Hanging up my guns

This is a discussion on Hanging up my guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The steroids will reduce the swelling in the inflamed area and help take pressure off the nerves. Pain meds will help you tolerate everything until ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hanging up my guns

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    The steroids will reduce the swelling in the inflamed area and help take pressure off the nerves. Pain meds will help you tolerate everything until the steroids take effect. Muscle relaxers will allow the muscles being triggered by the nerves to stop their spasms. Now mind you, all of those are treating the symptoms.

The root cause is a structural issue. Concur on a chiropractor to realign the spinal column to combat future issues. Massage therapy can also help. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

2. Remove Ads

That's terrible! If someone has not experience pain of that nature, they don't have to much sympathy. I know because I was that way until I "experienced" it.

PS: If you think it would help, I would be willing to lighten your load. Hy-Cap Mags, Ammo, Guns. If so PM me, some people might try and take advantage of your situation.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

A day without shooting is like a day without sunshine. Take the meds, listen to the doctors and you'll be back hitting on all cylinders soon.

Administrator
    If you are able to do this....Lay flat on your back for three days while you are taking your three medications. Only get up to use the bathroom. Don't do anything else.
    And you will very likely get rid of your problem quicker than in two weeks. It may initially seem like you're losing/wasting 3 Days but, you will actually be gaining over a week of feeling much better.

I have the same thing you have and that is what my Doc told me to do. Not everybody can do that AKA folks have important life responsibilities but, if it is at all possible for you to do that - try it and you'll feel like a new man on the 4th day.

Then just take it easy for a while with regard to lifting...etc.

I have been successfully avoiding a back operation for about 10 years now. I refuse to go in for a back operation. And I was told that I HAD TO HAVE ONE over a decade ago.

90+ % of the time I am just fine AKA Hiking, camping, running the dog, working outdoors etc.

Avoid that operation at all costs unless the wheelchair is your only other option. Do not get pushed into surgery.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Also, when you're laying flat on your back in bed, put a couple of pillows under your knees to take the pressure off your lower back.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; December 26th, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: forgot the apostrophe
    QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I am going to through this out to you to think about, I had a lot of go arounds with back problems and one day the back really went out the hub caps on my car were taller than I was. Well the types of pain killers that they give do not play well with heart meds so I tried a chiropractor and found out the my hip was a 1 and 3/4 out of line and that was causing the problems went twice a week for 3 weeks and got the problems under control. I know there a lot of jokes about them but it but it maybe a answer just a thought hope you get better soon.

Be safe and get well soon...I think you made a good decision. Pain meds could cloud your judgement.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    A voice from the 70's......enjoy the meds and take the ride.

Take care, follow your orders, things will come around. The world will be there waiting......
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    And btw....that was a spooky tag line. Too definite. Take it from an aging dingbat that won't quit; it'll get better.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yes... follow doctor's orders and get all the rest you can. Rest always worked best for me and my back ailments. Good Luck and get well soon.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your back pain. Its no fun, I've been there too. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

God bless,
    DCG

Hey archer - I've been there. Awful, awful sciatic nerve pain for close to a year. Reached the point where it took me over a half an hour to get out of bed in the morning. (Humorous flashback - me on the floor, trying to find a pain-free position, 4 dogs on the bed - what's wrong with this picture?) Three epidurals, narcotics for pain for 3 months, couldn't drive, couldn't work. Realized I'm a bad candidate for getting addicted to morphine - couldn't figure out which I hated worse, the pain or the mental fuzziness. Drugs didn't make the pain go away, they made me just stop caring.

The good news is that it all got better. Surgery helped, but unfortunately one of those statistically rare things happened and the surgical site got infected long after the surgery. Another protracted recovery got me close enough to 100% again, and I present myself as living proof. So take some comfort in that a cure may be around the next bend.

So keep the faith, brother. We've got your back, prayer- and support-wise. Hope your story has as good an outcome as mine!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    A couple of folks have spoken of getting flat on your back. I've had the opposite advice and sometimes it worked. I was told to put a pillow under my stomach and lie on my stomach. The theory was that this opened the intervertebral spaces slightly and relieved pressure on the nerves.

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. As someone who was once wheeled to his car from the office prone on top of
    a garbage can with wheels, and as someone who then crawled from the car they managed to stuff me into, all fours up a driveway through the house to the bedroom, and left on the floor ---by which time of course I needed to go someplace and do something quite impossible--- I know what you are going through.

I have not had a back problem in the 20 years since that horrid experience. I keep plenty of cushioning under my heels, and
    I get plenty of exercise to where I now can kick an opponent's head off-- very flexible especially for a Genuine Old Dude.

Good luck. Know, believe, it really does get better.

Take your pills and try to sleep.

As for loathing going to docs, there is an upside. All that pain is proof you are still alive.
    Last edited by Hopyard; December 27th, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    gasmitty and msgt/ret like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Good idea to lay on your stomach with a pillow; anything to take the pressure off. Did the doctor tell you to put ice on it?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Sometimes my back pain gets flared up. I sleep on my side with my knees pulled up and a pillow btw my legs to relieve the pressure off my lower back. It seems t o keep my backbone straighter around my hip. Everyone hurts in different spots. Another thing that helped me was getting my wallet out of my back pocket and moved t to my front pocket. A messed up back is no fun.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links