LaPierre's speech - Page 6

LaPierre's speech

This is a discussion on LaPierre's speech within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: LaPierre's speech

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Valid point sir, but now I revert to... "my sons got pretty much everything they needed..... but not always what they wanted." My sons were allowed to play "war", but the games did double duty as a training tool. Tough to substitute for parenting.
    Well, in the Newtown incident it appears the young man had plenty of access to weapons that looked a certain way.
    Given whatever social/psychological/developmental problems he already had, we might surmise ( wild guess that could be
    wrong) that if that nice semi-auto rifle had a barrel painted pink, a normal wooden stock with some smile face decals,
    and a tube feed, his fantasies may have gone in some other direction. If we are going to blame the video games we need
    to also look at the looks (not functionality) of what is available at the LGS. I bet the gang bangers wouldn't be so into
    guns if the barrels were painted pink. Of course they might be into more violence after getting teased (uh, I mean dissed) about their gender identity.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Appearance of inanimate objects do evoke emotions, and we all know that is true
    from the many times when we have bought such things as cars, trucks, tablets, or a business suit, or maybe when we bought a
    variety of shotty that sort of looked "tacticool" even though it functioned exactly as a plain Jane 870 with a long barrel.
    Somewhere around fifteen to twenty years ago, while I was in college, I took a class called Introduction to Communications. After all this time, there are a few points I remember from that class:
    1) Even in places like the Soviet Union, the people still had choices. The choices were restricted as hell, but they still had a choice.
    2) The first thing that an authoritarian regime does is control the media because without it, they couldn't control the country
    3) *This one is most relevant to this discussion*: Product manufacturers and other media moguls will try to convince you that (product) commercials have a tremendous impact in influencing the behavior of people. Yet, at the very same time, they denounce the idea that violent movies, music, video games, or even violence depicted on the nightly news will have ANY effect on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Did you even bother to read what I posted...twice! Obviously not.
    I did read it and was making MY point. I KNOW that you are not talking about LEGISLATING availability of video games. Please read with as much of an open mind as you are demanding of those who respond.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I did read it and was making MY point. I KNOW that you are not talking about LEGISLATING availability of video games. Please read with as much of an open mind as you are demanding of those who respond.
    I apologize if I misread your comment but this is what I was replying to:

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    How do you really know? What is to say that one day they won't just snap?

I have played violent Video Games since I was a kid (I am currently playing Borderlands 2 and it is VIOLENT!). I love slasher flicks, monster movies, action adventure films...
    I like to think I am a pretty well adjusted, civil person, but what happens when one day a neuron misfires and I start thinking I am a golden god who needs to cleanse the earth? You can not regulate the ability of an American to play the games they want or watch the LEGAL movies they want.
    I really think this comes more to parenting than anything else that is a controllable thing. Still and all, some people snap and how do you know when that "nice quiet guy that lived next door and was never a problem." will go nuts?
    In these discussions a lot is missed in tone and expression.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well, in the Newtown incident it appears the young man had plenty of access to weapons that looked a certain way.
    Given whatever social/psychological/developmental problems he already had, we might surmise ( wild guess that could be
    wrong) that if that nice semi-auto rifle had a barrel painted pink, a normal wooden stock with some smile face decals,
    and a tube feed, his fantasies may have gone in some other direction. If we are going to blame the video games we need
    to also look at the looks (not functionality) of what is available at the LGS. I bet the gang bangers wouldn't be so into
    guns if the barrels were painted pink. Of course they might be into more violence after getting teased (uh, I mean dissed) about their gender identity.
    ...and, your post is relative to parenting how?
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Re: LaPierre's speech

O
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Somewhere around fifteen to twenty years ago, while I was in college, I took a class called Introduction to Communications. After all this time, there are a few points I remember from that class:
    1) Even in places like the Soviet Union, the people still had choices. The choices were restricted as hell, but they still had a choice.
    2) The first thing that an authoritarian regime does is control the media because without it, they couldn't control the country
    3) *This one is most relevant to this discussion*: Product manufacturers and other media moguls will try to convince you that (product) commercials have a tremendous impact in influencing the behavior of people. Yet, at the very same time, they denounce the idea that violent movies, music, video games, or even violence depicted on the nightly news will have ANY effect on people.
    It it is often that I retreat to the Void to non-ponder and be free of the influences of the world - but I am weak man and I always come back to breath in the illusion, to make choices and to argue with fate.

What struck me most from LaPierre's speech was the failure to communicate a sense of shame. If there was only one thing I learned from my Father, it would be the necessity to have a sense of shame. There can be nothing worse for a child that is loved than those words, "I am ashamed of you."

Often enough it would have been guilt by association that brought on the shame. I didn't do it but I was there and this was evidence enough for my Father, the benevolent dictator, the neighborhood watchman, the keeper of the family and the Shepherd of the society, the only pastor in a two church and one bar town serving both the UMC and UCC.

It would serve history well and it would serve our Republic well if we can come to the floor with a ponderance of shame and gratitude. Even a prodigal Amendment can find salvation.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    Hopyard likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    ...and, your post is relative to parenting how?
    The thread title is "LaPierre's Speech" Why do you think a post in this thread needs to be about parenting?
    Anyway, it was if you think carefully about what the message is. The appearance of guns, their design,
    and what design a child is exposed to, will make a difference to how that child thinks--- exactly as with movies, games,
    and news. I discussed this with a specific example earlier in this thread I think, but perhaps elsewhere here--- it has been busy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I apologize if I misread your comment but this is what I was replying to:

In these discussions a lot is missed in tone and expression.
    Hard to interpret text. I was not saying that you said to regulate it, just that regulating it will not work.

In short, you can say "Thou shall not kill" but people still kill. You can remove every facet of agression and violence from america and some nut job will go on a rampage anyway.

I did like the statement that LaPierre made about needing a good guy with a gun to combat a bad guy with a gun.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links