack of availability of such services.
    - Guns themselves, just the fact they exist.
    - The US' "tradition of guns".

I am sure you too have seen these and many more. BUT, the one causative factor I have yet to see blamed is the economy/unemployment. I am not saying that some of these other factors could not be relavent, but they sure could be exacerbated by the economy or lack of jobs.

These are some of my thoughts on the "Culture of Violence" comments that are being bandied about. This is not my opinion for why the Newton shooter acted the way he did. I am interested in your thoughts on the role the economy plays in violence in our culture.
    Ksholder, I have three responses for you. I agree with you that bad economic times make the unemployed people desperate; they want to put food on the table and presents for the kids under the Christmas tree. Here is a link to a looting by everyday people in Argentina who became desperate as reported by BBC. BBC News - Argentina: Troops deployed after looting at ski resort.

The other response comes from the thinking of Socrates and Plato. Their definition of evil/sin was ignorance of the Truth. If a person knew the Truth that we are all connected and One, then he would not be violent towards others (unless the person is suicidal). Most people do not hurt themselves: we don't shoot off our hands if we get angry at somebody, for example!

I also agree with some of the other folks who mentioned parental discipline and upbringing that taught them right from wrong. I think that has a lot to do with most people becoming "normal" and responsible citizens.

Ksholder: You asked a good question; it makes us all stop and think!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Re: Culture of Violence - Root Cause

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My mom's hairbrush taught me the meaning of right and wrong. Now, when I come to that fork in the road, I think about that brush and why I remember it so well. Then I take the proper fork. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Mine was my dads belt.

Sent using my phone.
    Piratesailor likes this.

I really do believe in good and evil,I believe some people are more inclined to choose evil over good and then act on their evil thoughts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Mine was my dads belt.

Sent using my phone.
    Mine might have been except for Mom got home first and took matters into her own hands--so to speak!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Just came back from Jamaica where a local told me that young men there with no jobs and no education have no hope of doing anything other than begging so they turn to violent crime to get enough money to survive. Here, in the U.S., whether perceived or actual, people may feel hopeless and disenfranchised to the point they are driven over the edge. Demonizing the gun is a band-aid fix for a complex social problem. The gun is a scapegoat for many things broken in this country and easily vilified by those who lack accountability and responsibility. I fear it will get worse before it gets better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links