I think I need to invest in an impact wrench...

This is a discussion on I think I need to invest in an impact wrench... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My friend's girlfriend asked if I could replace her rear struts as one of the springs broke and both are leaking fluid. Neither of them ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By atctimmy

Thread: I think I need to invest in an impact wrench...

My friend's girlfriend asked if I could replace her rear struts as one of the springs broke and both are leaking fluid. Neither of them barely have the money to buy the parts, much less the labor (quotes were $500+), so I said no problem, I would replace the strut assembly on both sides for under $300. I've done it in the past with only a few hours of work. It should just be a drop the old one out, put the new assembly in.

If only life was that easy. The bolt that pinches the strut to the wheel hub was heavily rusted and broke off on BOTH sides. I sprayed them with PB Blaster yesterday and let it sit overnight, came back this morning and sprayed it again, let it sit, then hit it with a torch, and tried backing them out with a breaker bar a bit, re-applying PB Blaster and heat and turning it a bit more. I was able to turn them about 1/5 of the way out before the heads snapped.

I've spent the better half of today drilling one side and almost got that strut out and I need to do the same for the other tomorrow. It appears that it's a fairly common problem with the Taurus and some people replace them with a nut and bolt, which I will be doing.

Sorry, just need to vent a little. It's been a fairly frustrating day.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

mmm...that is bad.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Speaking as a "car guy" who does a lot of his own wrenching, yeah, for strut work, an air wrench is virtually mandatory. In some cars, the top nut will only rotate the strut in position. You need the torque of an air wrench (or failing that, complicated ways of weighing the car down) to get the job done.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Administrator
    "It appears that it's a fairly common problem with the Taurus and some people replace them with a nut and bolt, which I will be doing."
    Just send it back to Taurus. They will fix it for free.

JK/JK

I know that must have been frustrating...just trying to cheer you up a bit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "It appears that it's a fairly common problem with the Taurus and some people replace them with a nut and bolt, which I will be doing."
    Just send it back to Taurus. They will fix it for free.

JK/JK

I know that must have been frustrating...just trying to cheer you up a bit.
    That shipping quote is a killer though.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I do drifting as a hobby... believe me... I HATE working on my car and I feel your pain. Replacing old subframe bushings with solid aluminum ones sucks too when you dont have a press.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    I do drifting as a hobby... believe me... I HATE working on my car and I feel your pain. Replacing old subframe bushings with solid aluminum ones sucks too when you dont have a press.
    My son drifts a BMW M3. I'll post a picture when I get on my computer. Maybe start a "What do You race" thread.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Rusty suspension can be a PITA. An impact can help, but sometimes you just end up breaking the bolt off anyway. I was extremely lucky when I put the lift kit on my 4Runner, as it had 346k miles on it. Luckily the PO had the shocks changed about 30k miles before I bought it, so it wasn't too tough of a job.

When I am preparing to work on stuff that I know is rusted out, I will start off by blasting with PB-Blaster every day for a few days, then when it comes time to actually remove the bolts, I will hit them with a BUTANE torch, this can cause a fire, so be ready with the extinguisher. Once the smoke clears though, the bolts usually come right out.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Welcome to my world...

Usually its better to apply a constant torque to a bolt that has exposed threads that are rusted...

A good pivot-head breaker bar may help.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Links