The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music

This is a discussion on The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the weeks since the events in Newtown, Conn., there have been a number of topics discussed: gun control, mental illness, and violence in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The ugly: Connecticut town wants to destroy violent video games, movies, music

In the weeks since the events in Newtown, Conn., there have been a number of topics discussed: gun control, mental illness, and violence in the media, for example. The town of Southington, Conn., is focusing hard on that final item, and asking its community to trade in violent video games, movies and music so they can be destroyed later this month.
    Violent video games, movies and music have got to go, so says group in Connecticut town | NewsOK.com

Edit: Ugh, mods, I put this in the wrong forum. If you could move it, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Why is that UGLY? It is volumtary. It is not legislation.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Three words: Scopes "monkey" "trial."

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Fear-mongers will fear whatever they can "mong" that gains sufficient traction. Far better for people to, at long last, begin taking personal responsibility again for the raising of their children, helping them to make good choices in spite of all the schlock they'll come in contact with during their lives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Let's throw in a book burning while we're at it...
    atctimmy likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

So I guess no more listening to Slayer, King Diamond, Cannibal Corpse and other heavy metal I've been taking in over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Why is that UGLY? It is volumtary. It is not legislation.
    Never said it was legislation. But, in my opinion, it is a myopic display that is wasting a group's resources on something that doesn't contribute to a worthy cause.
    atctimmy and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^ Beat me to it. But don't gotget the GI Joe dolls.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    Never said it was legislation. But, in my opinion, it is a myopic display that is wasting a group's resources on something that doesn't contribute to a worthy cause.
    Then why do you care? Don't mean to sound rude but if it makes them feel better why does it bother you? Is it a move toward legislation? Do you think this will snowball into a government sponsored book burning type event?
    Sorry, my heart rate just go up when I see folks that are doing something voluntarily and does no public harm.

They went out of their way to let folks know they are not blaming video games for the Newtown shooting:

"The group's action is not intended to be construed as statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of the shocking violence in Newtown on December 14th. Rather, SouthingtonSOS is saying is that there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and Movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying.
    They are not even saying it is the primary cause but a contributing factor which many folks agree with.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Then why do you care? Don't mean to sound rude but if it makes them feel better why does it bother you? Is it a move toward legislation? Do you think this will snowball into a government sponsored book burning type event?
    Sorry, my heart rate just go up when I see folks that are doing something voluntarily and does no public harm.

They went out of their way to let folks know they are not blaming video games for the Newtown shooting:

They are not even saying it is the primary cause but a contributing factor which many folks agree with.
    They can say this event has nothing to do with Newtown all they want, but it really does have to do with Newtown. Where were the voluntary buybacks before Newtown? And even if the group has had this idea for a while, they're using the emotion leftover from Newtown as their soap box.

It's like the gun control debate currently going on: It's all because of Newtown. And in a couple months, this buyback program will be forgotten and the group will pat themselves on the back, parents will pat themselves on the back, and while the community might feel better, the feeling will dissipate just as quickly as the thought of Newtown did. And the group will tout numbers and statistics to describe how successful the program was, likely while omitting the fact that they gave $25 to anyone participating.

I don't think it'll lead to government confiscations, or any government-sponsored buyback program. But, what it will do is encourage parents to snatch up all of their kids' music, movies and video games, because they are in worry, panic and fear mode. And, these parents will likely do it without consulting their children.

And I know, I know: Parents can do what they want, the whole, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!" spiel. But it also shows a mistrust in their own children when they think of them too sensitive or impressionable.

But, also, people (I'll go ahead and predict many people) will participate simply because of the gift certificate involved. How many people have ever tried to trade in games at a local store? You get jack for them, even newer titles. So, $25, even if it's a gift certificate to a local place, is still $23 more than they would have gotten otherwise. Thus, the participation isn't fueled by the meaning behind the event -- it's fueled by the desire for money.

They'll be burning books soon!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Actually if even a small percentage of those people participating are doing so because they are just now coming to the realization of how violent the games are that they've given to their children, then I'm all for it.
    Brad426, atctimmy and DMan like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    They can say this event has nothing to do with Newtown all they want, but it really does have to do with Newtown. Where were the voluntary buybacks before Newtown? And even if the group has had this idea for a while, they're using the emotion leftover from Newtown as their soap box.

It's like the gun control debate currently going on: It's all because of Newtown. And in a couple months, this buyback program will be forgotten and the group will pat themselves on the back, parents will pat themselves on the back, and while the community might feel better, the feeling will dissipate just as quickly as the thought of Newtown did. And the group will tout numbers and statistics to describe how successful the program was, likely while omitting the fact that they gave $25 to anyone participating.

I don't think it'll lead to government confiscations, or any government-sponsored buyback program. But, what it will do is encourage parents to snatch up all of their kids' music, movies and video games, because they are in worry, panic and fear mode. And, these parents will likely do it without consulting their children.

And I know, I know: Parents can do what they want, the whole, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!" spiel. But it also shows a mistrust in their own children when they think of them too sensitive or impressionable.

But, also, people (I'll go ahead and predict many people) will participate simply because of the gift certificate involved. How many people have ever tried to trade in games at a local store? You get jack for them, even newer titles. So, $25, even if it's a gift certificate to a local place, is still $23 more than they would have gotten otherwise. Thus, the participation isn't fueled by the meaning behind the event -- it's fueled by the desire for money.
    Of course it was inspired by Bewtown...no one said it wasn't. I said that the group is not soley blaming video games and music on the atrocity. And parents can do pretty much what they want with thier kids stuff if they were the ones that gave it to them. And I disagree that most parents will forcibly take away a video game from a child without an intelligent discussion about it.

As far as mistrust......you darn tooten. My son is "perfect" LOL. Seriously, I trust my son but he knew that at anytime he lives in my house and he was uunder 18 that I could look at his computer whenever I wanted. Never did......but the fact is it is called parenting.

I see it as a move to the Right.......

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Here's a pic of another group doing the same thing:

book-burning.jpg
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Better voluntary with the violent games than forcible with my guns!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links