Pictures of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Today - Borrowed from Another Forum

This is a discussion on Pictures of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Today - Borrowed from Another Forum within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this on another forum and thought it was something worth sharing here. Legend of the, Ho Chi Minh trail | Laos GPS Map...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pictures of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Today - Borrowed from Another Forum

I saw this on another forum and thought it was something worth sharing here.

Legend of the, Ho Chi Minh trail | Laos GPS Map
    MACC12, rigel42, ANGLICO and 1 others like this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

VIP Member
    Very interesting pictures, especially the tunnels and the psyops leaflets. Thanks for posting!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Amazing history.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed there still is that much war time scrap there after all these years.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

StarPD45
    No thanks. I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed there still is that much war time scrap there after all these years.
    They are a primitive people. They still dig things out of the ground with pointy sticks and hand made rope, so I'm not surprised they haven't gotten around to cleaning things up.

Most of the metal tools they have are almost all hand made from reclaimed scrap metal left over from the war. With no modern forges or molding material, it's all very rudementary and basic in design.

Their attitude is let the jungle reclaim it. Which eventually, it will.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    They are a primitive people. They still dig things out of the ground with pointy sticks and hand made rope, so I'm not surprised they haven't gotten around to cleaning things up.

Most of the metal tools they have are almost all hand made from reclaimed scrap metal left over from the war. With no modern forges or molding material, it's all very rudementary and basic in design.
    Isn't it amazing that the lack of modernization doesn't stop people from creating the things they need?

Dad met mom during that war and brought her back. Mom can make do with just about anything, and nothing goes to waste. When we had a snowstorm that knocked out the power for days, most everybody else fled to the hotels. Not us. Mom shrugged, made a fire the old fashioned way, and we kept on going. And that's the mentality when you're born and raised with no electricity and running water. Primitive, but extremely resilient.

She hasn't traveled back there in years, but she had some interesting pictures of downed American planes that are still on display in some towns.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories, last saw the trail during Lam Son 719 in Feb to April 1971
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Now I know where all the bombs on my Buffs went!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Me always having had a fascination for knife making and blade fabrication I particularly enjoyed seeing the forges that were constructed to smelt scrap found steel and forge it into useful implements.
    Bark'n likes this.

Amazing stuff!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Wow, pretty interesting to see. This really was not that long ago people. A simple blink of the eye.....

Very interesting, passed along to some of my older Vet friends, thanx!!
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

It's amazing how they just walked away from all that stuff when the war ended.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Isn't it amazing that the lack of modernization doesn't stop people from creating the things they need?

...And that's the mentality when you're born and raised with no electricity and running water. Primitive, but extremely resilient.

She hasn't traveled back there in years, but she had some interesting pictures of downed American planes that are still on display in some towns.
    Very true Betty. I am always amazed at the resourcefulness of people with what we consider to be very limited means and resources. And always with such high spririts and outgoing personalities. Very close knit groups with strong family values. You rarely see a frown on someone's face.

You see the same thing with the indiginous population who live in the South American rainforests.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links