What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend.

This is a discussion on What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I learned that my daughter always told em to talk guns with me, and they'd be golden, until I caught on to it. After that, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend.

I learned that my daughter always told em to talk guns with me, and they'd be golden, until I caught on to it. After that, I would sit em down and let them watch a couple of videos of the MG shoots I'd go to. I'd then say, You ARE gonna respect my daughter, now aren't you? What always got them was that fact that I would say, "see that, it's tracer. (while shooting the M60 LMG) I use that, every 5th round, so I can lead ya a little"
    NEVER had a problem with those guys.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    This may sound a bit pedantic given the humorous tone of this thread, but as a father of two daughters (now in their 20's) I'll say this. Raise your daughters to have a positive and strong self-image. Teach them what is right and wrong. Help them through their teenage years to avoid the negative peer pressure that is so pervasive these days (easier said than done I know). Teach them to be independent and think for themselves (even if what they think isn't what you'd prefer). Treat your wife, or women in your life, the way you want boys to treat your daughters, they learn a lot by that example and it establishes what a good relationship is. Girls with self-confidence and a positive image of men/women relationships will chose boyfriends that treat them with respect and reject those who do not.
    Same here . What you said worked well for me with 3 girls .
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

4 daughters didnt have problems with the 2 oldest, dont see a problem with the 2 younger ones. Taught them to think for themselves and not care what people said or thought about them. The boys always asks my daughters if I just got out of prison when they first see me ,lol I dont even have to say a word to them ,they just admit being scared of me.
    Once likes this.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

StarPD45
    Makes me kinda glad I only had boys. Although I do have 4 grand daughters.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Funny story my father-in-law told me one day. Mom, Dad and young daughter all said it really happened.
    A young man came to pick up one of his younger daughters. Dad knew a little something about him. Dad is sitting at the kitchen table and invites young man to sit.
    Mom brings out a brown paper sack and hands it to the young man. Dad says "look in the bag". Young man opens it and looks, there's a soup bone inside.
    Dad says "If you get hungry, gnaw on that and leave my daughter alone. You see that shotgun over there in the corner? I mean what I'm telling you"!
    Young man takes the daughter to dinner, skips the movie, brings her home early and never returns. Mission accomplished.
    pittypat21 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    This may sound a bit pedantic given the humorous tone of this thread, but as a father of two daughters (now in their 20's) I'll say this. Raise your daughters to have a positive and strong self-image. Teach them what is right and wrong. Help them through their teenage years to avoid the negative peer pressure that is so pervasive these days (easier said than done I know). Teach them to be independent and think for themselves (even if what they think isn't what you'd prefer). Treat your wife, or women in your life, the way you want boys to treat your daughters, they learn a lot by that example and it establishes what a good relationship is. Girls with self-confidence and a positive image of men/women relationships will chose boyfriends that treat them with respect and reject those who do not.

I think the same way. My daughter is 7, and like mom, I take her out on "date nights with dad". The purpose is not only to bond, but to teach her how a man should act around her. I will continue to treat her, open her door, talk to her with full interest and respect as long as she will join me. My prayer is that my example of a man will set the standard for hers.

When the day comes and a boy comes over, he and I will have an understanding that will be as clear as the scope on my rifle.
    Ksgunner, mkh, Sontag and 1 others like this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Funny story my father-in-law told me one day. Mom, Dad and young daughter all said it really happened.
    A young man came to pick up one of his younger daughters. Dad knew a little something about him. Dad is sitting at the kitchen table and invites young man to sit.
    Mom brings out a brown paper sack and hands it to the young man. Dad says "look in the bag". Young man opens it and looks, there's a soup bone inside.
    Dad says "If you get hungry, gnaw on that and leave my daughter alone. You see that shotgun over there in the corner? I mean what I'm telling you"!
    Young man takes the daughter to dinner, skips the movie, brings her home early and never returns. Mission accomplished.
    If they never come back you know they weren't worth it in the first place!
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Had a buddy that went over to the house of a girlfriend the night she became his fiance. The father took him downstairs where there were a multitude of knives (they are American Indian). The fiance warned him that it was culture for the father to give a gift at this time, and to just accept it. So when the father said, "Choose any knife on this wall," my buddy did. He took it down, looked it over, and handed it to the father.

Then the father said, "Thank you. You have just chosen the knife I will castrate you with if you hurt my daughter."

Message received.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

So I hope all you "glad I had boys" fathers trained said boys NOT to be the kind of jerks that need the shotgun lessons, you should shoot him yourself if you ever find him mistreating his girlfriend, and he should expect it.
    I hope your sons aren't "the kind your dad warned you about"
    thephanatik likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    I'm not a father but when and if the time comes, I'll simply tell the young man this:

"Remember: Anything you do to her, I'll do to you."

Then I'll blow him a little kiss, add a little wink. That should freak him out pretty good.
    From personal experience, delivered with a straight face, it definitely gives him a moment of pause.

VIP Member
    I do a bit of recon ahead when I can. If I find he is not a Christian, I inform him that my daughter is a Christian woman, give him the address and start time for church and tell him I expect to see him there weekly. I also let him know that the expectation in our family is to eschew pre-marital sex and that he is expected to live up to that code. Finally, I inform him that dating is to evaluate whether, in this case, my daughter is the right gal for him to spend his life with. If he decides she is not, that's fine, but I expect him to end it then with dignity. If she decides he is not Mr. Right for her, I expect him to take her decision with dignity even if it hurts.

If he sticks around a while, we go to the range. He is then aware that I own guns. Early on, we will have had the talk about how a husband should treat his wife and I will inform him that if he becomes abusive, I will intervene. If he has been around this long, he is a smart boy, he will connect the dots. The trash rarely show up to begin with when they know they have to talk with Daddy.

I do like, but do not have a D.A.D.D. shirt. Dads Against Daughters Dating: Shoot the first one, word will get around. Of course it is a joke, but a funny one.
    mkh likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

As a youngster I always found the girls with the fathers who had the "shotgun in the corner" attitude were the girls who were the wildest.

As soon as they were out of daddy's sight, they were ready to cut loose.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

A few years ago (early 1980's to be exact) I had that "talk" with the father of the girl who I was to marry. He'd had a few beers too many and took me outside to tell me that if I ever hurt her, he do x y and z blah blah. I told him that he'd probably have to worry more about anyone else trying to hurt her rather than me. Of course he was a bit tipsy and those words never sank in.

Fast forward to the '90's and she turned on me, simply refused to want to be my wife and would not explain why. I never hurt her, cheated on her or any of the crap her dad thought I would. Needless to say the impending divorce came to pass. Actually found out later that she had an affair with a co-worker and that prompted her leaving me for him.

So, sometimes the "daughter" might just end up being the one who does what the guy is going to be accused by dad.

The story has a happy ending however. I found a wonderful woman. Her dad (now deceased) had the "chat" with me but it was like "the Native American dad usually took the groom out hunting to see if he could provide. I don't hunt but golf. We need to hit 18 to see if you are good enough for her." I laughed and that was it. We had a few rounds whenever I got the chance.

We have been married now since 2004, she has her carry permit and totes a Ruger LCR, loves to shoot targets and I love this woman with all my heart.
    Jeanlouise and d2jlking like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    ROFL, my daughter, now married for ten years, used to tell me that I frightened the young men that showed up at our house. She said I didn't say too much, but it was the "look" that unnerved them.

Re-run on the Ten Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter

Rule One:
    If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
    You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose his compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four:
    I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
    It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six:
    I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
    As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:
    The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
    Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
    OldVet, Once, skatalite and 2 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links