First hunting experience!!!!

This is a discussion on First hunting experience!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Pythius I was telling my sister that most folks in the country view deer as NYers view pigeons and rats. :) Not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: First hunting experience!!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I was telling my sister that most folks in the country view deer as NYers view pigeons and rats. :)
    Not quite, but we do view them as a natural resource, similar to corn, apples or trees (for firewood). I spend a lot of time and money making the deer on my farm happy by adding additional cover and food sources for them to eat. In return they provide me and sometimes a friend or two with a freezer full of meat to feed our families.

ETA: Another tip for busting brush is to get a pair of huning pants a size too large and then when you hunt wear a pair of sweat pants underneath them. The sweatpants will keep you warm AND they will really help prevent briars from getting through to your legs.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Check the hunting regulations in your area. Where I used to hunt rabbits, we were limited to 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. In fact, we had to have the tube plugged so it would only hold two rounds. The only time you could remove the plug was when you were deer hunting.

Of course, now I use a dbl bbl, so I only have two rounds anyway.
    Only Regs I've ever seen that limited you to 2+1 was when you were hunting Migratory birds like Dove/Ducks/Geese.
    But like he said before you trust somebody you go hunting with it is not only your responsibility to know the regulations but also get a hunting license,you did get a hunting license right?Not to mention in just about every State I can think of under a certain age you are required to take a Hunter Safety course.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wear ear pro when I dove hunt. I make my daughter wear it when I take her squirrel or deer hunting. Look into the Howard Leight Impact Sports. They are electronic so you can talk normally and hear everything but the cancel out the gunshot. I absolutely love mine. If you adjust them correctly they don't interfere with mounting the shotgun to your shoulder for the shot. It might take a couple tries to get it where you want it.

Cabela's: Howard Leight Impact™ Sport Earmuff
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    So today, I went hunting for the first time in my life.
    Is that you on the left in the photo??
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Cool!!

Hunting is a natural act, that has been slowly removed from our way of life.
    My 4 kids have went and gutted more than a few deer when I've shot them here at home.
    My oldest son got a doe when he was 13, but has helped gut them as early as 8.
    Same with my two daughters. The youngest child (8) was a little more tham squemish this year when he saw his 17 yr. old sis and me proceed to field dress my 6 pt this last fall.
    He wanted to come out to the woods to be a part of it, but quickly changed his mind.

Glad you had fun hunting, keep it up as there is nothing quite like it in my book.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Field dressing the rendered game is just part of the deal of hunting. Yep, it's gross, and the exposed innards of mammals stink (even us humans - ask your doc), but once you've done it a few times, you can do it quickly and you get used to it.. I'm a big fan of dressing game out before heading back to the car.
    Yes, it stinks and all, but when you are deer hunting and freezing your butt off and you can't feel your fingers, warming your hands up inside the deer for a few minutes makes it much easier to dress - you get some dexterity back. Sounds gross, but the warmth feels great.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So you attempted mass murder of innocent 2-yr-old bunnies with an automatic assault shotgun, huh? Good for you. Some of my best hunting memories are the family rabbit hunts in TN and listening to the beagles baying. Great times. Alas we all grew too old for that now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Cool!!

Hunting is a natural act, that has been slowly removed from our way of life.
    My 4 kids have went and gutted more than a few deer when I've shot them here at home.
    My oldest son got a doe when he was 13, but has helped gut them as early as 8.
    Same with my two daughters. The youngest child (8) was a little more tham squemish this year when he saw his 17 yr. old sis and me proceed to field dress my 6 pt this last fall.
    He wanted to come out to the woods to be a part of it, but quickly changed his mind.

Glad you had fun hunting, keep it up as there is nothing quite like it in my book.
    I had my 7 yo come out and help me "find" my deer last week. I pretended I couldn't find the blood trail and told him to go look by "that tree over there". He kept saying "Nothing dad, nothing." and then "DAD I FOUND IT DAD!!! IT"S RIGHT HERE, RIGHT HERE!!!". I got to show him a blood trail and then we had a lesson on anatomy that you just can't get in a classroom.

He was able to look at (and poke with a stick ) a heart, lungs, liver and a stomach. It was a neat experience for him.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Not a hunter now, but was as a kid. These posts brought back warm memories.

Cotton jeans should not be worn in the cold and wet. Cotton does NOT retain heat when wet. Wool will retain heat when wet, and I assume some modern synthetics will also. Proper clothing will make your future hunts much more fun, so the ideas on layering and brush pants and jackets sound great. To be honest, I think I quit hunting when I was sitting in goose blinds at 10 below in rain and snow soaking wet with my gun frozen to my miserable mitts.

Glad you had fun! Keep it up. My French Daughter-in-Law loves rabbit, BTW. There are some great recipes floating around.

I'm hoping to do a little rabbit hunting myself in the next month or so. My wife makes a mean Moroccan dish with rabbit. I will also be my first hunt. I've been shooting on and off since I was a kid but my dad had given up on hunting before I was born so unfortunately it was never part of my childhood. It's been something I've been meaning to do for a long time but something else always seems to get in the way (work, home renovations, etc., etc.) I think I will make it a priority in the new year as I become more and more interested in self-sufficiency. I want some experience doing it so that I know I can if I need to. Anyway...congrats on your first hunt! Sounds like it was a good time.

Glad you had a good time. Don't let anyone give you grief about ear protection. Guys I used to work with gave me a hard time about wearing plugs and muffs until they went to Cabela's and got a free hearing test. The deaf-er one tried out a pair of hearing aids and was stunned at what he wasn't hearing on a daily basis. He was repeatedly startled by the store announcements.
    Pythius likes this.

As for the brush, chaps that are for upland bird hunting are an alternative. We have been rabbit hunting for a long while now (my 1st hunting experience also). My husband almost lost me when he rolled the rabbit with his 20ga. I wasn't expecting it as we were really pheasant hunting. Sometimes the cute, fuzzy things are harder to begin hunting with. Birds are easier to see killed and to clean if you're new to hunting (at least for me and my female friends). We now use game shears and after skinning the rabbit, clip off the front legs and the back legs, leaving the "gut tube/tummy" unopened. Nothing stinkier than rabbit innards! I've now graduated to deer, elk, antelope etc. It can be hard the first time you shoot a larger game animal but the respect for the animal and its gift (your sustenance) is very special for the hunter. Enjoy your journey!
    Last edited by surefire7; December 24th, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Rock and Glock and Pythius like this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So you attempted mass murder of innocent 2-yr-old bunnies with an automatic assault shotgun....
    semi-auto.

no pistol grip. no foldable stock. no threaded barrel. no permit required to own in New York State.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Is that you on the left in the photo??
    actually, Im the guy on the right.

my friend is like 5' 2".

Senior Moderator
    Most fun I ever had was hunting with a Saiga shotgun. it had a pistol grip. a foldable stock. a threaded barrel and even 10 round detachable magazines.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links