Roommate problems...

This is a discussion on Roommate problems... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So my roommate and I moved in with one another so he would be able I keep his job and not have to move back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Roommate problems...

Roommate problems...

So my roommate and I moved in with one another so he would be able I keep his job and not have to move back in with his parents. I already had a place to live but he was a friend so I found someone to take my place there and moved in as a favor to help him out. Now 8 months into our year lease he has decided to quit his job and open a restaurant an hour from our house .

He hasn't moved out yet however rarely stays there and has kept all of his belongings there. He has now decided he doesn't have to pay all of his half of the rent because he no longer gets a steady check and is "hurting for money". Which I believe it's safe to say we all are currently. Should I just tell him to get his things out so I can replace him and have someone's be in for the duration of the lease. Or should I have him keep paying his full share of the bills and hold him responsible for his commitment.

2. Remove Ads

At a minimum he needs to pay for the storage of his belongings or get them out so you can get someone else to move in and help with the rent and utilities. You can't afford to support him. If he doesn't understand that he's not a friend.
    atctimmy likes this.

I'd hold him responsible until he's replaced, unless you made another agreement or contract (verbal, written or otherwise) initially.
    archer51 likes this.

I would say if he is on the lease make him responsible unless you wish to be a nice person and are able to handle the bills. I know if it were me I would make them pay the bills but that's me. I am a little confused though if he is hurting for money how he can open a restaurant? It did catch my eye
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really hate folks who claim to be a friend and take advantage of you. Who signed for the lease where you and he are staying? Or you can tell him to put his stuff in storage(it's cheaper than rent) and then find a new roomie. One way or another, you need to make him hold up his part or cut ties. It's called adult responsibility.

In all reality, you need legal advice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

He's "on the bus". At least he probably would be if I was you.

Heartless in the heartland,

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    Tell him to get his stuff and get out ASAP. The likelyhood of him "coming into some money" is nil. You aren't going to get paid or compensated so cut your loss quickly, find someone else to move in with you if you can.

Serveral important questions have been asked, especially about the lease. Until we know more specifics it's hard to give advice other than, he's a deadbeat. He may be nice, but he's a deadbeat.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Is he on the lease?

What does it say on the lease that he owes a month?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    If his name is on the lease, as well as yours, he is responsible to pay his share. If he isn't on the lease, give him 30 days notice to vacate and find another renter to share with you.

PS.- If that is what he does to friend, it sounds like it is time to end the friendship and find someone more reliable.
    atctimmy and Jetfuelrm like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sit down and have a discussion with him. Tell him you can't afford it with him not paying his fair share and tell him you'd like to find a new roommate at the earliest opportunity. If he balks, or can't abide by what is fair, take him to Judge Judy! She'll tear him a new one!

Whatever you do, keep good records of all money spent. Rent, utilities etc. And keep track of what he pays. Get receipts for everything, including cash transactions.
    tclance, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Roommate problems...

We made no agreement at the beginning of the lease as we both intended to be there the full year. Both of our names are on the lease and I just called him and we discussed It, after I read your responses. I told him that I could not afford it alone and that he needed to be responsible for his commitments. He broke down and agreed that he needed to do this so he will be paying me the bills for January and will have his things out within the month so I can have someone move in. Thank you all for your advice.

Glad that it seems to have worked out.
    I'd still keep a 'paper trail'.OMO
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like he is pretty immature...and he wants to open a business..He entered into a written contract and until you find a replacement he is liable for his 1/2 of the rent.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad it worked out for you. Yes have a paper trail
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Do everything you can to find housing that does not require you to have a room mate. Never, ever have a room mate. Share living with your wife, but no room mates. You can all argue until the cows come home, but I've experienced/witnessed nearly 300 room mate situations and only about 20 worked out. And all of those but one, were women.
    Darrow75 and KZinOKC like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links