Idaho Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1B

This is a discussion on Idaho Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1B within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation’s top liquor and wine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Idaho Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1B

VIP Member

Thumbs down Idaho Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1B

Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation’s top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.

Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages’ addictive nature.

“If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened,” Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man. The plaintiffs’ crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho’s Kuna facility.

Their lawsuit, filed in Boise’s U.S. District Court last month, targets eight defendants, including Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller Brewing and the owner of Jim Beam whiskey, American Brands. The inmates claim the companies are responsible for their crimes and should have put warning labels on their products.
    Idaho Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1B - ABC News

Yep, they are not responsible for their own stupidity it’s someone eleses fault, they are just innocent victims. Maybe the judge will tack on another year or two to their sentences for wasting the courts time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

'The "bottle" did it, yer honor. I's innocent of the crime.'
    -- Perp
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If the government can blame guns and gun manufacturers for gun violence, and get away with it...why not blame alcohol companies for crimes committed while under the influence. The example that the government has set is that nobody is responsible for their own actions, its always someone else's fault...the government doesn't even take responsibility for making the country 16 trillion in debt. Makes me sick...what happened to this country.
    mulle46 likes this.

Makes sense to me. It is the same stupid reasoning used for banning guns. Pansies, sack up! We are becoming a nation of wussies.
    atctimmy and phreddy like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Any attorney taking money for this wasteful scheme should be thrown into jail with his client.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    These types of frivelous lawsuits are often filed by the "jailhouse lawyers" themselves, as is so in this case I believe. That's what happens when they gain access to the prison legal library for the wrong reasons. I see no future in this case other than a quick dismissal--or I hope so.
    msgt/ret and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Probably don't have an attorney but an inmate legal aide doing the work. You'd be amazed at how good some of those guys are. I'm sure it won't go any where but I'm glad they filed the lawsuit. It gave me a good laugh!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Hopefully they wont even entertain this stupidity.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

As crazy is this sounds, inmates have the right to file lawsuits.

Access to the Courts

States cannot interfere with the right of a prisoner to petition a court for relief. Neither a state nor a prison official can refuse, for any reason, to review a prisoner's applications and submit them to federal court. In addition, a state is not permitted to prohibit prisoners from having law books or legal papers in their cells on the basis that such materials tempt other prisoners to steal or create a fire hazard. If a prisoner is indigent, the state cannot require him to pay even a small fee to file legal papers with the court. However, a prisoner association cannot have filing fees waived. The right to proceed as an indigent party is allowed only for individual prisoners.

Prisoners have a fundamental right to legal counsel that requires special consideration. Prison officials must allow reasonable times and places for prisoners to communicate confidentially with their attorneys. Prisoners who cannot afford an attorney generally turn to fellow inmates who are experienced in arguing their own cases. Assistance from these jailhouse lawyers was forbidden in most prisons until 1969, when the Supreme Court, in Johnson v. Avery, 393 U.S. 483, 89 S. Ct. 747, 21 L. Ed. 2d 718, held that prisons cannot completely forbid inmate assistance unless there is an alternative for prisoners.

Prisoners must be provided with writing materials and law books. Additionally, prisoners must be able to have their legal papers notarized.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

^^^^^Sounding as crazy as the "STOOGES" ..LAW FIRMS. Kickem, Harter & Indagroin... Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.... Ditcher Quick & Hyde ( divorce lawyers)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

VIP Member
    This is very typical of the waste of money that goes on in prisons. These lawsuits cost US a fortune in wasted time, funds, personnel and clog up the courts. The prisoners have lots of time on their hands and filing a suit is free and probably very entertaining for them.

I bet the ACLU takes up their cause...another total waste of taxpayer money.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    One of the reasons they file these things is that they get to leave prison for court appearances, etc. Its a field trip for them.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

People sued the Tobacco companies and won even though each person willingly put in in their mouth and smoked it. There's been warning on tobacco since I was a little boy. My dad called them "cancer sticks" yet the lawyers won some, not all, of the cases.
    phreddy likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    As Billy Joe Shaver put it, "The Devil made me do it the first time. The second time I did it on my own."
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    ... These lawsuits cost US a fortune in wasted time, funds, personnel and clog up the courts. The prisoners have lots of time on their hands and filing a suit is free and probably very entertaining for them.
    More so than you think JL. Just who do you think pays for Anheuser Busch's lawyers?

One of the companies I worked for maintained a staff of more than a dozen attorneys, just to handle lawsuits. Yes, legal costs got calculated every year when I reviewed, and instituted, price changes.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links