Some photos from snowy PA

This is a discussion on Some photos from snowy PA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hope that everyone had a great Christmas and practices a safe new years! We got hit last Wednesday with a storm that let down probably ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Burns
  • 2 Post By Spirit51

Thread: Some photos from snowy PA

Hope that everyone had a great Christmas and practices a safe new years!
    We got hit last Wednesday with a storm that let down probably 6-9" and then it continued to come down over the weekend, we like to get out in the pick up trucks and go venturing out through the state forest and the mountain ridges to have a little fun. On our trip out Saturday we seen a vehicle with its 4-ways on, on a path off the main road (this path leads to a gate that is usually locked). I approached the car from the rear a lady hoped out of the car and I herd dogs just going nuts, here she thought her AWD KIA would trek through the 8-10" of heavy wet snow on this path that the only tracks there were from our ventures on Wednesday. The tow hooks they put on these cars will not accept a general chain hook so we had to do it the old fashion way... SHOVEL SHOVEL SHOVEL. After I asked about her dogs (3 were pits) she said she would walk out and I could back her car the half mile back out. She was very happy that we stopped.. I am sure we saved her a $400-500 bill and who knows how long she would of been there.

Well stay safe everyone!

-Jared

PS This first picture shows the gate that would of been at the end of the path she was on, notice the tracks and how deep the snow was.. this was on Wednesday BEFORE the additional snow!

c1.jpg
    c2.jpg
    c3.jpg
    snowroad.jpg
    turnpike1.jpg
    PA turnpike slowed down to 45MPH after being shut down for short period of time

VIP Member
    She was very lucky you came along to shovel her out. It could have turned out very badly.
    Good job!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What's all that white stuff? Sun-bleached sand?
    Lish and thephanatik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Scratching my head here, I could only wish we had that little amount of snow - that could only be a dusting snow for me.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Contrary to popular belief 4-wheel and all-wheel drive are not substitutes for common sense, she is very lucky you came along and rescued her. When I was stationed in California just about every year or two there would be a fatality where someone ventured onto a road they never should have been on and got stuck. Invariably they did not have any kind of rescue tools or other survival equipment.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Scratching my head here, I could only wish we had that little amount of snow - that could only be a dusting snow for me.
    I hear ya, come try out a Wisconsin winter OP ;)

2nd to last photo is really cool.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Contrary to popular belief 4-wheel and all-wheel drive are not substitutes for common sense, she is very lucky you came along and rescued her. When I was stationed in California just about every year or two there would be a fatality where someone ventured onto a road they never should have been on and got stuck. Invariably they did not have any kind of rescue tools or other survival equipment.
    Yup. I made my wife an emergency kit for the winter and threw it in a bin in the trunk of her car. Includes blankets, hand warmers, winter gloves and hat, sweatshirt, lighter w/ candles, 3 road flares, homemade first aid kit, gorilla tape (like duct tape), a few tools for simple car repairs, and a Swiss army knife. I also charged one of my older flip phones and put it in, the battery kept a full charge for over 2 years (while turned off). For those who don't know, a cellphone can still be used to call 911 without service, so take one of your old ones and throw it in your vehicle in case of emergencies!

In total it cost me about $20, the rest of it was stuff that most people have laying around anyways.

Still keep forgetting to get the most important thing tho, a shovel! I'll have to pick one up today.

Drive safe out there people!
    msgt/ret and Sontag like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

If you don't have to get out in it ....it is very beautiful. Tonight it will be beautiful.

Everyone have a safe and happy new years. Remember....hope springs eternal.
    Lish and msgt/ret like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

It is very beautiful - my kids beg to see snow all the time, while I like to look at it on my computer screen, I don't miss it one little bit!!!!

VIP Member
    That was one of the greatest pleasures while stationed at Travis a two-hour drive and I could have all the snow I wanted in winter then another two-hour drive and I was out of it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Awesome pics & story, fail_187. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Yup. I made my wife an emergency kit for the winter and threw it in a bin in the trunk of her car. Includes blankets, hand warmers, winter gloves and hat, sweatshirt, lighter w/ candles, 3 road flares, homemade first aid kit, gorilla tape (like duct tape), a few tools for simple car repairs, and a Swiss army knife. I also charged one of my older flip phones and put it in, the battery kept a full charge for over 2 years (while turned off). For those who don't know, a cellphone can still be used to call 911 without service, so take one of your old ones and throw it in your vehicle in case of emergencies!

In total it cost me about $20, the rest of it was stuff that most people have laying around anyways.

Still keep forgetting to get the most important thing tho, a shovel! I'll have to pick one up today.

Drive safe out there people!
    Thanks to you as well, Burns. I have an emergency kit, but thanks for the reminder; I need to add a few things for colder weather. By the way, the old cell phone suggestion is a great one.

VIP Member
    Kitty litter or sand in a gallon jug or in fact the kitty litter container.
    When stuck, it may just give enough grip to get un-stuck.

My daughter just runs out of the house with no hat on, coat unzipped, with nothing in the vehicle to have if stranded.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

She knows daddy will come get her!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Links