3-D printers must be banned they are (gasp) capable of printing guns.

This is a discussion on 3-D printers must be banned they are (gasp) capable of printing guns. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Click, print, shoot: Downloadable guns possible SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Downloading a gun's design plans to your computer, building it on a three-dimensional printer and ...

Thread: 3-D printers must be banned they are (gasp) capable of printing guns.

VIP Member

3-D printers must be banned they are (gasp) capable of printing guns.

Click, print, shoot: Downloadable guns possible

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Downloading a gun's design plans to your computer, building it on a three-dimensional printer and firing it minutes later. No background checks, no questions asked.

Sound far-fetched? It's not. And that is disquieting for gun control advocates.

Rep. Steven Israel, D-NY, said the prospect of such guns becoming reality is reason enough for the renewal of the Undetectable Firearms Act, which makes illegal the building of guns that can't be detected by X-ray or metallic scanners. That law expires at the end of 2013.

(snip)

University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, the 24-year-old "Wiki Weapons" project leader, says the group last month test fired a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle — one of the weapon types used in the Connecticut elementary school massacre — which was built with some key parts created on a 3-D printer. The gun was fired six times before it broke.
    EarthLink - U.S. News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

And to think, I was already considering a 3D Printer....
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: 3-D printers must be banned they are (gasp) capable of printing guns.

I already attempted to print an AR receiver and 1911 frame on mine. I had some trouble with warping, need to build a heated build chamber.

I never expected them to be usable, but I thought I could maybe use them to make molds.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Rachael Maddow picked up on this nonsense and spewed it out on her program. I couldn't believe it. For somebody that is supposed to be a Rhodes Scholar, she can say incredibly dumb things sometimes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, the 24-year-old "Wiki Weapons" project leader, says the group last month test fired a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle — one of the weapon types used in the Connecticut elementary school massacre — which was built with some key parts created on a 3-D printer. The gun was fired six times before it broke.
    You mean that it broke after only 6 rounds,I bet nobody was holding it when the trigger was getting pulled,or somebody would have shrapnel in their face
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links