Can You Expalin This One................ - Page 2

Can You Expalin This One................

This is a discussion on Can You Expalin This One................ within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am having trouble finding the article, but the "billion" rounds purchased by Homeland security amounts to around 200 or so bullets per agent, which ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can You Expalin This One................

  1. #16
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,914
    I am having trouble finding the article, but the "billion" rounds purchased by Homeland security amounts to around 200 or so bullets per agent, which is coincidentally about the number of rounds they are required to fire per year in training.
    According to the math, that would mean that Homeland Security has at least 5 Million agents. I realize that they have expanded their ranks somewhat but 5,000,000 agents?

    Yeah, its a big organization, but it aint THAT big.
    atctimmy and goawayfarm like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array KBSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast, MS
    Posts
    653
    I retired from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in 2008 and again in 2011. I worked for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), later rebranded as Homeland Security Investigations or HSI. HSI is considered the investigative arm of the DHS. Thousands of Special Agents (around 5K when I retired), and within DHS you have the U.S. Secret Service (Investigations and the Uniformed Division) couple thousand gun toters I'd think, Enforcement Removal Operations (Immigration detention and removal work) over 4K gun toters, and FEMA, and the Federal Protective Service (FPS), and TSA. It all adds up to thousands of armed officers and special agents. (I realize that most of TSA employees aren't armed, but they are part of DHS, and they do have some armed employees).

    The qualification for all DHS armed employees is quarterly. A minimum of 60 rounds per pistol per qualification course, per pistol. Many are issued multiple, usually two at least. Qual's are usually an all day deal, with everyone shooting more than just the required courses of fire, and then the Agents shoot some tactical/scenario based courses, to fine tune their skills. Breaks those habits of standing in one place shooting at paper targets. Those officers issued rifles (M4 carbines), submachine guns (H&K MP5s), or shotguns (Remington 870's) must qualify with those weapons as well, every quarter.

    And that doesn't take into account the ammo that everyone is issued, and that they carry with them, or store at their homes or in their assigned GOV's.

    When you add it all up, there is a real need for lots of ammunition to support this HUGE agency. I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that other agencies piggyback on the contract as well, to take advantage of bulk price discounts, so some of this ammo could be going to Justice Department agencies, or any of the Land Management Agencies or Inspector General outfits, that all have gun toters on the payroll.

    Bottom Line: I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about the ammunition purchase issue.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I retired from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in 2008 and again in 2011. I worked for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), later rebranded as Homeland Security Investigations or HSI. HSI is considered the investigative arm of the DHS. Thousands of Special Agents (around 5K when I retired), and within DHS you have the U.S. Secret Service (Investigations and the Uniformed Division) couple thousand gun toters I'd think, Enforcement Removal Operations (Immigration detention and removal work) over 4K gun toters, and FEMA, and the Federal Protective Service (FPS), and TSA. It all adds up to thousands of armed officers and special agents. (I realize that most of TSA employees aren't armed, but they are part of DHS, and they do have some armed employees).

    The qualification for all DHS armed employees is quarterly. A minimum of 60 rounds per pistol per qualification course, per pistol. Many are issued multiple, usually two at least. Qual's are usually an all day deal, with everyone shooting more than just the required courses of fire, and then the Agents shoot some tactical/scenario based courses, to fine tune their skills. Breaks those habits of standing in one place shooting at paper targets. Those officers issued rifles (M4 carbines), submachine guns (H&K MP5s), or shotguns (Remington 870's) must qualify with those weapons as well, every quarter.

    And that doesn't take into account the ammo that everyone is issued, and that they carry with them, or store at their homes or in their assigned GOV's.

    When you add it all up, there is a real need for lots of ammunition to support this HUGE agency. I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that other agencies piggyback on the contract as well, to take advantage of bulk price discounts, so some of this ammo could be going to Justice Department agencies, or any of the Land Management Agencies or Inspector General outfits, that all have gun toters on the payroll.

    Bottom Line: I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about the ammunition purchase issue.

    I'm concerned why FEMA needs ammo. What the frack does FEMA do that they need "gun toters".
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  4. #19
    Member Array IronMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    278
    the reeducation camps need guards,guards need ammo.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

  5. #20
    Senior Member Array KBSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast, MS
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm concerned why FEMA needs ammo. What the frack does FEMA do that they need "gun toters".
    FEMA uses the Federal Protective Service to do the majority of their work, which would involve firearms. When FEMA prepositions supplies for storms, etc...they use FPS as their security force primarily.

    Once the storm hits, an emergency is declared, the Stafford Act kicks in, FEMA then contracts for security services to supplement the FPS (For instance, Blackwater Inc. were in New Orleans post Hurricane Katrina), and reimburses other agencies (like my old agency) for help. After Katrina we had several thousand agents patrolling the city of New Orleans, 24X7 acting as the Police, while the NOPD regrouped after their force was decimated by their officers being adversely affected by the storm, or for those that just deserted in the face of the storm. For several months, we always had two Special Response Teams on duty, working with FBI Swat and NOPD Swat. From August to December of that year, ICE Special Agents were on the ground in large numbers.

    I could be wrong, but it's my belief that the only actual armed FEMA people would be within their Office of Inspector General or IG piece. That's the Internal Affairs like unit that every Federal lAgency maintains, to ensure that the good guys remain the good guys. :)

    Hope this helps.
    atctimmy likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

  6. #21
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,678
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    According to the math, that would mean that Homeland Security has at least 5 Million agents. I realize that they have expanded their ranks somewhat but 5,000,000 agents?

    Yeah, its a big organization, but it aint THAT big.
    They will do a lot of deputizing during TEOTWAWKI. 5 million isn't an unreasonable number.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  7. #22
    Ex Member Array CharlesMorri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    286

    Can You Expalin This One................

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    They will do a lot of deputizing during TEOTWAWKI. 5 million isn't an unreasonable number.
    Especially when you consider this...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357434143.427763.jpg

    These are hollow point rounds, not rounds used in any military operation.

  8. #23
    Member Array giz5792's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Virginia,MN
    Posts
    68
    I didn't even know the Social Security Admin. needed to have armed agents.

  9. #24
    Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Exact center of CA
    Posts
    1,730
    174000 divided by the 300 Social Security Officers = approx 600 rounds each. That doesn't sound like a lot. DR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can retired department of homeland security employees carry a weapon?

,

dhs ice fps

,

dhs preposition ammo

,

has fps/ homeland security rejected the glock?

,

www.whywoodfemaneedthousandsofhouldpoint bullets.gov

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors