Hunting attire

This is a discussion on Hunting attire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Learned something this year-- don't buy hunting attire during the season. I've always hunted with rifle, so I could wear pretty much whatever I wanted. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hunting attire

Hunting attire

Learned something this year-- don't buy hunting attire during the season.
    I've always hunted with rifle, so I could wear pretty much whatever I wanted. I don't exactly have to sneak up when I'm shooting 200 yards or more.
    Decided to try out archery this year, so went and got some Scentblok and a couple Under Armor shirts/pants. I won't say how much they cost, but wow, it wasn't cheap.
    At a Dunhams yesterday and every piece of Scentblok and UA gear they had was 40 to 60% off. Gander had their brand of hunting gear at 70% off. Meijer (local grocery store/Wal-Martesque store in Michigan) was selling Scentblok so cheap, I could have bought 4 shirts for what I paid for the one 4 weeks ago.

So, this leads me to the question-- is this normal? Are hunters as bad as golfers when it comes to wanting the latest and greatest clothing? I mean come on, how many different Real Tree patterns can there be?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Learned something this year-- don't buy hunting attire during the season.
    I've always hunted with rifle, so I could wear pretty much whatever I wanted. I don't exactly have to sneak up when I'm shooting 200 yards or more.
    Decided to try out archery this year, so went and got some Scentblok and a couple Under Armor shirts/pants. I won't say how much they cost, but wow, it wasn't cheap.
    At a Dunhams yesterday and every piece of Scentblok and UA gear they had was 40 to 60% off. Gander had their brand of hunting gear at 70% off. Meijer (local grocery store/Wal-Martesque store in Michigan) was selling Scentblok so cheap, I could have bought 4 shirts for what I paid for the one 4 weeks ago.

So, this leads me to the question-- is this normal? Are hunters as bad as golfers when it comes to wanting the latest and greatest clothing? I mean come on, how many different Real Tree patterns can there be?
    People are stupid. If you take a bath, and use scent free soap on clothing and skin, you could go hunting in your Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes.
    OldVet likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Now to answer the question, as you posted.

Large stores often will place seasonal items on drastic markdown, after the initial rush of what would be opening-day, for whatever your hunting. You're also getting markdowns on what they've bought more of for Christmas gifts.
    The stores are clearing their shelves off for the next seasonal item that comes along.

I hope that was the response you are looking for.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Retailers and their suppliers are great at creating perceived needs and logical or emotional reasons to compel consumers to purchase said items to fulfill such needs. Of course, that is their business. They must be good at that business, or they are not in business very long. Consumers, however, are not so skilled at determining their real needs versus their wants. Thus the dichotomy.

There is nothing inherently wrong in the above, but a consumer needs to make their own cost versus value decision accordingly. About the only clothing brand name I am loyal to is Wrangler (my jeans) and Carhart outwear. I tried UA once and hated the price and the way it fit, and went back to my old stuff.

The other dynamic working in this environment is the deep discount pre- and post-season sales cycle. Retailers are desperate for good holiday sales, so they rush to discount to keep analysts happy, which leads to consumer delay (in anticipation of even deeper discounts) and it ends up a boon to consumers. Additionally, retailer are attempting to minimize their inventories at year-end, hence clearance sales in January (most big retailers are January year ends).

I am not a hunter, but that is my "consumer schtick".

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Now to answer the question, as you posted.

Large stores often will place seasonal items on drastic markdown, after the initial rush of what would be opening-day, for whatever your hunting. You're also getting markdowns on what they've bought more of for Christmas gifts.
    The stores are clearing their shelves off for the next seasonal item that comes along.

I hope that was the response you are looking for.
    Yeah. Beats being called stupid. Thanks!

Beats being called stupid.
    Retailers are generally very good doing what they do. They do it full time and their livelihood depends on being good.

You learned, hence your questions, and responses. Do the same thing next year, and you might worry

I paid full price for my Winter UA, once. Didn't even like the darn things.

Administrator
    Hunters are worse than golfers with the latest and greatest thing IMO. There is always the group that thinks the more they spend on stuff the better off they will be, instead of practice, scouting etc. retailers and manufactures know this and capitalize on it.
    rocky and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hunters are like everyone else looking toward technoligy to make us better. You simply have to have the latest camo pattern on before you climb into your fully enclosed shooting house. Makes me smile every time I see it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I have never used scentblock, deer pee, or anything similar. I wear jeans, boots, a camo orange coat, shooting gloves and orange stocking cap. I get a deer every year.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Yeah. Beats being called stupid. Thanks!
    Please! I didn't call you stupid, but take it as you want.

Hunters are mostly a good variation of the shooting public who think if they have the latest and greatest of gear it equals success.
    But don't take a response as a personal attack when it was clearly a generalization.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Don't beat your self up you just paid for an education. If that's the worst you do in a long lifetime of hunting consider it cheap! DR
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Now for the second answer…
    I do not know how many camouflage patterns that are available, but I have some for hardwoods, swamps, bright green for early-season and turkey hunting, some that look like cattails and rushes for duckhunting and for some reason I have some snow camo, even though we get about an inch of snow every six or seven years.
    But the funniest thing to me, is for most of my hunting I have to wear X number of square inches of blaze orange! Go figure…
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

thats exactly why i usually buy all my hunting attire after hunting season and stock them up for next season, i usually go with the cabelas, gander mountain and bass pro shop brands since they are usually dicounted the most and work all the same when hunting from a deer stand
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

You'll probably pay full price for some basics you want when the season starts your first year. Then you'll start keeping an eye out for what you need and what's a good price. I started out with bibs and a heavy coat and figured out quickly that like the stay-puffed marsh-mellow man, I couldn't move... Forget archery. For that I found an old pair of BDU's with fleece pj's under did the job. Had a doe, fawn and 6 pointer come up 20yds from me this year. Didn't suspect a thing. Stuck the 6 pointer but he got away (shoulder blade). Of course it helps if you're not sitting in the tree stand drinking Jack and smoking a Camel. They do smell you but if you know your land, wash your clothing scent free, and store it in bins so it doesn't smell like this morning's bacon you'll probably do just fine. And shower...

Good luck. You will spend a lot of money, you will love every minute of it.

JIm

I've used an old college hoodie and Carhartt jacket with jeans when rifle hunting. But, archery is a lot different. Wouldn't believe how powerful those sniffers are when you get too close. So, I think the scentblocker is worth it-- just not at list price.
    I know you weren't calling me stupid, just being a S.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links