genealogy software ??

This is a discussion on genealogy software ?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is anyone currently using a genealogy program that they really like. I did a search for it and there are tons out there. What are ...

Thread: genealogy software ??

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

genealogy software ??

Is anyone currently using a genealogy program that they really like. I did a search for it and there are tons out there. What are any of you using, and what do you like about it?

The one main drawback I keep finding, I think this is interactive programs of any kind, is you have to have the program to view it. If I put all of the names, and pics into a program, for anyone in my family to view it, they have to have (buy / borrow) the program.

Also, what about the online ones, I don't want anyone but who I want to be able to access it. Do they work better, and worth the anual cost, vs buying a software program?

Thanks in advance.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I use a program called Reunion that I like a lot. The bad news (probably) is that it is a Mac only program. There was a PC equivalent, but I can't remember what it was called.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If there's a mac program then there should be 100's of pc programs similar.:)

Actually I prefer using something like smugmug over those programs. You can make a diagram of the family tree to look at or print out then post thumbnails with captions/information of each person. I know it's not the same as having a program made for doing this, but it lots more flexible concerning control over who sees them, etc. Smugmug:

" security & privacy

Passwords ensure the only people who see your pictures are those you give the password to."

So even though it takes a little more work to me it's better for sharing as far as I'm concerned. Plus you have it for making all kinds of other galleries.

Assistant Administrator
    My wife did a boatload of work in this field not many years ago - in fact she was trying to write a book - but still has to get back into it sometime.

I quite forget what she used and I know you have to pay for some. I will try and remember to ask her later and report back if any useful info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I use a program called Personal Ancestral File. It's a very good FREE program that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints offers. go to www.familysearch.org and you can download it. Don't worry, missionaries aren't going to show up at your door.

The church is VERY into family history. That website is also a very good free tool to use. I got about 4500 names from there.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I too am into researching my famiy's geneology. But I have not found a program that I really like.

I have heard good things about the LDS program, I'll give that a try.

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - checked with my wife and she puts top of list http://www.ancestry.com/ - while it is one you have to pay something for she reckons it enabled her to dig deeper than most places.

She endorsed the Mormon site already mentioned.

Also and if I recall right - http://www.newspaperarchives.com/ - which led me to http://www.newsbank.com/genealogists/

I think this was it - where she said she managed to find some very useful records. Might be worth further exploration.
    Chris - P95

Ancestry.com and they have a program called Family Tree Maker that's the best I've seen.

Tree can be broken down by sides of family, individuals and their lines, etc. Also has ability to add detailed information on individuals as well as pictures and the layouts can be varried in traditional tree, flowchart, fan type flowchart.
    A really nice program.
    Last edited by .45acp; October 17th, 2006 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    Ancestry.com and they have a program called Family Tree Maker that's the best I've seen.
    I agree. I've used Family Tree Maker for several years. Once you've bought the software, it is very easy to upload your data to the genealogy.com website so your friends and family can view it without the need for them to have the software on their computer. The basic program is very easy to use and has many great features. Since posting my data on the web, I have been contacted by many relatives that I didn't know about and they have been instrumental in helping me add to my genealogy file. The Family Tree Maker software is available at any computer store, or online at many sites like Amazon. Sorry if my post sounds like an advertisement for the software, I just wanted to share my personal experience with the software.

Note to 4my son:

When you upload your data to the web via Family Tree Maker, you have several options. For example, you can choose to privatize the file which hides dates (e.g., birth, marriage, death, etc.), and you can, if desired, assign an ID and password that must be entered before anyone can view your site. The site even has a place for you to list the e-mail addresses of those you want to provide the ID and password to, or to advise them any time the data has been updated.
    Last edited by gimpy; October 19th, 2006 at 08:40 AM.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your help, Seems the consensis is for Ancestry.com, one other person I talked to that is doing this, is also using the Family tree maker and Ancestry .com.

Chris, one interesting note. My (unsure how many greats) grandfather, took Tobaco to England and got it started over there, there was a letter from the Queen thanking him for bringing a cash crop to England, but it is in the hands of a part of the family that has gone a different direction. I'm getting a copy of the work my cousin has done here shortly, hopefully that will give better info.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - sounds like an interesting quest ahead of you - best of luck with it - I believe the sleuthing can be addictive!
    Chris - P95

Another program that I use is named Legacy, and is available as a free download in the standard version. It is also available with extra features for a fee. I use the free version.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Links