First hunting experience!!!!

This is a discussion on First hunting experience!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So today, I went hunting for the first time in my life. We went hunting for cottontail rabbits with semi-auto 20 gauge shotguns. My friend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: First hunting experience!!!!

So today, I went hunting for the first time in my life.

We went hunting for cottontail rabbits with semi-auto 20 gauge shotguns.

My friend thought the gun only held 3 rounds, but I showed him that it held 5 with one in the chamber.

We walked through woods, through thick brush and lots of thorny bushes which made me miserable, as I was wearing jeans and a wool coat.

Basically we tried to flush out bunnies by stomping on piles of logs and down trees. We saw maybe 6 bunnies run away, I fired at one twice, but my friend is the only one who got one.

I may have been able to hit the bunny I was shooting at, but I did NOT want to be pointing my gun in any direction near my friend, so I hesitated a few seconds. But I know I did the right thing.

I enjoyed shooting the shotguns. Last time I fired a shotgun was in 1994, and I was wearing no ear protection. I went deaf for like 30 minutes. This time I wore ear protection and I was fine, even though my friend laughed at me for wanting to protect my ears. Whatever bro...

It was a little gross seeing him skin and gut the bunny, as I had never seen such a thing before. But I didn't get sick or anything. But I don't know if I can do that.

Next time, we may go squirrel hunting with my 10/22. He laughed at me when I told him I thought I could hunt for rabbits with a .22. When flushing them out in the woods, I understand why.

But I had a good time. Now I want a shotgun. :)

Keep up the safe hunting. Just remember to think of the directions that you can and can't shoot in advance, before something jumps out while you're hunting with someone else. Make a certain "slice of the pie" off limits to even pointing the shotgun in the direction of your friends. That's what I do and I've yet to hurt anyone. Just a thought. Glad you had a good time.

Someone's hooked.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Alright! Glad you enjoyed the experienced. I trust it will grow on you as you learn.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well, congratulations on your first hunt! You did well to keep safety in mind all the time. However, I question your friend's competence if he didn't know his gun's capacity.

A coupla things I can suggest, in case you go hunting again. First - jeans are about the LAST thing I would wear while hunting in the Northeast a) after Labor Day, b) if I have to tramp through any sort of heavy brush that's thick, thorny or wet. You'd be better off with a fine gabardine from Barney's than jeans in those conditions. Jeans offer almost no protection from cold, from wet, or from brush. Find a pair of Carhartt's, or some 5.11s, or get some bona fide brush pants from Orvis, Cabela's or Bass Pro.

With 3+ decades up upland hunting under my belt, the only time I ever needed earpro was when two of us were shooting pigeons from a small boat and the muzzles were swung overhead. Especially with a 20 gauge - my standard gun for over 20 years - the muzzle is far enough away and the shots are infrequent. Skeet shooting with the same gun, different story.

Hunting rabbits with a .22 is hardly out of the question, it's just a different type of hunting. If you are near apple, crabapple or other fruit trees or even a field of rye grass. hunting in late afternoon to near dusk with a scoped .22 presents plenty of stationary targets. Just find that big black eye and aim for that. Hunting over beagles or flushing them is a vastly different game for which a shotgun is the preferred weapon.

Field dressing the rendered game is just part of the deal of hunting. Yep, it's gross, and the exposed innards of mammals stink (even us humans - ask your doc), but once you've done it a few times, you can do it quickly and you get used to it.. I'm a big fan of dressing game out before heading back to the car.

I hope you get to taste some of the fruits of your efforts... makes it all worth while.
    glockman10mm and atctimmy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Check the hunting regulations in your area. Where I used to hunt rabbits, we were limited to 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. In fact, we had to have the tube plugged so it would only hold two rounds. The only time you could remove the plug was when you were deer hunting.

Of course, now I use a dbl bbl, so I only have two rounds anyway.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

he told me the 3-round regulation is for bird hunting, in New York State.

but yes, it is quite funny that I...Mr. Gun-novice, showed this guy who's been hunting all his life that his shotgun actually held 5 plus one in the chamber. But I was proud to teach him something. :)
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Congrats. Sounds like you had fun even if it wasn't all peaches and cream.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Rabbits make good gumbo!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Congrats. Sounds like you had fun even if it wasn't all peaches and cream.
    im glad that the shotgun was not was not as loud as I remembered, and much easier to control.

the one I shot in 1994 kicked up high, and just felt like a cannon.

the one I shot today, was much easier to control and much more fun. i shot it say....12 times...and don't have a single bruise. :)

will i ever become comfortable skinny & gutting a rabbit by myself? maybe.

but for now, id rather just hunt them and give them to my friend..as he will eat them

Good for you. I have never hunted, but it is something I would like to try eventually. Unfortunately for me, I come from a family that adores animals, so hunting was never part of our life.
    I do hope the situation arises one day for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY View Post
    Good for you. I have never hunted, but it is something I would like to try eventually. Unfortunately for me, I come from a family that adores animals, so hunting was never part of our life.
    I do hope the situation arises one day for me though.
    I'll never hunt deer. They are just too graceful and lovely.

Turkey? maybe.

squirel? maybe.

i do have to say though that seeing how quicky the bunny died, did make it feel not soo bad.

if it has suffered..that would have really sucked.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I'll never hunt deer. They are just too graceful and lovely.

Turkey? maybe.

squirel? maybe.

i do have to say though that seeing how quicky the bunny died, did make it feel not soo bad.

if it has suffered..that would have really sucked.
    Enjoyed reading the hunting story. Hunting is just a very basic, simple pleasure. But like you I don't want to see animals suffer, even if it's a pest squirrel that is trying to make a home in my attic. They are just doing what they do.

As for your opinion regarding deer - I just have to say, in my wooded neighborhood deer run all over the place. They eat my wife's flowers and anything pretty that we try to grow. I have to avoid them when I drive to work in the morning and coming home at night. We live in a suburb of Atlanta so it would be really poor form if I took out one of my 1894's and thinned the herd. So, long story short - beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :) Dunno why, I just had to say that. Probably due to my frustration that there's nothing I can do except try to shoo them away.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Enjoyed reading the hunting story. Hunting is just a very basic, simple pleasure. But like you I don't want to see animals suffer, even if it's a pest squirrel that is trying to make a home in my attic. They are just doing what they do.

As for your opinion regarding deer - I just have to say, in my wooded neighborhood deer run all over the place. They eat my wife's flowers and anything pretty that we try to grow. I have to avoid them when I drive to work in the morning and coming home at night. We live in a suburb of Atlanta so it would be really poor form if I took out one of my 1894's and thinned the herd. So, long story short - beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :) Dunno why, I just had to say that. Probably due to my frustration that there's nothing I can do except try to shoo them away.
    I was telling my sister that most folks in the country view deer as NYers view pigeons and rats. :)
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I was telling my sister that most folks in the country view deer as NYers view pigeons and rats. :)
    Not really , we can appreciate the grace and beauty of an animal and still hunt it. The sight of ducks settling into a decoy spead, watching a hawk or eagle hunting for its food or just the chatter of a squirrel can make my day. For most it isn't about killing an animal that brings us to the woods, but the joy of nature. Watching a sunrise or sunset , seeing all sorts of animals and immersing ones self into their world.
    Also the comradarie and tradition of hunting with old friends and family. Often I see relatives more on hunting trips that otherwise.
    mprp, Rock and Glock and HotGuns like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

First off I'm glad you enjoyed the hunt! Ive enjoyed the same for going on 50 years. Don't kiss off the 22 rifle for bunny hunting yet! In the early season they seem to hold a little longer, giving you a quick shot at them. the other thing I do is when they jump and run freeze, and they will stop after about 10 yds giving you a quick opportunity for a shot. And lastly if you don't have brush pants, take an old pair of pants and turn them inside out, you can paint the legs with flexible latex paint, this will repel water, wind, and briars to some extent. Good luck, DR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links