The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music

This is a discussion on The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Isn't it odd, where were all these bone heads when "Rap" was popular? Their lyrics were mostly about wasting cops and "hoes". I know, I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Isn't it odd, where were all these bone heads when "Rap" was popular? Their lyrics were mostly about wasting cops and "hoes". I know, I worked in Southingon for a short while, they were part of the Rap craze.....

I would warn the people to be very careful in what they wish for. Disallowing people to express themselves in any form will be chipping away at our 1st Amendment rights and will play into Obama's agenda. I am quite sure there is a liberal democrat elected representative deeply involved in the Southington "Book Burning" effort, with a Hartford Courant news crew following closely in his footsteps.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A movie need not be violent to invoke a murderous blood lust. J'ever see "A Walk in the Clouds?" - A Walk in the Clouds (1995) - IMDb

I had an urge to kill after I was forced to sit through that film.

VIP Member
    If the "burners" believe their kids are becoming aggressive, fearful, anxious and desensitized to acts of violence, then the simple act of burning their movies/games/music will not "cure" them. But it's easy for the same parents who plop their kids on front of the tv all day as a pacifier to turn around and blame that tv when their kid grows into a rotten apple. Kids have become desensitized and violent because they have no respect for others and self, no moral compass, no sense of responsibility and civic duty, or a combination of those along with misdiagnosed, undiagnosed, or poorly treated mental health issues.And those parents don't want to believe they have any responsibility for that. So on top the fire the movies go, a nice little gesture and a tiny step in cleaning their own mess, but that's probably the only step most of them will take, because they'll breathe a big sigh of relief like it's all fixed when the plastic has been reduced to ashes.

It's so easy to blame things because they're so tangible.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

For those opposed to this just remember that they are expressing a 1st A right to demonstrate, gather, and destroy what they want and given to them voluntarily. Just like I support the act of OC'ing by idoits that are trying to bait cops I support anybody exercising any right whether I agree with it or not. I do not pick and choose which rights I like and don't critizice those expressing legally any right they have.
    Brad426, DMan and dukalmighty like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For those opposed to this just remember that they are expressing a 1st A right to demonstrate, gather, and destroy what they want and given to them voluntarily. Just like I support the act of OC'ing by idoits that are trying to bait cops I support anybody exercising any right whether I agree with it or not. I do not pick and choose which rights I like and don't critizice those expressing legally any right they have.
    You and your rational thinking are very annoying at times.
    DMan likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Might as well go after the First Amendment too.

There is a HUGE difference between voluntary programs that have no legal authority to mandate anyone to take charge. I have burned several things in my life (books included) that I just didn't want other people to have (sister comes to mind). If something is mine, I can choose to do with it what I want. If I can get a couple bucks out of it.. that is capitalism. If I choose to buy it and destroy hoping I can a little but of satisfaction, or feel just feel like I am throwing my money away, that is my choice. Relating stuff like this to dictatorships, and forcing subjects to take part versus allowing it citizens to make willful choices is a bit far fetched. I sometimes raise my eyebrows at the people that are so insistent that the 2nd amendment be protected (like myself) but forget that the 1st amendment is just as important. In fact the 2nd is there to protect the 1st. I will always ALWAYS argue to let the left say what they want, how they want so long as it does not cause harm to others. As soon as limits are set on what and how things can be said, we loose the constitution completely. I may disagree with them, but I thank God that I live in a country that allows everyone to say what they want, and how they want, so long as no harm is done.

This issue today is not guns, it is not violent video games, it is a complete lack of parenting, and teaching kids that there are consequences for their actions.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Might as well go after the First Amendment too.
    Come on people! You don't eliminate the Second Amendment and then go straight after the First! You have to build to that... it's 2, then 4, 3, 8, 9. Maybe 5 and 10. Then 1. Be sensible, people!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Where's that Penn Teller video link again?

Also, I can't help but think of this sarcastic quote. "Scientists baffled by Canadians' ability to watch movies, play video games and not shoot each other."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links