Remember when I said Tx really appreciates Veterans

This is a discussion on Remember when I said Tx really appreciates Veterans within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well there is now legislation that if it passes will exempt Disabled Vets from paying property taxes in the Great State of Texas Proposal would ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cold Shot

Thread: Remember when I said Tx really appreciates Veterans

Remember when I said Tx really appreciates Veterans

Well there is now legislation that if it passes will exempt Disabled Vets from paying property taxes in the Great State of Texas
    Proposal would exempt veterans from property taxes : News : ValleyCentral.com
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I work with the property tax stuff in my state on a regular basis. I am an appraiser for the Assesor.

Naturally, we get blamed all the time because "my taxes are too high" and I have heard this from former Armed Forces people. The one man who was really irritated about his property value kept insisting that because he was a Veteran, I should treat him different, lower his value so his taxes would decrease. Well, unfortunately it does not work that way. I must be fair and equitable to all property owners.

This would be a good thing. I would not be in opposition due to where I work, but it also could make others a bit miffed due to setting aside one class of people for preferential treatment. I can almost hear the phone calls to the Tax Dept and the State Legislature of TX over this.

Then, the law makers must make up for the lost revenue of these Veterans, so while a good thing, it may have some unforseen consequences.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well there is now legislation that if it passes will exempt Disabled Vets from paying property taxes in the Great State of Texas
    Proposal would exempt veterans from property taxes : News : ValleyCentral.com
    I think this is great! I wouldn't be for exempting all Vets but the ones that are disabled because of war injuries...definitely!
    Another reason to love Texas!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

It's still state-sponsored redistribution. I'd rather someone establish a non-profit that helps with these types of things.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I work with the property tax stuff in my state on a regular basis. I am an appraiser for the Assesor.

Naturally, we get blamed all the time because "my taxes are too high" and I have heard this from former Armed Forces people. The one man who was really irritated about his property value kept insisting that because he was a Veteran, I should treat him different, lower his value so his taxes would decrease. Well, unfortunately it does not work that way. I must be fair and equitable to all property owners.

This would be a good thing. I would not be in opposition due to where I work, but it also could make others a bit miffed due to setting aside one class of people for preferential treatment. I can almost hear the phone calls to the Tax Dept and the State Legislature of TX over this.

Then, the law makers must make up for the lost revenue of these Veterans, so while a good thing, it may have some unforseen consequences.

We already do this for Democrats.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt this will fly as there are far too many Vets out there, and the Non-Vets would have to make up the difference. Even as a Vet I would see that as unfair. Many serve their country and communities in manners other than actual military service--LEOs, firemen, etc. At what point whould we stop choosing who is "priviliged" and who is not.

Some counties here give disabled Vets a break on property taxes (10% I believe), but not such "no" tax for any exclusive class.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    It's still state-sponsored redistribution. I'd rather someone establish a non-profit that helps with these types of things.
    Maybe, or maybe instead of redistribution, it's more like the Texas economy is thriving, and the state government wants to lower taxes, and this is a good place to start.

I don't really know the details, but it isn't redistribution. To redistribute, the government must first take someone's money, and then give it to somebody else. I'm all for the government just not taking people's money, and especially for disabled vets.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Being a veteran myself, knowing a number of disabled war veterans and at risk of sounding uncaring and cruel, I agree with bombthrower.

Even during the founding of our nation, some of our founding fathers wanted to establish a government fund for disabled Revolutionary War veterans, their widows and children. A noble and caring gesture but, it was soundly defeated. Evidently, even back then they realized it was wealth redistribution, wrong and what doing that would eventually lead to.

Historically America is a caring nation and takes care of their own (IMO). The family, community, church and social benevolent organizations are much better equipped to organize and efficiently administer the needs of the community.

As an example, name one successful government program that is a success, not being totally abused and / or going broke and breaking us?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Links