woodworkers lets see some pics

This is a discussion on woodworkers lets see some pics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I really like woodworking ,so ill post some pictures of things that i have made for customers recently, i would really like to see your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woodworkers lets see some pics

woodworkers lets see some pics

I really like woodworking ,so ill post some pictures of things that i have made for customers recently, i would really like to see your woodworking projects too, so lets see those pictures!! first picture is a hand dovetailed miniature chest second is a primitive drysink.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Nice work.

I love working with wood but sadly have few pics of old work. That was a long time ago too. I still have my wood lathe.

Being tho an engineer and loving metals - that has been much more of a thing - and if you want I can invade your thread with some items in that field.?? I have over time made many gadgets and tools to extend my lathe versatility.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Chris, start a thread if it's not appropriate for this one -- I'd love to see the metal gadgets you've made, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would.

Rimfiredude,
    I'm confused. They look cool, but are those things that were just made? Were they made deliberately to look that old? If so... not sure I can get with the notion of making something new look artificially that old...

P95,sure I would like to see pictures of anything ,anybody makes.I really like looking at handmade stuff doesnt have too be wood .i like to make tools myself too especially if it makes a job easier .so bring on them pics

peacefuljourney
    i make mostly antique reproductions ,yes those two items were made in the last month or two out of new wood and then aged artificially with stain and sometimes chemicals,we mostly make furniture out of poplar lumber that we buy from the amish here in kentucky because we can still buy wide boards, sometimes as wide as 18 inches, but i make things out of walnut and cherry too.

It's beautiful work, and I admire the skill and knowledge it takes to make it.

My only reservation is that it seems so popular these days for people to want the shallow appearance of something, without the substance.

What do people want the antique look for? I guess it's to impress those who look at it. I myself would feel self-conscious with the knowledge that I was leading people to a false impression by displaying "antiques" that were not truly old.

I'm sorry, I don't want to steal your thread. It's fine work, that much is clear.

Assistant Administrator
    Ok then - here ya go!

The first three pics show a collection of stuff made over quite some time and also a while ago. I won't describe each item right now but will answer any queries if needed.

The round table in one pic was something (old casting) I converted and modified into a vernier scale rotating table and used it for some tricky dividing jobs at times.

Last pic shows three items in more detail - more recent pic to show some detail. I might take fresh pics of some other stuff one day but over time, some things are not as bright as they once were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Afterthought - this was a small project I set myself once - a smoker for marking metal. To give some scale it was made out of 1 1/4" round bar and is 3" long. It is filled with fuel oil and wick burns with nice sooty flame. ''O'' ring seals allow it to be carried leak-free in pocket. Sadly it suffered some corrosion tho cleaned up moderately well.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

peacefuljourney
    thanks for the compliment and to answer your question.
    a lot of people canot afford true antiques and i sell mainly to these people and i tell everybody that buys my furniture that it is new .and i sell to a lot of furniture dealers that deal in new reproductions . a lot of people just like to decorate using the old looking stuff without the cost involved but i like the antiques too.

Lew
    I built this table for my step dad 2 years ago. The frame is steel. I have the plans still if anyone wants to copy it. Took about 4 hours including set up and clean up.

There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

WOW! chris some really nice tools there, though i dont know what some of them are, they look really well made!!

lew
    that looks like a nice picnic table,i need to make something like that for myself because mine [a storebought one that has a bad case of the rot] might just fall apart!! i just have too find the time to do it!!

Lew
    Geezzz, looking at all that cool stuff Chris, I feel like a hacker.

I did design and build this, borrowed the theory though....

My Telescope
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

here are a few more.
    first one is a reproduction of a country huntboard ,second picture is a stepback cupboard.
    hey lew i bet that telescope is a blast to look through on a good clear night .
    Attached Images

Lew
    Your an engineer Chris? Then you will probably be one of the very few who will understand my company logo and acronym. Pratt Logistics/Alexander's Express. PL/AE Sound right for trucking?

My Blazer Website

Wow. There's really interesting stuff, here. Of course, it makes me sad because I think I missed my calling. I would really have loved to get into a line of education and work that had me making things like this stuff you guys make. Is it too late?

Chris, that last thing you posted, the metal tube with the wick, you called it a smoker for marking metal? What do you mean? It looks almost like a wick-type cigarette lighter! What's its purpose?

And what kind of education did you get to be able to make all that stuff? A college engineering degree, or is it something less difficult to obtain?

(Sheez, do I really have to go back to college for engineering?! I need to figure out what, at 35, I really want to do!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links