Culture of Violence - Root Cause

This is a discussion on Culture of Violence - Root Cause within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let me start off by saying I don't have all the answers - or maybe many of them. In the wake of the Newtown shooting, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Culture of Violence - Root Cause

VIP Member

Let me start off by saying I don't have all the answers - or maybe many of them. In the wake of the Newtown shooting, there has been a ton of analysis, posturing and pontificating. I have seen many people state that we have a "Culture of Violence". They tend to have as many "causes" for that culture as there are analysts.

I have seen at least the following blamed for causing the Culture of Violence (and I am sure there are a ton more):

- Hollywood
    - Video games
    - Easy availability of guns (regardless of the fact the shooter could not legally buy his guns)
    - Poor mental health services or lack of availability of such services.
    - Guns themselves, just the fact they exist.
    - The US' "tradition of guns".

I am sure you too have seen these and many more. BUT, the one causative factor I have yet to see blamed is the economy/unemployment. I am not saying that some of these other factors could not be relavent, but they sure could be exacerbated by the economy or lack of jobs.

These are some of my thoughts on the "Culture of Violence" comments that are being bandied about. This is not my opinion for why the Newton shooter acted the way he did. I am interested in your thoughts on the role the economy plays in violence in our culture.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I do not know if we really know the roots of violence and perhaps we may never know. We can guess, and analyze all we want, but the fact is certain people are extremely violent these days and we just can't figure out why.

But, the anti gun people have their opinion and it's the gun that makes people violent. Without access to them or total elimination, there will no longer be the need to be violent. To them the solution is simple : No guns, no violence.

And if you believe that, I'm in the process of making a new Mayan-like Calendar for 2013 so we will all know the true ending of the world.
    RandyatOBX likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My mom's hairbrush taught me the meaning of right and wrong. Now, when I come to that fork in the road, I think about that brush and why I remember it so well. Then I take the proper fork. Hasn't failed me yet.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No guns, no violence.

How did people KILL each other before guns? Knives, before that ,,,, rocks & sticks.

Evil people, do evil things,,,,, always have & always will, regardless of the laws man make.
    RandyatOBX and KBSR like this.

Going after the root of the issue is the key to solving this puzzle. We keep hearing about our "gun violence" problem, but what we really have is a "violence" problem. Determining the root cause is difficult and would probably cause most to question some of their deeply held beliefs. It's easier to go after the symptoms, but as in anything else, treating the symptoms doesn't get rid of the problem.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The root of violence is sin. I believe in the notion of total depravity of the human condition which accounts for quite a bit of the evil we see in the world today.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

We have 300+million people and 24 hour cable TV. We have spent a week watching every detail of a horrible event. We got the biographies of the children as they were buried. No mention of the children that were backed over every day-average of 10 per day, 2 fatal. In the last 20 years, our violent crime rate has fallen about 50% across the board, even with the proliferation of guns and CCWs. Looking at Australia or England, used as models for gun control, violence is still high. Aussies never had many mass shootings (except for Abos), so removing guns didn't do much. Didn't change their murder rate much, even. Britain, on the other hand, has a reputation for violent crimes.

The Devil.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The problem starts at home. Let me tell you of something I seen at Wal Mart. I was doing my duty as a buggy pusher for my wife and I saw a very pregnant young lady with a one year old in her buggy what I would guess a 3-4 year old walking. They went past a toy end cap display and the older child told his mom he wanted a toy she told him no. He then went back and grabbed the toy and loudly said he wanted it. Mom went back, took the toy, replaced it and told him in a soft voice that they didn’t have the money he went to screaming and started pounding her with his fists......it didn’t look to gentle. She turned, took the toy and put it in her cart. The abusive child shut up and they went on. My wife teaches in school. Discipline is not allowed. You are suppose to use logic with a child or a rewards program. When I was a young child should you step out of line a teacher, neighbor or family member would discipline you not with logic but as the bible states. Should it have been a teacher or neighbor, well, you got it again when you got home. Aside from not coping with the mental issues (as with Sandy Hook), by the parent, teachers or health care givers (all these ultimately allowed this tragedy) discipline also figures in.

I agree that some of the violence could be attributed to our poor economy, and the lack of jobs. Most violent crime that is committed in America is done by repeat offenders, that should be in prison for their last offense, or still in prison, but due to our overburdened court system, and weak judges, they're released early to prey on the weak. Some of these violators might not have turned to crime, had they had jobs, and responsibilities. Who knows?

But that isn't the case with the latest rampage shooter, or really any of them. I think some of the blame for these can be attributed to the way our media sensationalizes the events, giving these people their 15 minutes of fame. I'd appreciate it if the media would take a cue from our sports networks in this regard. When a nut job runs onto the field of play, whether it be baseball or football, the camera does not focus on it. Rather the broadcasters make some small derogatory comment about it, and they wait it out. Dropping all regularly scheduled programming, to cover these incidents encourages others to follow suit, IMHO.

Evil has always existed in our world, and it always will. Evil doesn't cease to exist because we don't acknowledge it. It must be dealt with, head on, with extreme violence. Abolish the "gun free" zones and encourage good men and women, willing to help, to carry concealed. I'll step down off the soap box now. :)
    mulle46 and cn262 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I've played violent video games (not just military war games, Grand Theft Auto too) since I was a kid. I've listened to Heavy Metal music for as long as I can remember. Violent TV, movies, comic books, childhood games (cowboys & indians, war, etc.) are and have been a part of my life. Watched professional wrestling whenever I could. I watch American Guns, Sons Of Guns, Personal Defense TV, Tac TV, Best Defense, American Rifleman TV, Gun Stories, Top Shot, Impossible Shots, Deadliest Warrior, and several shows on the Military Channel. Grew up around guns and Dad had more than his share of them. My Dad was a truck driver so I heard all the bad words on a regular basis. I've struggled paying bills and keeping my family comfortable and still do. Eggs and toilet paper regularly beat out guns and ammo on the list of necessities. I've carried a pistol for more than a few years now and have been very angry at more than a few people while carrying.

Add this all together and the idiots will tell you I'll be the next to attack an underprivelidged orphanage for the blind.

BUT...

I was disciplined (including spanking) as a child when I deserved it. I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school. Among the many things I learned there and at home were the Ten Comandments and the Golden Rule. I've never studied law, but following the the 2 things mentioned above have kept me from having run-ins with the law. Never really thought of killing, stealing, rape, and physical violence as being illegal or against the law. I just knew they were wrong and I wouldn't want someone doing those things to me. I've also learned over the years that other people sometimes do these things and I have to be aware of that. I also know the potential for anyone to do these things is lurking about and I rely on my upbringing to prevent me from doing any of them.

Now I'm not saying you have to be raised Catholic, Christian, Jewish, or any other religion to be as great a person as I am. While I think my Christianity has a lot to do with it, I give a majority of the credit to my parents (of course they brought me to Christianity). We all need a strong upbringing and we all need inspiration. Parenting, discipline, and inspiration have certainly changed over the last several years and I think that has more to do with our problems than anything. That and the fact that everyone has the capability to be evil and some choose to let it take control.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 15:19
    For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.
    I don't think it's what goes into a person (movies, video games, comic books, etc.) that "defiles" a person, but what comes out of them.

I, too, grew up playing video games and watching violent movies and television and have never been tempted to kill anyone. Parents need to monitor what their children watch and play, but use violence as an opportunity to teach them that evil exists, and tell/show them how to combat it rather than hide from it.
    Sandpiper likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I'm guessing part of the reason people snap with such violence is because they encounter reality for the first time and they don't know how to deal with it. Most young people have been told over and over how special they are, how they always win, and how they deserve everything - now. All part of the culture of instant gratification and entitlement. Then, when life doesn't work out that way, they have no coping mechanism for dealing with failure and they fly off the handle. That theater shooter seemed like that, though it remains to be seen what his motivation was.

I think we are not just dealing with violence - people have always been violent. But now we have those who lash out with so much rage because they don't know what else to do when things don't go their way. Some of my students were like that: "Why did I get a D?". Because you earned it. Blank look and then lots of anger.
    BlueHawk76 and packinnova like this.

Excessive liberalism, parental neglect or the government trying to take away parental rights (spare the rod stuff), Hollywood (goes with liberalism), taking God out of our lives... And the list goes on

We can argue and discuss until the cows come home and it won't make a bit of difference. Two reasons. The first, as someone already stated, man has been killing man since the dawn of time and evil is always present. The second is you can't unwind time. We are where we are and the government will only now take more control, push more liberalism, less God and we will only get worse as a nation. 52% of the nation think and voted that way. The term "everything is on the table" is liberal code for "this our chance to start taking away rights and gain more control".

I'm sorry my daughter will inherit this country; I tried my best.

VIP Member
    There are a few evil, twisted people out there. The 24/7 news cyclists anxiously wait for the next one to get through. The worse the deed, the more lengthy and more intense the coverage.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links