So Much For Obamacare Will Have No Effect On Our Military

This is a discussion on So Much For Obamacare Will Have No Effect On Our Military within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu Gravy train.................look, very seldom I get ticked off at a comment and even rarer I talk about my military service but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: So Much For Obamacare Will Have No Effect On Our Military

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Gravy train.................look, very seldom I get ticked off at a comment and even rarer I talk about my military service but I and my fellow veterans are not on a "gravy train". These are called benefits, not entitlements, not handouts.
    There is a world of difference with folks taking free money and food for ever because they don't want to get a job and folks that have earned it.

I do agree that the miltary budget needs to be slashed. But sir, don't you ever disrespect veterans agian by insuating they are getting handouts. FYI I as well as many other veterans are disabled to a certain degree from wounds suffered in combat. Many of us on multiple occasions.. I do not feel like I am on a gravy train.
    Thanks for your service SUNTZU

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You mean all you have to do to get on the "gravy train" is to voluntarily leave your family for years at a time and spend it in some hell hole surrounded by people who want to kill me and on a daily basis willingly run towards gunfire? What a sweet deal...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    mermites!
    Couldn't think of that name this morning to save my life!!
    suntzu likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I am we'll aware of that. You call it what you want, I'll continue to call it Obamacare as do most Americans.
    post was to doctor bob. I call it Obama Care as well.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    There are many other things promised at enlistment and on retirement. One that I paid for, a monthly $155 deduction from my retirement check for the Survivors Benifit Plan that would allow my wife to receive up to 50% of my retirement check if I died. I retired in 1977 and 1994 Clinton's administration changed the law. When the sponsor died the wife could draw either the reduced retirement amount or social security but not both. Under this plan there is a no opt out option and I was forced to continue the payment until age 70. $1,760 per year times 30 years, in my case, for nothing.

VIP Member
    Tricare. Seems like my husband mentioned that the other day. He's an LPC and has started to handle his own billing after moving into a new office. Any gov't type of insurance has been a real beast to work with. Besides the reams of paperwork and runaround, they pay the least and it's been getting worse. Providers have already been turning down patients with poor coverage. If gov't insurance is bad and people can't afford private insurance, then what!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks guys: I got here on page three and most of you have said what I thought about the "Gravy Train" comment. Fortunately I got out in one piece and not too beat up ... though there were a few times I wished I were somewhere else.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Isn't it odd that no matter what our government is involved in, it is poorly managed, costly, fraud ridden and requires massive amounts of paperwork. Obamacare is not even on the street and the first announced costs have doubled. Yes, your husband is correct, I use my Tricare and my wife uses her Medicare, and our primary care doctor has a sign in his waiting room. SORRY I can no longer accept new Tricare or Medicare patients and in smaller print explains the many reasons why. There were many reasons but two were high lighted; One was the reduction in charges that he is allowed to bill to the programs and the excessive amount of paperwork required.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

There are many other things promised at enlistment and on retirement. One that I paid for, a monthly $155 deduction from my retirement check for the Survivors Benifit Plan that would allow my wife to receive up to 50% of my retirement check if I died. I retired in 1977 and 1994 Clinton's administration changed the law. When the sponsor died the wife could draw either the reduced retirement amount or social security but not both. Under this plan there is a no opt out option and I was forced to continue the payment until age 70. $1,760 per year times 30 years, in my case, for nothing.
    The Social Security offset was phased out in 2008 at least according to Military.com. So your wife should get the 50% (actually I believe it's 55%) in addition to Social Security.

As a US Army retiree who spent 16 years of a 24 year career in some god forsaken 3rd world country, of which 66 months was in Vietnam makes me want to puke when I hear someone say that I am on a gravy train. I'd gladly give back the "Gravy Train" and my service connected disablity check just to have my health back. Needless to say both of the above are either union members or work for the governemt. I do like this forum so I think it is best that I just say, Nuff Said, before I get banned. Where is the ignore button.
    I am not in a union, nor do I work in a government job. My wife is and does and it makes me sick to even take money from the government. I harbor no ill will towards service members as a group, but I do have a problem with those who claim to "defend my freedoms" while murdering innocents abroad. Lets call war what it is, murder plain and simple. Putting on a uniform does not change that Don't give me that BS line I've heard a million times "we'd be fighting them here if we weren't over there" and other such nonsense. The truth is WE created the current situation we find ourselves in militarily decades before, with our intervention in the middle east.

I will stand by my statement that the current system can not continue. While I would like to see the promises/contracts honored for our military members, it simply is not feasible. The first programs to be cut should be welfare/entitlements, with cutting military benefits as a last resort. We should instead focus on the ridiculous amount of money wasted in the military on weapons to fight an enemy who is no better equipped than the Viet-Cong or North Koreans. Maybe if we weren't spending billions of dollars a year sending our young men and women to fight against an enemy we don't understand and can never defeat, we wouldn't have to cut their benefits.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    OUCH! I will not comment. But I will ask that you become better informed on what it takes to 'earn' those benifits, compared to a GS-15 at NASA who needs two Contracters to make sure that he/she does not make a fool of the themselve during the presentation of 'science'.

Get a clue! The Military is actually one place in federal spending ~ 20% that is efficient and does not screw the rest of us........... Want to argue that?

Your turn, Sir............. Go for it........... LOL at you. (seriously, drink some wine, read a little, read some more and become better informed).
    I am very aware what it takes to earn those benefits. If you look at my location, Hampton Roads, I am in one of the largest concentrations of military in the country. I speak to many service members, both retired and active, and many agree that we are wasting money on technology to fight an enemy that does not exist. We could handily "win" the "war" in Afghanistan with WW2 technology, but instead we choose to fly multi-million dollar planes to drop multi-thousand dollar bombs, against an enemy that is making explosives out of fertilizer and diesel fuel.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by shadow247 View Post
    I am very aware what it takes to earn those benefits. If you look at my location, Hampton Roads, I am in one of the largest concentrations of military in the country. I speak to many service members, both retired and active, and many agree that we are wasting money on technology to fight an enemy that does not exist. We could handily "win" the "war" in Afghanistan with WW2 technology, but instead we choose to fly multi-million dollar planes to drop multi-thousand dollar bombs, against an enemy that is making explosives out of fertilizer and diesel fuel.
    Just because you are around military, doesn't mean you have a clue what it means to serve,no matter how many AD and veterans you talk to. As far as technology, that's on the leaders who appropriate funding for it.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I am not in a union, nor do I work in a government job. My wife is and does and it makes me sick to even take money from the government. I harbor no ill will towards service members as a group, but I do have a problem with those who claim to "defend my freedoms" while murdering innocents abroad. Lets call war what it is, murder plain and simple. Putting on a uniform does not change that Don't give me that BS line I've heard a million times "we'd be fighting them here if we weren't over there" and other such nonsense. The truth is WE created the current situation we find ourselves in militarily decades before, with our intervention in the middle east.

I will stand by my statement that the current system can not continue. While I would like to see the promises/contracts honored for our military members, it simply is not feasible. The first programs to be cut should be welfare/entitlements, with cutting military benefits as a last resort. We should instead focus on the ridiculous amount of money wasted in the military on weapons to fight an enemy who is no better equipped than the Viet-Cong or North Koreans. Maybe if we weren't spending billions of dollars a year sending our young men and women to fight against an enemy we don't understand and can never defeat, we wouldn't have to cut their benefits.
    Dude do you have no shame? These brave service members no matter what your thoughts on war are, are the line between some muslim/commie terrorist cutting your head off or sleeping sound at night. Im appauled at your thinking. These guys wanted to do the right thing. The soldier loved his country enough to make the sacrifices most people would not. How about cutting spending on welfare and people who are having babies just for another check. How about drug testing people who spunge off the system. I cant undersand the thinking of people today.. Thats whats wrong with the country today, no discipline, and spoiled entitled people... I have a hard time relaying what i think sometimes when I get hyped up and pissed off But GOD BLESS ALL YOU VETS. Active and retired! Semper Fidelis

VIP Member

War is and always has been hell. We aren't killing "more innocents abroad".
    You can thank Obama for the rules of engagement, and Bush to some degree, for tying the hands of our military. If the President (whoever is President) would stay the heck out of the way and let the military fight the war, it would be a lot shorter and we would win.

Don't think for one moment that the countries in the Middle East that we've been fighting wouldn't like to see every last one of us dead, including you.

I'm not going to say any more because I shut down one thread a day and I've already met my quota. However, you need to rethink your statement because that's the kind of thinking that will lose our country for us.
    mg27, msgt/ret, Spirit51 and 1 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Re: So Much For Obamacare Will Have No Effect On Our Military

I'm as big a fan as you will find of military cutbacks but we need to do it by bringing the troops home and cutting the size of the force, not by cutting our support for those who remain or have already served.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links