Holiday Traditions?

This is a discussion on Holiday Traditions? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What's everyones Holiday Traditions? Anything new this year or the same ol? I moved my wife and daughter down to Charleston,SC so we have no ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 3 Post By RKflorida
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By Maximpactguns
  • 1 Post By JDE101
  • 2 Post By Doodle
  • 2 Post By RAL
  • 2 Post By DroidGeorge
  • 3 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 2 Post By fail_187
  • 2 Post By surefire7
  • 3 Post By Grinder

Thread: Holiday Traditions?

Holiday Traditions?

What's everyones Holiday Traditions? Anything new this year or the same ol? I moved my wife and daughter down to Charleston,SC so we have no family down here which changed the holidays for us this year. But what is everyone else doing? Stayin home? Traveling? I'm watchin a Christmas Story like i always do every year.

2. Remove Ads

Staying home. It has become our tradition in our old years to do as little as possible and ALWAYS stay out of holiday traffic.
    surefire7, pistola and fail_187 like this.

VIP Member
    Went to church this morning, stopped off to see my Mom in the Nursing home, just had a little brunch with my husband and son and are getting ready to go to my sister's house fro her Christmas party. Then, this evening we're having a Turkey dinner at a friend's house.

Every year it's something different because the kids come and go.

Merry Christmas whatever you're doing! It's all good.
    fail_187 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Awesome I'm glad everyone is having fun and being safe!!! Turkey sounds awesome right now Jean!!! I'm honestly kinda jealous LOL!!! My little one was really into it this year being 3 so it was a blast watching her open her presents this mornin :)
    Jeanlouise and fail_187 like this.

Most of the family use to gather at my sister-in-laws house on Christmas Eve to eat and exchange presents, then we'd have our own present exchange at our individual homes on Christmas morning when the kids were younger. Once the kids grew up and had families of their own, we still gathered at my sister-in-law's house on Christmas Eve. This year was a bit different, though. My mother-in-law passed away unexpectedly back in August. My sister-in-law was extremely close to her mother, and has not taken her death well at all! It has been difficult for my wife, but she has handled it much better than her sister. We had Thanksgiving dinner at our house as a result, even though no one was in a real festive mood. The same last night. My wife did an excellant job of decorating the house and we had the family that lives in the area over to our house to eat and exchange presents. Even though it was not quite as festive as in past years, it turned out a whole lot better than I had originally envisioned. So, hopefully, we are on the way to establishing a whole new set of family traditions. I am now the oldest member of our immediate family, so now a Christmas trip to grandma and grandpa's house is to mine. Hopefully, next year will be a whole lot better!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Unfortunately I got called to CO to work this year but the view ain't so bad... I took this picture a couple of days ago.
    Attached Images
    fail_187 and Jeanlouise like this.

RAL
    Our sons and their wives had to work before and after Christmas day - we convinced them to stay home since they live too far away. We've had a quiet day. We'll get together later.

I got to visit the hospital with one of my therapy dogs. It's my favorite part of Christmas. No one wants to be in the hospital on Christmas day so Santa Paws and I visit. Everyone hears us coming down the hall because there is a big jingle bell collar. There is also a doggie Santa get-up complete with Santa hat and beard. We get to bring a smile and some laughter to the patients, their family & friends, and the hospital staff. That visit always brightens my Christmas day. Depending on how many patients are in the hospital, most years we then hit one or two nursing homes. This year we just did the four floors at the hospital. It took us all afternoon. Lots of patients this year.

The best part of Christmas is giving comfort and a smile to someone else!
    Jeanlouise and JDE101 like this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Awesome I'm glad everyone is having fun and being safe!!! Turkey sounds awesome right now Jean!!! I'm honestly kinda jealous LOL!!! My little one was really into it this year being 3 so it was a blast watching her open her presents this mornin :)
    The very best part of Christmas is having little kids in the house. Enjoy your daughter, she' s at a great age!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Re: Holiday Traditions?

Went to the ER at 7am. Sat with a patient that had a stoke last night for a couple of hours before getting her to ICU because her daughter wouldn't come and see her and had to make sure she didn't swallow her tongue.
    Saw about a dozen babies that parents thought were sick enough to drag them out in the rain- they weren't. Saw another dozen adults for the same reason. Saw another half a dozen people looking to score some pain pills.
    About 2pm the rain changed to sleet and then to snow. That started the ambulances arriving with motor vehicle accidents.
    Took two ladies to labor and delivery.
    Free lunch on the hospital - ham, corn, green beans and pecan pie.
    A few more walk ins and 7pm - liberation! And a fun filled drive through the iced streets. Until 7am tomorrow morning when we do it all again.
    But for the next hour sitting in the back yard patio, watching the snow fall and sipping on a glass of eggnog.
    It was a good day.

George
    RAL and Jeanlouise like this.
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidGeorge View Post
    Went to the ER at 7am. Sat with a patient that had a stoke last night for a couple of hours before getting her to ICU because her daughter wouldn't come and see her and had to make sure she didn't swallow her tongue.
    Saw about a dozen babies that parents thought were sick enough to drag them out in the rain- they weren't. Saw another dozen adults for the same reason. Saw another half a dozen people looking to score some pain pills.
    About 2pm the rain changed to sleet and then to snow. That started the ambulances arriving with motor vehicle accidents.
    Took two ladies to labor and delivery.
    Free lunch on the hospital - ham, corn, green beans and pecan pie.
    A few more walk ins and 7pm - liberation! And a fun filled drive through the iced streets. Until 7am tomorrow morning when we do it all again.
    But for the next hour sitting in the back yard patio, watching the snow fall and sipping on a glass of eggnog.
    It was a good day.

George
    The free holiday meal at the hospital makes it all worth it.

I hope tomorrow is quiet!

My Christmas traditions vary, my life has changed a bit over the last decade and I really never know what I will be doing or where I may be going.

The only constient thing is giving thanks to God for the gift of His son, Jesus Christ, the Light of the World. I say this not to sound preachy or medieval evangelical on everyone, it's just that I feel Christmas is all about Christ. Why would we have the celebration otherwise? It could be called Just-another-day-mas.

Trusting that everyone did indeed have a good Christmas this year (2012) and looking forward to a good 2013 Christmas.
    RAL, fail_187 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Normally we travel to my Grandmas for Christmas but this year I was fortunate enough to get to spend it with my 7 year old niece.
    Her and my sister came up on Sunday and she spent the night while my sister continued to get ready for the big day. It was a great experience to see the joy and innocence in her eyes! She was so worried santa would not know she was at nanny and pappys so uncle Jared (me) had to do a lot of reassuring and even after that we still made a banner to put on the porch.. so santa would know for certain!

One thing I would like to say is that this Christmas was sort of bittersweet. I lost a good friend over the summer in a car accident that alcohol was involved in, 22 years young. I found myself saying little prayers throughout the day, praying that the good lord and Jesus be with those families who are less fortunate and are unable to spend them with their love ones, I also pray that those loved ones (including everyone involved in the recent tragedy's) could feel the presence of their mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, friends, all of those above. I know that I am blessed with a few angels looking down on me, and I know the rest of the world is too.

Happy holidays!

Thank you to all our service men and women, past and present for making our freedom possible from my family to yours!

-jared
    JoJoGunn and Jeanlouise like this.

We watch "Its a Wonderful Life", good message in there. Spend time with loved ones, the best presents aren't material things I've learned as I get older.
    JoJoGunn and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Fail_187, sorry about your friend's passing.

We usually celebrate Christmas traditions one week early or one week late. It depends on who can get off of work to travel. This year, we had Christmas Eve here with my side of the family. We are Cuban and the food was out of this world. Explaining how delicious it was would do it no justice. We do the usual gift exchanges, white elephant gifts, karaoke, dancing and lots of goofing off. This coming Saturday, we will celebrate with my wife's side of the family because that's the only time they can all fly down at the same time. It's kind of weird to do this one week late, but at least we all get together, which is what really matters. They spend a fortune of gift giving. I've never seen anything like it. I expect a lot of gun accessories this year. lol Either way, I'm usually the one who reminds everyone what Christmas is really all about. These last four years have been humbling and I have never been so thankful for what I have.
    Jeanlouise, JoJoGunn and fail_187 like this.

Links