18" of snow and fun

This is a discussion on 18" of snow and fun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not really. Looking out this morning we got a lot of snow over night. After snow blowing for about an hour I got a call ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 18" of snow and fun

Lead Moderator

18" of snow and fun

Not really. Looking out this morning we got a lot of snow over night. After snow blowing for about an hour I got a call from my dad. He was snowed in, couldn't get the snowblower running and had 1/2 a tree accross his driveway. Also they are without power due to the heavy snowfall dropping tree limbs all over the area.
    After loading my snowblower and the chainsaw I headed over to help. Another hour of fun in the snow and we had his area clear. Luckily he has a gas fireplace to heat the house or I would have house guests. All the recent snow was really wet and many up here are without power.
    We had one tree fall , I'm hoping no more come down, although several are bowed over from the snow load.
    QKShooter and goldshellback like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Glad that you were able to get your Dad cleared. That heavy wet snow can cause some huge problems.
    We just got a dusting so far but some constantly blowing winds and some sporadic wind gusts.
    Nothing worth talking about on this end as far as snow accumulation.
    Tomorrow I'm going to set up this little Teton Sports lightweight tent in the backyard and test out my new Wiggy's sleeping bag for warmth.
    The "LOW" for Saturday night is going to be 23 F.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That'll be a good test, QKS. They are rated to 20, correct? Have fun!

Hope ya'll OK in MI, Rocky. Not fun to lose tress and power at all. Maybe you'll get some wind to shake it off.

VIP Member
    Glad everyone is ok, watching the weather report tonight was interesting, there was heavy snow in West Virginia and western Virginia while there was rain in northern Maine. Seems there was a low sucking up warm moist air from the Gulf Stream carrying it up north and unloading rain but as it came around the backside of the low it cooled and became snow, ain’t Ma Nature interesting?
    QKShooter likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I have the snow blower all gassed up & ready to roll and move all of the doggone white stuff out of the way but, the weather is not cooperating.
    Rocky is hogging up all of the snow!

Administrator
    Rocky is out cutting pathways through 18" of snow and turning downed trees into firewood and QK is installing a new dishwasher and helping the Mrs. bake Christmas cookies tomorrow.
    I'd trade places w/ Rocky in a minute.

That'll be a good test, QKS. They are rated to 20, correct? <~~~ I think I could push it somewhat lower than that though.
    This will be my first bag that isn't a down bag.

I got this tent that came with the cot that I bought. It's originally intended to be a cot topper tent. I'll see how it does directly on the ground. Mrs. QK doesn't want to "rough it" even in the dadblamed backyard so I'm taking the dog out with me. She is getting too old for me to take her for any real outing or camping. (the dog...not the Wife)
    But, the backyard will bring back some fond, past memories for her. (hopefully)

Whoops! I'm hijacking Rockys thread. I had better cut it out. OUCH! Stop it Rocky!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    QK, You've got my wheels turning. Maybe a Saturday camp out with the kids.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    Rockys thread just got me thinking about Winter in general. I really love being outside in Winter. We don't get any really deep snow here anymore. Not like we used to anyway.

THE only snow we get down here is usually compressed into kilos,but we get it year round
    QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Used to live in the snow belt - don't miss it at all.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Lead Moderator
    Well, we're missing the snow here in Maryland, but... The wind has been amazing this morning. About a half hour ago I caught a movement on my deck, and there was a small flock of little song birds, all puffed up from the cold, walking across the deck. Looks like an inside day!
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

helping the Mrs. bake Christmas cookies
    Rocky would help!
    QKShooter likes this.

I miss snow :(
    And my bears :(
    And my mountains :(
    And the cold :(
    And the fact I lived in the middle of nowhere :(
    oneshot likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

My part of West Virginia, the Tri-State area where we touch Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky, had a dusting with flurries. We don't expect much more, but Mother Nature may have other plans to make the Weather Channel people look foolish.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    We're on the other side of WV touching MD and VA. The wind is gusting to 60 mph (according to the local news station) and it's pretty cold...36 degrees.

Rocky, I hope you don't get anymore damage up there. Glad you were able to get to your Dad's and help out. It's nice to live close.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links