What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend. - Page 4

What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend.

This is a discussion on What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With the nuclear family on its death bed, this next generation wont have to worry much about meeting Dad....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend.

Re: What to say when meeting your Daughters boyfriend.

With the nuclear family on its death bed, this next generation wont have to worry much about meeting Dad.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    With the nuclear family on its death bed, this next generation wont have to worry much about meeting Dad.
    Positive additude works for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    First time I ever met my girlfriends grandpa he came over, shook my hand and said "If you ever hurt my granddaughter, I'll kill ya." I just told him he'd have to wait in line.

Does that mean you've been a target for awhile or......

I remember earlier this year I was doing tree-service with this awesome guy I worked for in Missouri and we got done early one day and went back to his house to drop off the chipper and what not, coming down the road we could see his house and we saw some kid running out of his house as FAST as he could, jumps on a moped and speeds off into like two yards to shortcut onto the road. The look on my bosses face was PRICELESS!!! His youngest daughter was home and was ready to talk to dad when we got into the driveway. They had a nice 30 minute chat about having boys over when mom and dad aren't home. That won't fly with my wife and I. Hopefully she won't have any boyfriends until she's like 21 or older but I know I might as well think I'm going to win the lottery if I want that to happen.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

mkh
    I don't say much but I do:

1. Mumble something about the bodies in the lake being exposed as the water level is dropping
    2. Open carry
    3. Always manage to be cleaning the Ar or the AK

My daughters were raised right and I trust them...but not the boys. They have told so many of their friends that I am a cop (actually ex-cop) that some potential boyfriends have been scared to meet me. That's okay by me.

I'm 26 (just to put this in perspective), here are my meeting the father experiences or lack of.

The majority of girls I 'dated' in high school, never met my parents and I never met theirs. The high school I got into was in a very wealthy part out of town (used a friend's address to get into it, city schools were hardly any different than the streets) and parents were either always at work and/or out of the country. Mostly doctors, executives, international lawyers, types.

The woman I dated the longest (after high school), was really the only one who had a dad around. He pretty much just said "If you hurt my daughter, I'm the last of your worries". She had four older brothers, five male cousins who were pretty much brothers, and tons of uncles. They all lived in the same town. I pretty much got the message.

And that sums it up, gentleman.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    This may sound a bit pedantic given the humorous tone of this thread, but as a father of two daughters (now in their 20's) I'll say this. Raise your daughters to have a positive and strong self-image. Teach them what is right and wrong. Help them through their teenage years to avoid the negative peer pressure that is so pervasive these days (easier said than done I know). Teach them to be independent and think for themselves (even if what they think isn't what you'd prefer). Treat your wife, or women in your life, the way you want boys to treat your daughters, they learn a lot by that example and it establishes what a good relationship is. Girls with self-confidence and a positive image of men/women relationships will chose boyfriends that treat them with respect and reject those who do not.
    That is the best advice, and so true. And dads, you can be a good dad and yet still fail at this: you MUST be there for your little girls. Not just "present," but emotionally there for your girls. She must be able to talk to you without fear. Take her out shopping, fishing and whatnot so she knows you are there for her. Girls who do not have dads who are active participants in their lives WILL scramble for the first guy who gives them attention.

Been there, done that, honors student, order of protection against an ex boyfriend, still have to use a crowbar to pry a conversation out of my dad.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    This may sound a bit pedantic given the humorous tone of this thread, but as a father of two daughters (now in their 20's) I'll say this. Raise your daughters to have a positive and strong self-image. Teach them what is right and wrong. Help them through their teenage years to avoid the negative peer pressure that is so pervasive these days (easier said than done I know). Teach them to be independent and think for themselves (even if what they think isn't what you'd prefer). Treat your wife, or women in your life, the way you want boys to treat your daughters, they learn a lot by that example and it establishes what a good relationship is. Girls with self-confidence and a positive image of men/women relationships will chose boyfriends that treat them with respect and reject those who do not.
    Thats good advice
    My daughter is only 3 right now & the wife & i have already worried about her teenage years.
    The other day my wife asked me why i dont worry about our son's teenage years (he's 5 now) & i simply stated "with caleb i only have to worry about 1 penis but with hailey i have to worry about hundreds" she laughed for like 5 minutes...
    Actually i think i like the "drunk uncle" scenario that Martin Lawerance & Will Smith played out in the movie "Bad Boys" when redgy came to pick up his daughter
    mulle46 likes this.
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I don't have children yet but when my daughter brings a boy home I'm thinking I'll pull some inspiration from "30 Minutes Or Less". Hand him a teddy bear shot full of holes and smile. "I liked that bear. I don't even know you." And when my son starts dating it'll be more like "Son, if you cheat on her, hit her, get her pregnant or otherwise break her heart, I'll do that girl's father a favor and end you myself."

My daughter's only 8 weeks old, so we are a long way off from having to worry about boyfriends. My plan is to teach her values in the way that I treat her mother. I will also be teaching her how to shoot guns from an early age, as long as she is interested of course. With any luck she'll also take to riding motorcycles, which will hopefully teach her some responsibility. I'm going to let her know from an early age that she is free to do whatever she likes, but she is also free to deal with those consequences. Daddy's not going to bail her out of her bad decisions, that's the way I was raised by my father, and I think I turned out pretty well.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

You guys can try to scare your daughters suitors but the reality is it's up to your daughter to make the right decisions. When push comes to shove if your daughter is in love with him there will be little you can do to stop it.

What would you say if your daughter brought home a girl friend to meet you or your son brought home a boy friend to meet you??? (it happens)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I have a son, and Lord Willing me and my Fiance are gonna try for another but no girls.. CANT.. do it.

I'll be burying boys of varying ages in my back yard for even looking at her.

I don't take kindly to threats. If some out of shape, middle aged dude ever threatened to kill me, he would have more to worry about than I would.

I've met a bunch of fathers of girls I've dated. They were all reasonable.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    When I talked to my daughter's date I made sure they set in a chair where they could see the two very large crossed 12 gage shotguns mounted on the wall behind my chair. Never had a problem.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I don't take kindly to threats. If some out of shape, middle aged dude ever threatened to kill me, he would have more to worry about than I would.

I've met a bunch of fathers of girls I've dated. They were all reasonable.
    Sounds like you're one of those that fathers everywhere are watching for.
    ksholder likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links