Jack Reacher

This is a discussion on Jack Reacher within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know there were previous threads, but the movie came out today. I haven't read any of the books. I am a fan of movies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher

I know there were previous threads, but the movie came out today. I haven't read any of the books. I am a fan of movies with political thrillers and crime dramas being among my favorites.

The opening minutes consisted of a back and forth type of sequence which involved a reloading bench, and I immediately thought of you fine folks. There was also some Army vs. USMC dialogue, which I'm sure many here would find funny.

Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher was a blend between "The Man with No Name" and "GySgt Bob Lee Swagger," which is another series I haven't read. Robert Duvall played an old gunny in this film, and he was good as usual.

Tom Cruise is a better actor than most men seem to give him credit for. I found the film to be quite entertaining, but it is kind of right up my alley. Better than I thought it would be.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good actor, yes. Beyond that, I don't know.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good actor, yes. Beyond that, I don't know.
    I certainly agree with that. It just seems like a lot of men who want to seem "tough" dismiss him as a bad actor.

He was the main character in a Scorsese film, Kubrick film, Michael Mann film, and arguably the main character of an ensemble cast in a P.T. Anderson picture. That's four of my five favorite directors ever. They obviously know what they're doing.

Then you have the Tony Scott/Spielberg blockbusters and many others to round out a pretty decent body of work.

Actors are artists; artists of generally pretty loony. I still like movies, music, art, etc.

Having read most of the Reacher novels,I already have a mental image of him, and Tom Cruise doesn't fit,no matter how good an actor he is. I enjoy most Cruise flicks, but if the character is supposed to be 6'5",250lbs, Cruise doesn't work.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I really enjoy the books. I also like Tom Cruise. However, the Jack Reacher character is 6'5" 220 or so, and he is portrayed to be a very smart tough guy. Nothing against Mr Cruise, but he's just 5'7" maybe 190 I think, making it a miss-match in my brain. Either way I'll see it.

<edit> ^^^ Mulle beat me to it!
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I really enjoy the books. I also like Tom Cruise. However, the Jack Reacher character is 6'5" 220 or so, and he is portrayed to be a very smart tough guy. Nothing against Mr Cruise, but he's just 5'7" maybe 190 I think, making it a miss-match in my brain. Either way I'll see it.

<edit> ^^^ Mulle beat me to it!
    190? You are being generous.hes probably 5'6",160lbs
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Yep, he was way wrong for the role. I've read a few of the books - couldn't say what ones - but Tom Cruise is an below average height person....when I saw they had cast him for Jack Reacher I was picturing what kind of midgets they might cast for every other part - could be a real funny movie.....

Or else maybe some perspective tricks like in Lord of the Rings? Who knows.... I don't think I'll be finding out. (unless it shows up on Netflix instant)

Austin

VIP Member
    I'll watch it out of curiosity. Cruise may be a "good" actor but, I always have touble warming up to any of his movies.

Even "A Few Good Men", which I really like, is more because of Jack than Tom.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Oh.............. So, Sad, Too Bad........ After the NRA came out and 'called out' the Media/Movie/Video Game Progressive (afterall, Progressive = Moving 'Forward', No?) complex as glorifying Gun Violence.............. Guess What!!!!?

Tom Cruise’s Jack Reacher Movie Postponed After Shooting - NewsOXY

I have read one Jack Reacher book. They made the bad guys out to be" evil Christians" and that turned me off. I doubt I will see the movie or read any more of the books.

I am more than a little bit worried about some of you fellas comment on Tom's stats…
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    He's one of my favorite actors as well. He's also a complete nut, otherwise.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Jack Reacher

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Having read most of the Reacher novels,I already have a mental image of him, and Tom Cruise doesn't fit,no matter how good an actor he is. I enjoy most Cruise flicks, but if the character is supposed to be 6'5",250lbs, Cruise doesn't work.
    That was my initial thought as well when I first saw the preview. I've read all the Reacher books and Cruise is obviously not the hulk of a man Lee Child describes. Kind of a bummer but I'll probably see it anyway. Maybe he "acts" tall.
    Kimberpackn likes this.

I've read all the books and Cruise is not in my minds eye as to the character. Beside, he's a wacko. I wouldn't pay money that would go to him or Hollywood. If I want to see it, I'll wait until its on Netflix.

Tom Cruise is good...just haven't figured out what he is good for yet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links