Finally got to the gun store this evening

This is a discussion on Finally got to the gun store this evening within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...and was able to talk with the store employees. Seems like things may be cooling down. The good news, lots of lever guns and revolvers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got to the gun store this evening

VIP Member

...and was able to talk with the store employees. Seems like things may be cooling down.

The good news, lots of lever guns and revolvers left. Plenty of 38 and 30-30 ammo. Just about all the semi- autos are gone except for a few consignment guns. The only new semi pistols were all 380 pistols.

The bad news...a bit of price gouging going on. I had hoped the store would have been above this. I know the owners and they are good people. I'm very surprised by this.

Well a gun dealer just lost a couple of gun sales from me since a gun is useless without ammo, that is unless you plan to hit the BG with the butt of your gun. I am investing in Ammo so I can use my weapons for protection and some target practice.

Im ok with my present of guns. I am on an ammo binge though.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My LGS was short on anything assault, most mags, and .223 ammo. Pistol cases were still filled (althought prices were significantly higher), plenty of shotguns and rifles still there. Mainly just a lack of "military-style" firearms.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One of our local shops still had handguns and some shotguns last week. Went in there today and they were sold out of everything. Owner said lots of people came in before Jan. 1 to buy things.

I just wish I could find some 9mm ammo!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    One of our local shops still had handguns and some shotguns last week. Went in there today and they were sold out of everything. Owner said lots of people came in before Jan. 1 to buy things.

I just wish I could find some 9mm ammo!
    Too bad you aren't in Ohio. I picked up two cases at their regular price Sunday at Fin, Feather and Fur in Ashland. They were sold out of .223, and didn't have a black semi-automatic rifle in the store, but still had plenty of semi-auto pistols at regular prices.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    ...and was able to talk with the store employees. Seems like things may be cooling down.

The good news, lots of lever guns and revolvers left. Plenty of 38 and 30-30 ammo. Just about all the semi- autos are gone except for a few consignment guns. The only new semi pistols were all 380 pistols.

The bad news...a bit of price gouging going on. I had hoped the store would have been above this. I know the owners and they are good people. I'm very surprised by this.
    Is this store in Harrisonburg by any chance?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    No ammo here in Wichita Falls texas either..I'm going to invest in a reloading machine...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I've visited almost every LGS here in Boise the last 2 weeks, some multiple times. While inventories have been completely decimated (especially AR models), I can thankfully report that none of them have raised their prices because of this latest rush. This really made me happy because I swear I wouldn't have ever returned to the shop that was doing this.

I got one of the last ARs at my local LGS the week following the Newtown shooting, and I even paid less than MSRP for it. Ammo is hard to come by though. I have a total of 40 rounds on hand. SGAmmo.com seemed to be getting fresh stock of pistol ammo, but there's still little if any reasonably priced practice ammo that I can find. Fortunately I laid in a decent stock of 9mm before this mess started.

Glad I cast my own and have a good lead and mold stash. I have been planning on this scenario for 20 plus years. I am good go for a looong time. Everybody knew this might happen.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Glad I cast my own and have a good lead and mold stash. I have been planning on this scenario for 20 plus years. I am good go for a looong time. Everybody knew this might happen.
    I just reloaded 200 223, 100 with 55grain FMJ Mil Surp bullets,and 100 with 55grain bullets swaged from 22 LR brass,Gotta load 100 more,then switch over and load 500 9mm 125 grain Cast lead for a friend of mine I charge him $60 for 500 rounds.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    No ammo here in Wichita Falls texas either..I'm going to invest in a reloading machine...
    Good luck finding components!
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sontag View Post
    Is this store in Harrisonburg by any chance?
    No it isn't in the burg.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post

Don't be too ticked at them. I was a little ticked at first when I started to see some people raise some prices until I heard some rationale about it. The LGSs are turning cash over fist right now but the problem is, when their inventory runs out, they're stuck. The smaller shops are low on the totem pole and can't replenish their inventory the same as a Brownells, for example, can do it. So the money they make now has to tie them over until they can clear the hump - when they can finally get some inventory back in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links